signed on the dotted line, sort of

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

signed on the dotted line, sort of

Post by jobrien »

Back in May, I posted here about possibly buying a new Born Free. Received many positive and encouraging posts. But being skeptical, I also looked at other brands. SOme had nice features that BF doesn't offer, but BF has some that exceed the other brands.

So after careful deliberation, and some twisting of my wife's arm, we are on our way to be happy BF owners.

I have been dealing with Ed Newman and Phil Overby at the factory, and after many phone calls and emails,we will be taking delivery of a 2006 26'RSB model. Tentative delivery is set for 9/7 at the dealership in PA.

Too late for the Northeast rally, but we will still have a few months of camping weather left to enjoy.

In reading recent posts, I guess I will be ordering the seat risers for the chairs, a shelf for over the bed (how do you avoid hitting it), and other suggestions you great people have made to others.

We live in NJ and would enjoy camping with other Born Free owners.

Also would appreciate any suggestions, hints, improvements, etc. you have to offer. This is our 5th motorhome in addition to pop-ups and tents, so we are "seasoned" campers, but there is always something new to learn.

John
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Congratulations on your new BF...My experience has been with my BF, is that the longer you have it & the more you travel in it, the more you will appreciate the quality and workmanship. It's an awesome coach with an awesome company and staff to back it up. You're gonna love it.... 8)
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Thanks for the replies.

Now I'm getting anxious, and we are already planning a few weekends to get to know the ins and outs of our new BF.

The hard part will be taking all the "stuff" out of a 32' class A and figuring out if we need it or don't need it, and where to put it in the BF. Guess we will be rearranging things during the first few trips.

John
bill crommett

Re-aranging

Post by bill crommett »

John: You will be doing more than re-arranging. You will be doing a lot of RE-THINKING. We have a whole pile of boxes in the barn full of stuff that we considered important to our RV experience. Space limitations have shown that much of neccesity in a 31 foot class A turned out to be CLUTTER and dispensible when we down-sized .
Bill
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Bill;

I totally agree with you. If it was only up to me, I would still have empty cabinets inside once we got through sorting everything out. But the other half has her say also.

My only concern at this point is where to put 2 folding chairs and an outside mat (we have a few of different sizes). I really don't like to put dirty, wet things in under the bed or sofa. I will be looking into a hitch mounted storage box for the outside stuff to be put in. Does anyone use one, or know of a decent manufacturer?

John
whemme

NEW 2006 BF 26' RSB MOTORCOACH

Post by whemme »

John,

Congratulations on your new Born Free purchase!

I have a 2002 26' RSB. I cut to fit an inexpensive piece of carpet and glued it down on the linoleum floor in the storage compartment area under the rear bed. This prevents the items being stored there for sliding around too much and reduces the noise from that compartment. Using the compartment door on the rear right side that accesses that area, I have 4 folding lawn chairs and a folded 3' x 3' rubber mat (with round holes in it purchased at Menards) stored under the bed thru that door. Many other items are also stored under the bed including a small air compressor, a small AC vacuum cleaner, a set of socket wrenches, a set of open end wrenches, etc.

I also have a spare tire with rim that I store in the front of the compartment on the left side under the Flexsteel sofabed. So you see, the BF has room to store at least for some of the larger items.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Bill;

Thanks for the tips. I forgot about not having the spare tire. I'll probably pick up a spare without a rim just to save the added weight.

I know there is room under the bed for the chairs and mat, but I'm a "Mr. Clean" kind of guy, and it would bother me to put wet things in there. When I got home I'd have to take everything out and clean the compartment.

I considered the roof pod thing, but I think that would be inconvenient, except for maybe the spare tire if it would fit. That's why I was thinking of the cargo box for the hitch. When I tow the Jeep, I could just move it to the jeep hitch.

Probably won't do any additions or changes until the spring. We'll just use it for the rest of this season, and find out what we would like to modify and add.

Thanks again to all who responded.

John
Taobeemr

Post by Taobeemr »

Hi John- I live in NE Maryland- not that far away from you.

Regarding storage, I bought a Chair Carrier from Camping World. It installs on the rear ladder. I carry two lounge chairs and a table, with a bungee cord hooked around to the ladder. I use a lightweight patio mat, which is folded and stored under the bed, on top of the shallow bin that holds my water hoses....:wink:
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Thanks Ann. I did see those chair carriers in the CW catalog. Considering using them also.

If you ever come up to the NJ or PA area, let me know. We sometimes go to Urbanna VA for rallies with a club we belong to. Have also visited Washington DC area a few times.

John
robert

Post by robert »

When I purchased my 2002 24RB, I had a cargo carrier installed at the BF factory. I have used it exclusively to carry a spare tire, not the wheel.

In an earlier BF (1997 26RSB), purchased used, I had difficulty with the tires. It seemed that everytime I took it out, I would end up blowing an inner dual tire. Of course it always happened when you were several hundred miles from home. It was unusual to find a tire dealer that had a 16 inch tire in stock.

The roof top cargo carrier is just too dificult to reach for every day use. Having passed my 75th birthday, I am not quite as limber as I used to be.

If I had it to do over again, I would have not had the cargo carrier installed, but would have carried the extra tire in the under bed compartment. Since I have a twin bed on one side and a sofa bed on the other, I have plenty of storage area.
whemme

26' RSB TIRE & WHEEL STORAGE AREA

Post by whemme »

In our 2002 26' RSB, neither the rear compartment door or the right side rear compartment door providing access to the under bed storage area were wide enough to permit my spare tire and rim to be stored under the rear bed. That is the reason in my unit it is stored in the front of the compartment under the Flexsteel sofabed.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”