24FL Reign House BAttery Tray

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

pjohnson6214

24FL Reign House BAttery Tray

Post by pjohnson6214 »

Has anyone installed a tray. My batteries are in the DS compartment behing the generator. There is no tray. I an thinking of installing one. Any comments appreciated.
Roger H

Re: 24FL Reign House BAttery Tray

Post by Roger H »

pjohnson6214 wrote:Has anyone installed a tray. My batteries are in the DS compartment behing the generator. There is no tray. I an thinking of installing one. Any comments appreciated.
I'm sure that there are number of us who have experience with battery compartments... whether or not what we know will fit your needs or not is yet to be determined. :wink:

What is a "DS" compartment? Since there were very few Reigns built, and I think you're the only posting member here with one, a photo of what you're looking at might be useful for us. I don't even know where the generator is located on that unit as I never got to see one in person.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

This company should have what you want. I had this brand (EZ Glide by Fleming Sales) in my BFT and it gave good service, and allowed me to extend the tray out far enough to check and fill the batteries.

After you get the part no. you need, use it to search the web to see if it is available cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.flemingsalesoem.com/battery-trays/

Bill
Attachments
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG (163.13 KiB) Viewed 8519 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Roger H wrote:
pjohnson6214 wrote:Has anyone installed a tray. My batteries are in the DS compartment behing the generator. There is no tray. I an thinking of installing one. Any comments appreciated.
I'm sure that there are number of us who have experience with battery compartments... whether or not what we know will fit your needs or not is yet to be determined. :wink:

What is a "DS" compartment? Since there were very few Reigns built, and I think you're the only posting member here with one, a photo of what you're looking at might be useful for us. I don't even know where the generator is located on that unit as I never got to see one in person.
I managed to find a photo. "DS" is "driver's side." Figured it out. Bill's solution should work for you.

'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
John S.

Post by John S. »

I know when I was at the factory they were building the first reigns. They were really working to get the weight down and I bet the battery tray went to reduce weight.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
lassen

Post by lassen »

pjohnson.......

Might be a clearance issue with the battery compartment opening as to why Born Free did not use a battery tray. Measure the height of your batteries. The EZGLIDE tray will add a minimum of 1.25" to the battery height.

Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
aljones11

Post by aljones11 »

I have a 2017 Reign 24TI and had to remove the 6 volt batteries to address some rust and corrosion in the compartment. Also, there is not sufficient space between the top of the batteries and the top of the compartment to readily check water levels. The batteries are Interstate 6 volt for golf cart use, weighing almost 60lbs each. I had to rotate the batteries onto the sides to clear the opening, while trying to prevent acid spillage. Not fun! I decided to not replace them. Instead, I installed series 24 12 volt marine batteries which cleared the opening upright and provides a little more room to work. Considering a tray will raise the floor at least an inch or more, I do not see this as viable. In addition, I used insulated marine battery boxes (minus the tops) for the 12 volt setup. Not an ideal situation.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

aljones11 wrote:I have a 2017 Reign 24TI and had to remove the 6 volt batteries to address some rust and corrosion in the compartment. Also, there is not sufficient space between the top of the batteries and the top of the compartment to readily check water levels. The batteries are Interstate 6 volt for golf cart use, weighing almost 60lbs each. I had to rotate the batteries onto the sides to clear the opening, while trying to prevent acid spillage. Not fun! I decided to not replace them. Instead, I installed series 24 12 volt marine batteries which cleared the opening upright and provides a little more room to work. Considering a tray will raise the floor at least an inch or more, I do not see this as viable. In addition, I used insulated marine battery boxes (minus the tops) for the 12 volt setup. Not an ideal situation.
Not very well thought out by the factory. John Dodgen would never have approved.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
stevek

Post by stevek »

Looks like this would be a case for AGM Batteries.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”