Convertor, I mean Frig

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

TomP

Convertor, I mean Frig

Post by TomP »

The Frig and the Converter are on the same circuit. I know this only because it is labeled so on the circuit panel. :)
Anyway, this circuit breaker, if on. will trip the GFCI under the vanity sink AND trip the shore power circuit breaker the rig is plugged into as well. (make sense?)
So, if I turn the Frig/Converter circuit breaker off in the rv, reset the tripped breakers I mentioned, all is well, except that the frig runs on Gas and the house batteries do not get charged. :(

I assume I need a new Convertor or at least this one need some attention by a professional.

And finally my question, besides any comments anyone may have, is what kind of convertor should i buy to replace it if necessary? any recommendations?

I don't mind spending a little more on a good convertor.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by TomP on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
whemme

Re: Convertor

Post by whemme »

Well maybe it is your refrigerator rather than your charger/converter causing the problem. To find out, open up the outside compartment door on the back of your refrigerator. You should find the 120 vac power plug for the refrigerator plugged into a AC socket back there. Unplug the refrigerator and reset the breakers. If the GFCI and shoreline power circuit breaker do not trip then the problem is the AC power circuit in the refrigerator. Otherwise, the problem is most likely your charger/converter.

Your coach is most likely equipped with a Magnetek 7345 charger/converter. I would certainly recommend the modern 3-stage Progressive Dynamics PD4655V Charger/Converter as a direct fit replacement. Look in the Coach Modifications section on this forum for two posts about this replacement unit.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
TomP

Re: Convertor, wait I mean Frig

Post by TomP »

Ahhh. Good point and you are correct. i unplugged the frig from the outlet located where you mentioned and kicked back on that breaker. All seems ok...other than the frig of course. no trippy breakers but I'll check to see if the convertor is charging the house batteries tomorrow morning.

So now the new question is what kind of frig to get, if it needs replacing?

hopefully it can be repaired though.
whemme

Re: Convertor, I mean Frig

Post by whemme »

Well, the cooling units on both Dometic and Norcold refrigerators are replaceable. However, sometimes the cost of replacing the cooling unit in an RV refrigerator can get somewhat close to the cost of replacing the whole refrigerator. Recommend getting estimates both ways from a reputable RV technician before deciding.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

I find it interesting that your frig works on gas ,but trips the GFCI when plugged in . I would (while frig is unplugged) gently unplug 120 volt heating element and using an ohm meter read the resistance between the two leads (internet has info on proper resistance) and more importantly make sure that there is no continuity between either lead and frig chassis . The GFCI is detecting current to ground and that is why it trips . The heating element may have grounded out causing your problem . You might luck out and only have to replace it .
2012 25' rb
whemme

Post by whemme »

I think randallrae is probably correct. The only thing that the 120 vac power to the refrigerator is used for is that 120 vac heating element. The rest of the refrigerator is controlled by the 12 vdc power to it.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
TomP

Post by TomP »

So now it doesn't trip any breakers. I have no idea how that 'fixed' itself, but still the frig still only works on Gas and the convertor still doesn't seem to be charging the house battery.

Maybe the circuit breaker is shot...but I do get current to the outlet that the Frig is plugged into. ?

I've got a repair guy stopping by next week to take a look.

Thanks for all the useful info
whemme

Post by whemme »

Tom,

To see if your charger/converter is providing a charge to your house battery(s), open the drop down door on your Magnetek 7345 charger/converter and use a dc voltmeter to measure the voltage on one of the fuse terminals to ground. If the voltage is around 13.6 vdc, it is charging. If the voltage is 12.6 vdc or less, it is not charging. Or you could make that voltage measurement instead directly at the house battery + and - terminals.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
TomP

Post by TomP »

Bill -

OK. Will do.

Thanks!
whemme

Post by whemme »

Also there should be a change of battery voltage with shoreline power plugged in vs with it unplugged. If there is no change, then your charger/converter is not working.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”