The pain of moving

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tahoe

The pain of moving

Post by Tahoe »

Well, we decided to move approx 1000 miles and sold our house in 2 days, one car in 1 day, half our belongings, started a new job, found a place to rent while looking for a small house to buy, all in 23 days. Probably not a world record, but it sure seems like it. From Lake Tahoe to Whidbey Island WA just north of Seattle.

So I found what appeared to be secure storage for the BF with cameras, a keyed entry, totally fenced, etc. Within 2 days after I left it I returned to take it to dump the tanks and to give it a cleaning after the trip. When I arrived every single access door without a lock was open and they tried unsuccefully to steal the house batteries. They managed to dent the access door however, and scratch up one side of the coach. I was able to buff out any superficial damage, and fix the dent for the most part, but was pretty upset at the security system that didn't work. I'm pretty much stuck using them until we can find a place of our own with enough parking space. Oh well you can't expect everything to go perfectly. Now it's time to explore the area and I have a feeling the BF will be pretty busy.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Rob

Re: The pain of moving

Post by Rob »

Sorry you had such bad luck. Good to hear from you

2003 24RB
Rob and Joan
Tuolumne, CA
stevek

Post by stevek »

I feel your pain. I am always worried about someone breaking into my BF. Good luck on everything.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

I'm pretty sure they were looking for an extra set of keys hidden somewhere. I have since parked it tight against a building so there is access from only the passenger side. Unless it's a really thin person they can't get in to access the batteries, much less slide the tray out. On the passenger side it's in full view of the office and cameras so I feel better about it now, but still want it out of there ASAP. Happy to be here though, it's a very beautiful Island and the camping is endless in the area.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Russ, there's an RV dealer about 50 miles inside Illinois on I-80 called Shabbona Creek RV. They leave all of their RVs unlocked and open 24/7. I was looking there on a Sunday surprised to find them open, and the owner stopped by while doing some chores. We chatted for a few minutes, and I expressed my surprise at all of the units being open (and we're talking about new, $300k units!) His reply was that it's cheaper to just replace whatever may get stolen than it is to replace the item AND repair the damage the crooks do breaking into the units. What a sad commentary on today's society!

Sorry your coach was damaged, but take solace in knowing that it could have happened to any of us, and anywhere. It was just the luck of the draw that it was you, this time.

I wish you well in your new pursuit and your new digs!

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
whemme

Post by whemme »

Roger,

Your comment about that RV dealer not locking the doors on the RVs in his inventory caught my attention. Way back in 1984 we had a thief go thru one of the hangars at our Spencer municipal airport stealing radios out of 4 aircraft in that hangar one of which was mine. One of the aircraft owners never locked the door on his aircraft so the thief never had to break the door open on his aircraft.

Anyway, several months later after the insurance claims were settled on all 4 aircraft, that owner stopped in my avionics shop and stated that you three owners that locked your aircraft doors not only had to pay to replace the stolen radios but you also had to pay to repair the damaged doors; I only had to replace the radios in my aircraft!

By the way, are you attending the Born Free factory rally stating tomorrow?
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
stevek

Post by stevek »

Interesting idea of leaving the door unlocked. I have thought about that. Maybe I should?
But with a Class C, wouldn't the thief just come in thru the Cab Doors rather than trying to break into the Side Door?
Or are they just not smart enough?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Steve, I was a cop for thirty years. There is absolutely no rhyme nor reason for why any crook does anything. I've seen them take crowbars to unlocked doors without trying the knob first. I've seen broken, unlocked windows. I've seen expensive jewelry left behind while the thief stole costume jewelry. No, they're just not very bright. Sometimes clever, but never bright.

And no, Bill... I won't be attending the rally this year. We have a wedding to attend in New Hampshire at the end of September, and my wife couldn't get time off to do both. I WILL be headed to my building in Spencer at the end of the week though.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”