Leak thru bath Vent Line Fan

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

WardPAW

Leak thru bath Vent Line Fan

Post by WardPAW »

We have a water drip thru our bath Vent Line fan. I removed the fan and re-sealed the unit. Still have a leak thru the fan. I made some rubber washers out of bicycle intertube rubber and placed the rubber under the outside plastic cover screw heads. Hopefully that will stop the leak. No water damage was noted when the fan was removed. The outside drian hole for the fan is open and functioning properly.

Has anyone experienced a similar leak?
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
bcope01

Re: Leak thru bath Vent Line Fan

Post by bcope01 »

My VentLine Vanair bath vent/fan was leaking, mostly when the coach was in motion, but would continue after stopping since the water had already accumulated in the unit. When I removed the exterior cover on the unit, I noticed the foam seal/gasket had disintegrated. Suppose I could have replaced the seal, but since the cover itself was old and hazy from the sun, I replaced the cover, which comes with a new seal already installed. Replacing the cover stopped the leak.

You can get a new cover here:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-F ... agEALw_wcB

Bill
Attachments
vanair vent cover 2.jpg
vanair vent cover 2.jpg (64.18 KiB) Viewed 7938 times
vanair vent cover 1.jpg
vanair vent cover 1.jpg (60.04 KiB) Viewed 7938 times
vanair vent.jpg
vanair vent.jpg (81.16 KiB) Viewed 7938 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

Bill,

Thanks for the response. I have ordered a new cover from eTrailer.

Ben
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

Upon further inspection I discovered a stress crack in the old cover. I had to flex the cover to see the crack. The attached photo shows the crack. Age-2005, 60,000 miles of road travel and possible heavy winds from Florida storms could have contributed to the stress crack.

The new cover has been installed and the leak has stopped. For $17.00, I recommend replacement as a pre-caution if your cover is 5+ years old.
Attachments
Stress crack in Vent Line fan cover in Born Free bath.
Stress crack in Vent Line fan cover in Born Free bath.
IMG_2684.JPG (22.29 KiB) Viewed 7816 times
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
Brent

Post by Brent »

Good post, thank you
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
old fashioned

Post by old fashioned »

Great post, solved the mystery of why our vent was leaking. At least it leaked into the shower. Thanks so much. Ordered a cap from site on posting. Cheap solution. Now the question is can the vent cover be replaced from inside the coach or does one have to go on the roof? Thanks again.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

old fashioned wrote:Great post, solved the mystery of why our vent was leaking. At least it leaked into the shower. Thanks so much. Ordered a cap from site on posting. Cheap solution. Now the question is can the vent cover be replaced from inside the coach or does one have to go on the roof? Thanks again.
You, or you wife, will have to go up on the roof. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
stevek

Post by stevek »

I just put a new gasket in mine. It stopped the leak. Did not have to buy a new cap. I used something like Frost King Sponge Rubber Foam Tape. It was a few years ago. Has never leaked sense.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”