Chrome Tire stems fr Borg Tire - question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mary

Chrome Tire stems fr Borg Tire - question

Post by Mary »

I want to order the following to have installed at the same time as the new RV tires. My tire shop isn't familiar with them but said to order and they would install. Is there anything I need to know before ordering? I now own Mel and Connie's BF 26RB coach and Mel installed Alcoa Rims. He didn't have the extensions on the rear tires but as I will be traveling alone, I feel safer having easier access to the rear inside tires.

Had a bout of health problems but now ready to get on the road. The beads I ordered that we discussed last year have to be poured into the tires while mounting as they are loose. The tire shop uses a bead that comes double bagged with the interior bag containing the beads placed in the tire while it is being mounted. The tire shop says this left in place inner bag disintegrates into a fine powder and will cause no harm. Has anybody used that type of balance bead? I didn't think to ask the name. The owner of the shop says his dad uses these beads in his personal RV.

Any advice or comments most helpful.

Mel, if you read this would you chip in?

My thanks,

... info below copied from an earlier post regarding the chrome tire stems, found using the search feature in the forum:

>>snipped<< Borg Tire is one source. Their kit of 4 chrome metal valves stems for your real duals is DL1EC and can be ordered from the following online source for $120: Dually Valve

This kit is for Ford E350 & E450 chassis model years 1992 thru 2007.<<

The metal valve stems for your two front tires are not included in this kit but can be ordered separately as their P/N VH1224RC at a cost of $14.65 each. They are shown near the bottom of the above website page.
John S.

Re: Chrome Tire stems fr Borg Tire - question

Post by John S. »

I have used powder and there is a special stem you need with a screen. Also checking the tires might mean adding a shot of air to clear the stem from the powder. I did not put the powder in again but I had no issues just the extra work from it. I have decided on my next coach not to have the extensions. I did not have them on my dually and got along just fine. I took them off my 07 as they were where I got my leaks from.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Hi Mary, after I switched to the Alcoa wheels (per the attached picture) it was not a problem checking the tire pressures due to the larger opening in the design of the wheel. Also the fact I had a TPMS that indicated when any of the six tires went below the set limit for that tire, indicating same on the gauge installed on the pillar post. Keep in mind also that the rubber valve stem stabilizer provided with the Dually Valve system is round and would not work in the Alcoa wheels.
Attachments
Alcoa wheel.png
Alcoa wheel.png (57.83 KiB) Viewed 4872 times
Mel & Connie
Mary

Post by Mary »

Mel Wilbur wrote:Hi Mary, after I switched to the Alcoa wheels (per the attached picture) it was not a problem checking the tire pressures due to the larger opening in the design of the wheel. Also the fact I had a TPMS that indicated when any of the six tires went below the set limit for that tire, indicating same on the gauge installed on the pillar post. Keep in mind also that the rubber valve stem stabilizer provided with the Dually Valve system is round and would not work in the Alcoa wheels.

Thank you, Mel, for chiming in. Before I forget, are the inner rear rims the original OEM Rims?

I see the round stabilizer in their install instructions. This is to keep the long inner dually valve stem in place and offer support? If this brand of tire stems won't work, I wonder if the other company that makes this type of metal tire stem would work on the Alcoa Rims? I think it is Tireman metal stems? I need to research those metal stems to see if they might work with your rims.

I'd love to use the system you installed but the prior owner removed all of the little sensors. They are in the bottom of a box of items he gave me. They are not marked by him as to which tire they belonged to; I imagine each should go back on same tire? I've just looked at the little sensor ends and they are not marked that I can see (why oh why didn't he mark them with a black marker when he removed them?)

I cannot find the paperwork for this system in the big file folder so I don't even know who to call and inquire about new sensors for this system.

This tire pressure thing is the worst part of RV'ing for me. I have trouble checking tire pressure, usually managing to lose air when attempting to check it. I did purchase a good quality trucker's tire gauge but so leery of the whole process. Having the use of a system to monitor the tire pressure would be so beneficial.

Mary
Mary

Post by Mary »

OK, just heard back from the shop that sells the Borg metal tire valves. I was asked to test the inner rear rim by seeing if it would hold a magnet. I did and it does, which was explained to me means it is a steel rim. They have provided me with the following information as to which kit I need to order that will fit my rims.
Hello,

Yes the DL2FA is for an Inner Steel wheel and outer aluminum wheel.
The Duallyvalve kit replaces the existing inner and outer stems on your vehicle, you need to go to a tire shop to have them installed.
The inner stems are 6" effective length, the outer stems are special 130 deg bend.
No stabilizer is needed because the inner stem is short enough that there is no need for stabilization.
I have already purchased my new Michelins and the tire shop said they will install these metal valves if I purchase them. They want to do everything at once and are holding my tires until I decide.

Mary

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”