Upgrading a 2001 RSB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Upgrading a 2001 RSB

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have considered buying a later model BF RSB and have examined a new 26 ft Class A. The Possible Class A purchase was a non-starter - incur a debt and end up with regrets. A later model BF RSB would be great but after consideration I want to stick with what I have. At my age (77) considering declining health I may have only a few more years of RV travel in me.

Here is where I stand now. 147,000 miles with regular maintenance and repairs as needed. No engine problems with the exception of the spark plug blowout about which I posted details here last year. Complete brake work last year. Maybe replacement of three tires.

I need advice and suggestions.

I am willing to spend a considerable sum of money (say $10,000) for preventative maintenance and upgrades to my 2001RB. Mechanical upgrades and upgrades to make a more comfortable experience such a tire pressure monitoring system and an inverter. Perhaps replacement of engine parts that are original to the vehicle such as the alternator. Sway bars, stability systems. Springs and shocks. Resealing of all outside joints.

Help me complete a list of items I should address. The knowledge held by BF owners who post here will be much more than I have alone.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
lafons

Re: Upgrading a 2001 RSB

Post by lafons »

My thinking on keeping my coach is the same as you. I also have a 2001 rsb, 100,000 miles. I believe that at my age the up keep and maintaining will be cheaper than buying a new coach. And we both really like our coach and have kept it in great shape. I am planning to replace my water/radiator hoses soon, first time ever. Keep good rubber and carry a spare. And use good synthetic oil in the engine. And fix all the small things that need attention. Service the generator regularly/and exercise at least monthly. Drive it regularly as that is better than sitting.
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
lafons

Post by lafons »

Some of the best $ spent , tire momtor, ac protection and monitoring, scan gage for engine monitor . All added peace of mind and well worth the investment. 6 volt Trojan coach battery’s now 8 Year’s old and still going strong. Recommend a good dc volt gauge to monitor these also. New shock worth it too.
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

The Ford E450 service intervals for 2001 ,every 5000 miles oil and filter (I do it every 3000), every 30000 trans fluid and fuel filter ,at 45000 and every 30000 thereafter coolant , 100000 spark plugs , 120000 PVC valve , 150000 rear axle grease and replace 4x2 wheel bearings , every 2 years change brake fluid ,
2012 25' rb
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Thank y’all for your suggestions. Any more? Anything you post will be helpful. I
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

I have installed a rear track bar which made handling in crosswinds much better . I am now considering shock absorbers probably KONI FSD.I also have a tire tracker monitor .
2012 25' rb
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Hi, Dallas. The mechanical items we appreciate on our 2015 from our 2004 are the tire monitoring system, a no brainer, automatic levelers, and a back up camera. An improved charger/inverter is also good. There are some other goodies than you can probably do like replacing outlets with usb receptacles, if that interests you. Who knew? We would not recommend a
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Sorry, our pitiful WiFi is weird tonight. I meant to to say we do not recommend a tankless hot water heater or induction cooktop. As for cosmetic changes, we were very happy with replacing our carpet and linoleum with pergo wood flooring. Not that expensive, easier to care for and looked much better.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I am compiling a list of maintence items that my BF needs.

I had Bilstein shocks installed at 87,000 in May of 2011. Now 147,000 miles. Should I replace? I haven’t detected any change in the ride.

The propane tank on my BF has many rust spots. I’ve sanded and repainted over the years. Any suggestion on how to determine if replacement needed?

I know I will have more questions as I work through my list. Thanks for helping!www
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”