Born Free Auction December 8

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

nebraska built 4 two

Born Free Auction December 8

Post by nebraska built 4 two »

Link to auction at Born Free Factory of some supplies and materials

http://www.hundertmarkauction.com/2017/ ... _2017.html
1998 Built for Two, 21'
stevek

Re: Born Free Auction December 8

Post by stevek »

Looks like Born Free is never going to come back.
Do you agree or disagree?
Anybody going to this auction?
Anybody thinking of selling their Born Free because of BF closure?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
whemme

Post by whemme »

Steve, Yes read my announcement post titled Born Free Motorcoach to Remain Closed!

A boat pontoon manufacturer will be moving into the Born Free building.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Bill...yes I read that a few weeks ago about the boats.
So.... I guess.... END of the story?
So, Born Free is REALLY belly up?
AND, No chance of ever returning?
I was just hoping for some chance or something positive somewhere.

What about someone buying just the "name" of Born Free and start building motorhomes with
NO resemblance to the original Born Free factory and all that went with the factory or the quality??

All in all, very sad story. :(

And...Who's going to buy a NEW Born Free that remains in inventory at the various dealerships through out the USA with no factory backup and no factory warrantee?
Steve
CA/OR border
John S.

Post by John S. »

I know I bought mine after they shut down. There is very little that can not be fixed on the coach by a good shop and the chassis is ford so they are there for the hard part. I would not hesitate to buy one and keep it running.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

stevek wrote:Thanks Bill...yes I read that a few weeks ago about the boats.
So.... I guess.... END of the story?
So, Born Free is REALLY belly up?
AND, No chance of ever returning?
I was just hoping for some chance or something positive somewhere.

What about someone buying just the "name" of Born Free and start building motorhomes with
NO resemblance to the original Born Free factory and all that went with the factory or the quality??

All in all, very sad story. :(

And...Who's going to buy a NEW Born Free that remains in inventory at the various dealerships through out the USA with no factory backup and no factory warrantee?
Steve, the dealerships will provide an aftermarket warranty for the coach... that's no problem. Anything that goes wrong with them will most likely be appliance-related, not coach-build... but even at that any competent repair shop can make whatever repairs are necessary.

I think I read somewhere that the last former CEO of Born Free went to work in Indiana for a resurrected Chinook company, and that they bought most of the equipment from the Born Free factory and hauled it to Indiana. Who knows what the new Chinooks will look like?

Yes, it's the end of an era, not the end of our quality coaches though. Considering the number of '80s and '90s Born Frees that are still in regular use, I'd expect to see some Born Free coaches out there for another thirty years or so. I expect mine to last me as long as I care to continue using a motorhome.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Roger. I wonder what happened to the "molds"? Did someone get them or were they destroyed?
Too bad there is not a former BF employee that is an active member of our forum.

Regarding Chinook, I wonder if its in name only. Looks like someone is just converting a sprinter van and calling it a Chinook. No fiberglass. No slides. Nothing inique. Just a cookie cutter conversion. No resemblance to the oringal Chinook.
If they had legal rights to the Born Free name, they could have called it a Born Free.
Still a lot a the older Chinooks running around. I see them all the time. They have a very active club.

Another company that has a strong following is Lazy Daze. Still 100% factory direct.
Great price too. And a very active forum.
Maybe BF should have used them as an example.
Lazy Daze is 58 years old
.http://www.lazydaze.com/FEATURES.PDF
Steve
CA/OR border
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

Bf's Sprinter chassis (not a fan of Sprinter) was actually 8' wide while most others were 7'6" . They bought all of BF's sprinter molds so they will probably be very similar to the BF coach .
2012 25' rb
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks... good to know.
So... Chinook bought all the BF sprinter molds. Will look forward to seeing when they use them and what the MH will look like.
Wonder what happened to all the other molds?
Also...I often wonder what the future of the Ford e350/450/ V10 will be? And what will take its place? I guess the sprinter/ MB/ Ford/ Chrys? But what else?

PS..Rumor mill... I talked to one of the Chinook club members, and she told me the NEW Chinook bought all of the OLD Chinook molds. Maybe true of not true???

Also, I imagine the "old BF molds" are not worth much. Probably a few hundred bucks.

And, in my humble opinion... By BF going belly up, decreased the resale value of my 2011 Born Free....
I am right or wrong??

Thanks again.
Steve
CA/OR border
hornbake

Post by hornbake »

Personally, I doubt that the factory going out of business will decrease the value of our coaches. As a matter of fact, I think that the value will increase because of the upcoming shortage of a brand that is well known for its quality and reliability.
Larry and Helen Hornbake
2013 27 ft RSB
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

stevek wrote:
And, in my humble opinion... By BF going belly up, decreased the resale value of my 2011 Born Free....
I am right or wrong??

Thanks again.
Steve, I don't think that the factory closing will affect the coach prices significantly. Honestly most of quality coaches on the used market are "orphans" and they seem to sell just fine. Chinook is a prime example.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
stevek

Post by stevek »

You guys are probably right. The prices for old Chinooks are still up there. Thanks.
http://www.rvzez.com/search.php?q=chino ... ome&page=1
Steve
CA/OR border
Dave Rotelle

Post by Dave Rotelle »

We recently purchased our fourth Born Free. We would have purchased a newer one in 2013 but the price was higher than we were comfortable spending. Consequently we went with another brand that we purchased new in 2013.
We are very excited to now own another Born Free, in our opinion there is nothing that compares. Born Free is totally unique.... there's really nothing like it.

In my opinion it's a CLASSIC, I think it's possible they'll go up in value not down....
2013 Freedom Front Lounge.
Purchased November 2017.
hornbake

Post by hornbake »

Exactly. A CLASSIC. Congratulations on your purchase. I suggest that anyone thinking about purchasing a later model Born Free or any Born Free—-that they do it now before they become even more rare.
Larry and Helen Hornbake
2013 27 ft RSB
Brent

Post by Brent »

Wish I had a little more notice of the auction - would like to have gone.

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”