Towing

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Towing

Post by 5865 »

I want to start towing our PT Cruiser with our 23RK, I'm not sure to use a dolly, or go 4 down. The car has auto, so I need a lube pump. Has anyone found any deals on getting all the equipment needed to tow? What and where is the best deal on a brake unit, base plate, tow bar, etc?
Thanks Frank
Mel Wilbur

towing

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Frank, I am sure you will receive different answers as towing is like a lot of things pertaining to motorhomes which becomes personal preferences, so I will give you mine. First of all we have towed a PT Cruiser for about two years with the remco lube pump, a blue ox coach mounted tow bar, and the US Gear braking system. Currently I am towing a new Honda CR-V which does not require a lube pump and have recently installed the SMI Silent Partner brakeing system, which by the way is a wireless system with no connections to the tow car and works just fine. Once installed the only thing needed to tow, other than the normal routine for the tow car, is to turn on a switch mounted in the tow car. The other, and for me, important part of the SMI system is that it uses its own small vacumm pump when applying the brakes which makes the car braking as effortless as when you are driving it.
Like most things a search on the internet should produce a range of costs for the materials and then shop locally for both cost and installation. After towing for the last 30 years my belief is that towing 4 down is the only way to go. Like I stated, this is only what works for me.
Mel & Connie
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Frank;

I'll throw my 2 cents in here also.

I have towed a Jeep Cherokee, a Wrangler (with 3" lift and large tires) and now a Grand cherokee. Towed them with 2 different motorhomes, and will tow with the BF also.

I have the Blue Ox motorhome mounted tow bar, and use the Brake Buddy for supplemental brakes. When I traded cars or motorhomes, it was just a matter of getting a new baseplate for the car.

The Brake Buddy is portable and only requires attaching a clamp to the brake pedal, moving the drivers seat forward to hold it in place and plugging it in to a 12v power outlet.

I have had no problems and both the tow bar and Brake Buddy are about 10 years old. Blue Ox does attend most of the FMCA and other large rallies. They have techs that will come around and lube and adjust your tow bar, and make minor repairs. I had mine done at a rally a few years ago when they changed the mounting tab design. They put new tabs on, tightened all the fittings and lubed it.

From what I have read, Brake Buddy also stands behind their product but I have had no need to experience that first hand.

None of my Jeeps required a lube pump or any disconnects, just put the transfer case in neutral, the trans in park and the key in the on position and it's ready to go.

Guess that's more my nickels worth, rather than my 2 cents :lol:

John
whemme

TOWING RECOMMENDATIONS

Post by whemme »

As Mel has advised above, 4-down towing is the way to do it and also use a motorhome mounted tow bar system rather than one that stays attached to the toad. The tow caddy method just adds additional weight and also causes storage problems on where to put the caddy while in a campground. In my opinion, the only real advantage of using a tow caddy is that if you change toad vehicles, you don't need to install a new tow bar base plate or add the tow wiring harness for the rear brake, turn signal and tail lights.

I currently tow a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4-wheels down using a Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar system and a Brake Buddy auxillary braking system. I have used the Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy on a previous 1998 Malibu toad for a total of approximately 7 years and 70,000 miles. If I did not like what I had or if I had any real issues with the setup, I would not have kept it the same for so long!

If and when I get a new tow bar, I will probably get Blue Ox's new Alexus model that was not available when I bought the Aventa II model. The Alexus has an improved gimbal assembly that helps with hookup and un-hooking process on unlevel ground.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bill crommett

four wheels down

Post by bill crommett »

I would like to give you my reasons for using the SMI system of toad brakes : because we tow a Chevy Tracker 4 WD automatic, we have converted the small back seat area to a spce for the RV spare, and that leaves no room for a Brake Buddy or other removble system. We like the SMI system because it is a " just-get-in-and-drive" arrangement.
Trisha

towing brakes

Post by Trisha »

I tow a 2006 Jeep Liberty and a 2000 Honda Civic, both with my 2005 26' RB. They both have different setups (my bad). I have blue ox car mounted tow bars and a ball hitch for the Honda, with a brake buddy. i did that first.

I got smart with the Jeep. It's way easier to tow. I bought a set of tow bars that are coach mounted and I use a Mountain Master Tow brake for the jeep. It's non-invasive, but also not a big bulky unit that can slip and slide...and best, is that it is completely controllable inside your coach. Because it's designed for mountain driving (which I do plenty of ) you can over-ride the brake and you can also trigger it manually to prevent a possible jacknife situation. (I have no affiliation with this one) http://www.towbrake.com/towbrakes.htm but you can see the product here. It has a 10 YEAR warranty.

It's pickier to install but still non-invasive and it's a lot easier to get on and off the toad. And much more stable and fully adjustable for the amount of throw on the pedal. My brake buddy clamp for the brake pedal would actually slip off at times, and there's this tiny little spring that you DON'T want to see flying into the back of your car.

I'm fully of opinions tonight.

Seriously consider towing 4 down and always use a good braking system on your toad. Learn about them before you buy....

Trish
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Oh, forgot to mention, the Mountain Master also trickle-charges the battery on your car, so lights don't run the battery down...and furthermore the alerts and breakaway are all part of the brake system so you don't have to buy and install (and plug into a cigarette lighter) a separate breakaway system.

As I said, not affiliated, just happy.

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”