2002 26 rsb sway bars and steering stabilizer

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

brosky

Re: 2002 26 rsb sway bars and steering stabilizer

Post by brosky »

cmeadows wrote:As Bill has already mentioned, the alignment setting for maximum positive caster makes a big improvement in steering stability by reducing steering wheel sensitivity. This requires an aftermarket bushing to get the 5 degrees of positive castor.

We replaced the factory anti-sway bars and found it made a huge difference in the handling of the coach. Some of the improvement came from the urethane bushings included with the new bars that eliminated the slop that was noticeable in the worn-out factory rubber bushings. Installing new urethane bushings on your old sway bars would certainly improve the handling, but the heavier aftermarket bars do more work to keep the coach from leaning in corners. I don’t regret a single penny spent on our Hellwig front and rear sway bars.

We also recently replaced the factory steering stabilizer that had started to show dampness of leaking fluid. We installed a Bilstein 24-174534 Steering Damper. After driving 3000 miles with the new steering stabilizer, mostly towing a car hauler or a boat, I’m totally pleased with the Bilstein steering damper.

You might also consider running beads in your tires to keep them in balance.
Hi Chuck
Was wondering what kind of hitch you were using to pull you car hauler thanks Richard Birch
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Richard,

We use the Born Free bumper hitch to pull our 18 foot Mac-Lander car hauler—an open flatbed tandem axle trailer (another Iowa product). We also tow a Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4-down with a Blue-Ox baseplate and Blue Ox Aventa Towbar. I also installed a Unified Tow Brake from U.S. Gear. Our coach is a 7.3 diesel with a transmission built by Brian’s Truck Shop in Lead Hill, Arkansas. We’ve been well pleased with all of the above—especially the BTS tranny.

Hope this helps,
Chuck
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
deshet

Post by deshet »

cmeadows wrote:Richard,

We use the Born Free bumper hitch to pull our 18 foot Mac-Lander car hauler—an open flatbed tandem axle trailer (another Iowa product). We also tow a Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4-down with a Blue-Ox baseplate and Blue Ox Aventa Towbar. I also installed a Unified Tow Brake from U.S. Gear. Our coach is a 7.3 diesel with a transmission built by Brian’s Truck Shop in Lead Hill, Arkansas. We’ve been well pleased with all of the above—especially the BTS tranny.

Hope this helps,
Chuck
If you decide to sell yours let me know.

7.3 and a BTS transmission is the right combo. Know you only need a 4x4 front axle.
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Thank you for the note. We have no plans to sell. We haven’t spun a tire on a boat ramp which is the most likely place that we would need 4WD. The weight of the Born Free provides plenty of traction on the rear axle for boat ramps and winter snow in the Midwest. For off-road sightseeing, our towed is all wheel drive. It does fine on easy-to-moderate rated 4WD trails. I agree that the 7.3 and a BTS transmission is a good combination. We’ve been pleased with it. Happy shopping! --Chuck
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Mine had a stabilizer installed from previous owner when I purchased it, took the stabilizer off and like it much better so far.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

MarkB wrote:Mine had a stabilizer installed from previous owner when I purchased it, took the stabilizer off and like it much better so far.
Mark, was the stabilizer that you removed the self-centering type with springs for return-to-center?

The Bilstein steering damper that we installed to replaced the factory part was nothing more than a shock absorber. I'm curious because we've been pleased with the replacement.
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Mine used the shock absorber with rubber bushings, Monroe with the Ford insignia on it, ford part no. also.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”