Selling our BF

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CuJo's Pride

Selling our BF

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Hi all,

Unfortunately we're going to be selling our 2004 26'RB due to health problems and of course the age old question "How do we figure out what the value is". We have put a lot into it. It has 62,000 miles a new tranny, fly wheel, radiator, rear camera, electric awning, totally new brakes including seals and rotors.etc. new flooring. Everything is in tip top shape and ready to roll. We have all the records since it was purchased. If anyone has any idea where to start we'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Jo and Curt
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
MarkB

Re: Selling our BF

Post by MarkB »

It's all perception. I find when selling my stuff I usually price it too low, people don't feel there is value in it and so dismiss it as not having value and move on. And if you price it low they still feel they have to knock you down on price a little, so price that into the equation. People are always looking for nice stuff cause 80% of the stuff out there is junk. Price accordingly. Nada and kelley are just a guide not a bible.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Go to the section on this forum titled Price Database of Sold Born Free Coaches for some ideas on pricing.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

CuJo's Pride wrote:Hi all,

Unfortunately we're going to be selling our 2004 26'RB due to health problems and of course the age old question "How do we figure out what the value is". We have put a lot into it. It has 62,000 miles a new tranny, fly wheel, radiator, rear camera, electric awning, totally new brakes including seals and rotors.etc. new flooring. Everything is in tip top shape and ready to roll. We have all the records since it was purchased. If anyone has any idea where to start we'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Jo and Curt
I'm so sorry to hear that! I've bought and sold more RVs than probably one person should over the years, so I have a little experience I can share.

Pricing is always interesting in RVs. Some RVs just have no demand used because of poor construction, materials etc. Some are exceptionally well-built, but have little name recognition outside the current owner base (like Born Free.) Others, like Chinook and Airstream are in high demand because of quality build AND name recognition. High demand is what garners high prices. How much your coach can demand also has a couple of other factors; first is how long you're willing to wait for a buyer, and second, where and how well you advertise it. Excellent, professional-grade photos go a long way to assuring a long-distance buyer they're getting what they think they are.

The last part of assessing value is "salability." That the coach is in good repair and is NOT a fixer-upper. That you've maintained it well doesn't really add "value" to the sale price, it merely makes the coach attractive for a buyer, so it'll help increase demand. Generally, buyers want coaches they don't have to pay for immediate maintenance on. Coaches that are shiny and well-maintained don't necessarily bring more dollars, but they're more in demand and will generally sell more quickly for the same dollars than a dull-finish coach.

I just ran the NADA book on the 2004 26RB with the "usual" options and it indicates "low retail" as $17,600 and "average retail" as $21,300. Now check that against the info here, coaches for sale and the sold coach database Bill linked to... check the competition on rvtraderonline.com and you ought to be able to pretty quickly figure out a way to price your coach competitively for your circumstances. As I said earlier, photos sell the coach. Over the years, I've sold motorhomes and trailers to folks in Oregon, Washington, Alabama, Illinois, Northern Minnesota, New York state and Nevada just on photos, so they really DO make the difference.

Here's a link to the photos of a couple of RVs I've sold over the years just to give you an idea of what to photograph, how detailed you want the photos to be, and what quality they should be:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsiNSqtxG

https://www.flickr.com/gp/roger_h/192Sz3

https://flic.kr/s/aHsiNSqtK1

Good luck!
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

Sorry to hear this. I know just what you are going through. Selling Rover was one of the hardest things ever. Sue
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”