Newbie Question - Spider cracks

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

DennisM

Newbie Question - Spider cracks

Post by DennisM »

We got home this last week with our new purchase - a 2003 26'RSB. Coach has 23,000 miles on it and looked to be in excellent shape.

Just finished washing and wax and have discovered a couple of places on the roof where there are what I would call spider cracks. Very small cracks radiating out from a center point.

Is this "normal"? Any preventative maintenance that should be preformed on the coach or is there something we should do ASAP?

I don't have enough experience with fiberglass shells to know if this is a concern or not. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis and Linda
Sab & Ann

Spider Cracks

Post by Sab & Ann »

Call Born Free at 1-800-247-1835 and talk to Kim Olsen to find out your options. I had two spider cracks repaired at the factory.
Sab & Ann
2000 RB, E450
robert

Post by robert »

Spider cracks are usually due to stress on the coach. I experienced the same on a new BF after I had driven it up my driveway. The back end was being stressed as the drag wheels hit the ground each time.

My unit was still under warranty and they fixed it for me.

Since you do not have a warranty, BF will charge you to fix it. They will do a great job and you will never know they were there.

However, you can have the work done at any boat shop that works on fiberglas boats. The principle is the same.

I suspect that the spider cracks have been there awhile. For what it is worth, I would just keep an eye on them to ensure they do not get any worse, which would be indicative of another problem somewhere. It is my understanding the the spider cracks are only breaks in the top surface and will cause no problem (unless they get worse).

Since they are on the roof, only you will know they are there.

I would keep the area well waxed with a paste wax designed for fiberglass.
DennisM

Thanks for the info

Post by DennisM »

Unfortunately we are about 350 miles from Humboldt. The 350 miles isn't close, though not far away. We will talk to Kim as suggested, but would prefer not to travel to Humboldt unless really required.
Sounds like the spider cracks do happen. Key question is whether or not they need to be repaired.
I seem to remember a Born Free article about the entire football team from Humboldt being able to stand on the roof.
Still like to hear from others about the frequency of the cracks and proper maintenance.
Thanks
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I had many of these cracks myself. As I had bottomed out going up my mom's driveway a few times, I suspect that's where they came from. I had Born Free fix them. It's like they were never there.

The fiberglass is quite thick on the top, but I would still not want any way for moisture or dirt to get it. Esp. moisture if it gets cold where you are. The constant freezing and thawing couldn't be good for it.

Since it is a full day's drive, perhaps you could find something you'd like to see, ie the amana colonies or something, and go sightseeing while they work on it. Make a fun trip out of it. leave the coach, tow your car (or rent one) and enjoy yourself. You'll have your coach back that night. You can camp in their parking lot and leave in the morning...

I live 5 hours from there and don't think twice about driving down to have work done...I'd rather have a coach in great shape. Besides, consider your investment. What's a few days considering how much you've invested?

There are things to see and it's beautiful country. The teams at Dodgen (Born Free) do excellent work and they're fast and efficient. I vote (duh) to have them do the work and I highly doubt you'd regret it. Besides, then you can see how wonderful they are and how they stand behind their product.

Trish
DennisM

Post by DennisM »

Trisha;
Thanks for your comments. Yours is the second posting that related bottoming out and spider cracks. I will admit to using the rear bumper wheels shortly after we purchased the motor coach. May be the cause of stress fractures.

We visited the Amana Colonies years back. I seem to remember a wood working shop that I would love to revisit. Thanks for the suggestions.

Dennis
Don Cannistraro

Post by Don Cannistraro »

Could you guys describe exactly where you're finding the 'spider cracks' ??

don cannistraro
robert

Post by robert »

In my case the spider cracks were just below the stop lights on my 2002 24RB.

They were caused by driving the motor home up my driveway. I only did it a few times before I realized the stress that was being placed on the coach by the drag wheels.

I had a 1997 26RSB that I drove up and down without any problem. Hard to figure!

The result is that I now have to park my BF across the driveway at the bottom of the slight hill. You can imagine the problem in getting it ready for a trip.

I am worn out before I even start out. Now we load it up one day, and take off early the next day.

After returning from my last trip, I left it there for about two days to clean it up, and one of my friendly neighbors called the city code violation people and they gave me a ticket. I objected and they reversed the ticket.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

robert wrote:...left it there for about two days to clean it up, and one of my friendly neighbors called the city code violation people and they gave me a ticket...
With neighbors like that...

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
DennisM

Post by DennisM »

In our case the spider cracks are on the roof.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Mine were also on the roof, and on the side of the roof cap..
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I was waxing mine today and found a crack starting at the lower rear corner of the window behind the sofa. It's about 3" long.

Would it be a good idea to put a little silicone on it until I can get it repaired? I'll keep an eye on it to see if it gets any longer.

John

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”