Recommended tire pressure

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

KevinVT

Re: Recommended tire pressure

Post by KevinVT »

Thank you,

This PDF guide is very helpful and makes it a lot more clear what the PSI's are posted as they are. I think one of the earlier posts had a PDF link but it was a dead link. The 65 and 80 are close to the range of the base GAWR for each axel, so I understand now where those recommendations come from.

Now I know what to do next trip and we see a scale (none are close to my home in Vermont).

--Kevin
--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)
grdyguy192

Post by grdyguy192 »

bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Weight of your rig at each tire.

Park your rig on a flat surface and measure the area of the tire in contact with the flat surface and multiply by the air pressure. This will give you a good estimate of the weight on each tire. You do need to correct for the tire pattern to get an absolute value.

Minimally it will tell you the difference between tires, particularly if you are unbalanced from side to side.

My technique for measuring the tire patch area is to slide a piece of card stock from the front and the rear and measure the distance between them to give you the length of the patch. A similar process can be used for the width.

I know this may sound silly but when we owned a Bounder we used this technique and a scales. The numbers were very similar.

You can than compare the weights to the suggest inflation pressure for that weight.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Weighing your BornFree another way.

Our town in NH had a transfer station. Though they charged for very little, every time you drove in you drove over scales. The operator was happy to let me stop with just my trailer wheels on the scales, or just the front wheels and then the rear wheels of my motorhome on the scales as long as it wasn't during a busy time.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”