SMI braking system

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

harrisgowing

SMI braking system

Post by harrisgowing »

We are preparing a new to us tow car. The truck place doing the base plate, etc. installation has suggested that we consider using the SMI braking system. We currently have a brake buddy, which works fine but is clunky and has to be detached and reattached each time. However, the brake buddy is paid for and the suggested system is $1,000. Does anyone have any experience with the SMI system? It appears to be much easier to use than the brake buddy but we don’t know if it worth the cost. Thanks a lot!

Judy
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Barbara & Ken

Re: SMI braking system

Post by Barbara & Ken »

We had the SMI auxiliary brake system on our Class A diesel pusher and were very pleased. The Class A diesel pusher SMI system works in concert with the air brakes. Since Born Free does not have air brakes, SMI has a different, specific model that would be installed on a Born Free. We felt that the SMI system not only helped the tow car braking, but also made braking the motorhome more efficient.

We are now shopping for a small motorhome and definitely would use the SMI auxiliary brake system, if we decide to have a toad.

You can contact SMI to locate an authorized dealer/service center near you.
Barbara & Ken
montir

Post by montir »

We have been using the SMI Stay-in-Play DUO for 4 years, first in a Honda CR-V and now in a Jeep Wrangler. After using a system similar to the Brake Buddy about 12 years ago, I would never go back to a box that I needed to set in place on the floorboard and connect to the brake pedal each time I hooked up. The SMI system takes a while to install in the car but after that you simply connect the tow bar and wiring harness, flip a switch and go. The sensitivity is easily adjusted and the unit requires two inputs to activate. It must sense that the RV brakes have been applied and it must sense a change in inertia. Since it maintains the vacuum in the car's power brake system, it does not need to apply a lot of pressure to the brake pedal to apply the brakes. The system stays in place all the time and does not interfere with driving the car in any way.

If you get that system, I highly recommend placing the LED strip that shows when the brakes are applied on the dash of the RV. This does require running one additional wire but you will know immediately when the towed car brakes are being applied. Their standard installation would have you placing this LED strip in the towed car where you could see it in the backup monitor. In my opinion that could result in a considerable time lapse before it was noticed in the event of untimely activation.
Monti
2015 Triumph Royal RB 4X4
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Thank you so much for the very helpful responses. Just have to decide if we want to spend the extra money!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
whemme

Post by whemme »

I am still using my original Brake Buddy purchased 15 years ago and it is still working fine in my 3rd toad!
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Thanks, Bill!
Chuck and Judy Harris
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Hi guys

I am using a 1st generation RVI brake which is similar to the Brake buddy but much smaller. Very easy to put in and take out compared to a cumbersome brake buddy and cheaply and easily transferable to a new vehicle. This is the 3rd car I am using it on. The new improved 3rd generation has added a TPMS to the unit with readouts, I believe, on a smart phone.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Thanks, Joel. We will probably take the cheap way out for right now and stay with the brake buddy for a while, but it is nice to know what alternatives are out there.
Chuck and Judy Harris
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”