Installing Winegard antenna

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Brent

Post by Brent »

I am going to replace the delta antenna on my coach with the wineguard - I was going to try to get the unit up to Iowa in December but then thought about having Pete in Clermont, FL do the work (he does work on BF units). He has done several of the antennas, but cautioned me that there may be a rattling or thumping on some roads from the unit laying on the roof.

Has anyone else experienced this?

:?:
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
whemme

WINEGARD ANTENNA NOISE

Post by whemme »

I had my Delta antenna replaced with a new Winegard Batwing TV antenna system about 2 months ago at the Humbolt, IA factory. I have driven the coach approximately 500 mile since that installation and have not noticed the noise you are referring to.

The Winegard antenna appears to stow lying down almost flat against the top of the roof. If in fact you experience any thumping noise, I think it could be eliminated by just turning the extension crank like a 1/4 turn to just raise if off of the roof by a 1/4" or so but not high enough so that the antenna stays positioned in it's stowage slot.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I had the Winegard antenna installed at the factory in Humboldt....brought BF back home here to Calif. Never had any problem with noise or 'thumping'....Love that antenna compared to the one replaced.... 8)
Brent

Post by Brent »

Thank you for your feed back - I appreciated it.

I am looking forward to better TV reception.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
whemme

WINEGARD BATWING TV ANTENNA RECEPTION

Post by whemme »

Brent,

I think you will find much improvement in TV reception over the old Delta antenna.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
BornFree_n_Now

WINEGARD ANTENNA NOISE

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Brent:

I would query your man about how he intends to mount it such that it will rattle or thump ~~ the unit is made so that its head with four little rubber feet sit on the roof and force is applied to it via the inside crank ~~ see previous discussion and pictures @ http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... sc&start=0
If it is rattling or thumping it would have to be sitting different than intended or not be down tight enough.

I do believe you will find the improved reception to be worth the effort
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I just picked my RSB up and the factory switched the antenna for me.

No antenna thumping or bouncing on the 3 hour ride home. They ran the antenna wire down the refrigerator vent and it looks like some self stick cable clamps hold it in place on the roof.

John
Willie

New Batwing on Built for Two

Post by Willie »

I have just returned from having a Winegaard Sensar III batwing antenna installed on my 2004 Built for Two. It seems to work very well and is and improvement over the circa 1950’s rabbit ears Delta that was original equipment. Checking it out in my driveway I received all of the local VHF and UHF stations very clearly and three distant stations (40 to 45 miles away) reasonably well. (I did not receive them at all with the Delta and the local UHF stations poorly). The antenna was installed in the existing hole in the roof (had to be enlarged slightly) and utilized the existing coax cable and amplifier electrical wiring. It folds down flat toward the rear of the coach and has about a half inch clearance each side between the a/c and the refrigerator vent cover. At 65 mph it did not thump or rattle. On the roof it lays lower than the a/c so I am not likely to snag it on low branches or wires - unless I drive off with it extended !
I had a local RV shop do the work so it wasn’t cheap: $165 for the antenna and $87 for labor ($121 & $34 at Camping World) but the closest CW to me is 400 miles so I may be ahead. If you are handy and agile you could probably do it yourself with out much trouble (if you can use the existing hole in the roof). I’m not sure its worth the cost but that is a value judgment, I thought I would just pass on my experience to anyone who might be interested.
~ Bill ~
bcope01

Re: New Batwing on Built for Two

Post by bcope01 »

Willie wrote:The antenna was installed in the existing hole in the roof (had to be enlarged slightly)
I also have a 2004 BFT with the rabbit ear antenna. How did the installer enlarge the existing hole? I assume the hole is circular. Could it be done easily with a wood rasp, or is a saw needed?

Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Willie

Post by Willie »

In answer to bcope01's question:
I did not directly watch the installer enlarge the hole but I have just queried him on the phone and he said he used an air driven rotary tool (like a drill) with a small cylindrical grinder on it to enlarge the hole "about one quarter inch without going through to the ceiling". I do know that it didn't take him but about a minute with that high speed tool. He said a battery powered drill with a cylindrical grinder would do the job but take a little longer. Knowing what I know now I think could have done the job myself - but probably fallen off the roof. ~Bill ~
Dave&JanPotter

Re: New Batwing on Built for Two

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Willie wrote:I have just returned from having a Winegaard Sensar III batwing antenna installed on my 2004 Built for Two.
That's great. Thanks for the info. Those clearances looked close and your experience confirmed it. I will probably have to call Kim about this but I wonder whether the Delta antennas are installed in the same place on all the BFT's or just close? A little deviation with those tight clearances could make a simple job more complex.

Post by 5865 »

With help from this forum, I installed a Bat wing antenna in about 4 hours. I used a Dremel tool to enlarge the hole the 1/4" wider by 1/4" deeper and the rest was easy. The antenna just fits in the space and doesn't bounce. We are glad to have the new antenna, sorry I didn't do it years ago.
bill crommett

Bat wing

Post by bill crommett »

I am now almost totaly conviced to trade off the delta for the wingard on my 2004 BFT. I still have a problem to deal with, and that is the stupid dome which is non functional at present and will proably remain so for some time to come. The dome is so close to the Delta that the Delta will not roate all the way in either direction, so I don't know if there will be room for the Wingard foot-print. I will just have to take the 50 miles trip to Camping World and let them figure it out I better do it soon, the gasoline prices in SC just hit $2.199.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Thanks to all who have shared their experiences installing the Winegard Batwing antenna. Last question I have is what model did you purchase and install? As I understand it there are 3 versions of the Sensar III:

RV-3095 - 75 ohm antenna with built-in amplifier. This model includes 20 feet of 75 ohm coaxial cable, 6 foot TV set cord, mounting hardware and a white on/off power supply switch. Switch has +12VDC receptacle, built-in two-way splitter for second TV outlet, a convenient power-on/off indicator light and cable TV input. For exterior RV TV/cable outlet, order WA or WT series weatherproof outlets. Standard elevating tubes 36", includes RV-7042 power supply.

RV-5095 - 75 ohm non-amplified version of the RV-3095. Includes antenna, lift assembly, rotating handle, elevating crank assembly, and 15 feet of 75 ohm coaxial cable. The RA-7596 wallplate amplifier strengthens signal for non-amplified antennas.

RV-7095 - The RV-7095 includes only the amplified antenna and lift with white interior control parts. Power supply & coax not included.

Also, were you able to use the existing wallplate (amplifier?) installed by Born Free for the Braund Delta antenna?

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Speaking aboiut antenna's..............

I had the Winegard installed at the factory. How do you choose between using the roof antenna and cable tv? My Allegro had a switch box and had buttons for ant, cable, vcr, etc. All I have is a switch for the amplifier in the BF.

Is there a coupler/splitter someplace that the antenna lead and the cable lead come together? It would have to be hidden someplace because I can't find it. Kim at the factory said the TV would just have to be programmed for either one, but physically where do the 2 cables join?

Thanks

John

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”