preventative maintenance

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

preventative maintenance

Post by jobrien »

Will be picking up my BF next week. It's a 2006 model and I do not know the build date. It will have about 4,000 miles on it when I pick it up.

We plan on using it until the beginning of Nov. and then will winterize it.

What else do you do on an annual basis as preventative maintenance? Any caulking to check, window seals, etc.? Just trying to think of things I may not be aware of, or helpful hints you may have picked up. I would rather learn from someone else's mistakes than to make them myself :lol: :lol:

Thanks for any advice.

John
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

you are wise to learn from others -- if you pick it up at the factory Kim will give you a very good walk-thru and answer all of your questions - I am not in an area where we have to " winterize " so I won't try to give you advice other than to be sure you check the tire pressures and make sure that the water heating tank is full prior to turning it on -- also check the oil and coolent levels -- I know you will enjoy your Born Free
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

If you have a movie camera, I would suggest you take it with you on the walk-through...that way you can always refer back to information you may need after the excitement of getting your BornFree...A tape recorder will also do as at least you can then record the information to listen to afterwards...Good luck....You're going to love your coach.... 8)
Brent

Post by Brent »

1. I try to follow the Ford recommendations for all service (right or wrong I change oil/filter 2,500 - 3,000 miles).

2. I drink out of the water tank so I periodically test and sterilize the tank (2-3 times a year).

3. I run the generator every two - three weeks for a couple of hours under a load and perform the recommended maintenance from the manual at 125 hours.

4. I clean the air conditioner filters after about 20 hours.

5. I wash the coach after each outing and wax about 2-3 times a year.

6. ALWAYS check my tire pressure each morning on a trip and inspect the tires 2-3 times a year. Check oil and visible fluids under the hood before a trip and at least once on the trip.

7. Put furniture oil on the wood work about 2 x a year.

8. It's kept under cover and plugged into electric all year (Florida).

9. Whenever something breaks - I fix it and don't wait for things to "accumulate".

10. Clean/vacuum after each trip and when needed (keeps stuff from building up in the carpet). Don't forget to vacuum the ceiling around the fantastic fan. I use a carpet runner in the coach.

11. I use a "pre-flight" check list of items before I turn on the key. Keeps me from driving off with the antenna up or the electric hooked up.

12. This may sound silly but I think the best preventive maintenance is to use it a lot!

Always go slow in traffic and leave plenty of room to stop on the hwy.

You can't get careless. If so it may not result in a bad wreck, but it will result in some damage and embarrassment.

BF is a great coach, I'm sure you will have many years of pleasure.
Last edited by Brent on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Thanks for the replies.

Robert, you may not remember me, but I talked to you about your Born Free at a gas station. You were on your way home from the Iowa rally and I was filling up the tank on my Allegro. We talked for a few minutes and then went our ways. We stopped for gas so many times between NJ and MT, I don't remember what state it was in :roll:

John
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Hi John,

Best of luck with your new Born Free. Hope to catch up with you at one of our rallies next year.
Mel & Connie
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Mel and Connie;

I just read the "past rally" post about the Northeast rally last weekend and I'm JEALOUS :lol:

Wish we had ours soon enough to have joined the rally. When is the next one? Never to soon to start planning :wink:

John
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi John -- I do remember you and that we talked about your getting a BF -- as I told you I'm sure you will be pleased with the BF -- if/when you get to San Luis Obispo, Ca. look me up and tell me how much you like your Born Free -- Bob Newby
Taobeemr

Post by Taobeemr »

Hi John-

The next rally on the left side is in Florida at the end of February. You'll find it under Rallies. The Tropics in winter? I'll be there! :D
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Thanks for the info Anne, but FL is out of the question for now.

I'm semi-retired and my wife has 3 more years to work to vacation time is somewhat limited.

But we will try to attend any rallies with other BF owners that we can make.

John
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

John, stay tuned to this station for the announcement of a rally in NJ late spring next year. Maybe you both can call in sick, as in sick of work.
Mel & Connie
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Mel;

If I can help out with that rally in any way, let me know.

John
Taobeemr

Post by Taobeemr »

A future rally in nearby Joisey? Count me in!!! :D
norijake

Post by norijake »

John,

I see that you are an old-hand at RVing so please accept this suggestion with the proverbial grain of salt and understand it comes, with the best of intentions, from a neophyte in the field.

In a previous life I was what Neal Boortz ( http://boortz.com/ ) has respectfully labeled a heavy equipment operator. There I learned the importance of monitoring the condition of the essential parts of your machinery in the expectation of preventing catastrophic failures. With the operation monitors, I saw firsthand the useful life of engines increase to in excess of 12,000 hours before major overhaul.

I know you asked for suggestions for preventive mx accomplished on an annual basis but I would suggest that you might consider setting up a monitoring program for your RV’s engine based on perhaps the frequency of your oil changes. An oil analysis will reveal any abnormal wear on your powerplant and related systems and warn you of any pending early failures. There are many labs that will perform an analysis to the depth that you request and I consider it cheap insurance for the knowledge imparted. I happen to use Blackstone Labs ( http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ ) and I’ve been very happy with their service (normal disclaimers with financial/business connections apply).

It may be more than you want to know about what’s going on in your 6.8 V-10, but it sure provides some interesting reading if you’re into such.

Regardless, you are going to love driving your new machine. It is a pleasure to be on the road with the Born Free. I have never owned any vehicle that I enjoy operating as much as our 26RB. On second thought, Boeing did build a pretty nice 747 and it was also a pleasure to operate… but I didn’t own one :)
2004 26' RB
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Nori & Jake;

Thanks for the feedeback and the link. Actually in my original message I was looking for any kind of PM other people do on a routine basis.

I will look into having the engine oil analyzed. Always thought about it, but never got around to doing it. After a break in period, I change over to synthetic oil, Amsoil being my choice. Found my mileage increased a little after changing over, plus the added benefits of the synthetics.

Tahnks again.

John

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”