Age Discrimination

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Age Discrimination

Post by stevek »

Called on tele to reserve a spot. Lady asked me year of my RV.
Upon check in, she again asked about year on my BF. Its a 2011.
She said if it was older than a 2008, would not be allowed in park and I would have to look elsewhere.
Nothing older than 10 years allowed.

I asked her..... you mean in 3 years I gotta buy a NEW MH????
She just smiled. :D
So... I guess I gotta start shopping. :lol:

Plus Park not that fancy. In central CA. But very good location.

Any of you had a similar situation? Thanks
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Roger H

Re: Age Discrimination

Post by Roger H »

You just ask what year it needs to be to get in, and then tell them that's what it is. No muss, no fuss. As long as it doesn't look like a wreck, no one is going to question you.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Just another aspect of our division along income, education, religious and political lines. Associating with others that are just like us soon cements our views and leaves no room for the wonderful life experience of discovering things new and different.

I have great memories of meeting homeless smart, funny conversationist in campgrounds living in their car or a beat up RV. And I have have had the same with fancy Class A owners. When you start a conversation with someone that has a different frame of reference you open yourself to having your own views challenged.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
jjhepkin

Post by jjhepkin »

your discrimination issue could happen anywhere, but since the presidential election and all of the craziness going on we have elected not to venture into sunny california anymore.

too many things happening out there and too many other places to spend our hard earned money.

john
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
Brent

Post by Brent »

This unfortunately is not that uncommon in my experience. It’s come up for me about three times in Florida recently.

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
richnwendy

Post by richnwendy »

Appreciated and agree with your thoughtful response, Dallas.
2014 23' Freedom (2nd BF)
Re-starting retirement
ackermari

Post by ackermari »

When we bought our 1996BFT back in October I had an acquaintance, with a brand new 5th wheel, tell me that I was going to have problems because private parks don’t allow anything after 10years, “except maybe places like KOAs because they let anything in”. We previously had a 1990 Chevy G20 MarkIII conversion van that we drove from PA to CA and back, then down to GA and FL and never were turned away. Go figure.....
Marianne & Ron Acker
Scranton PA
1996 22’ BFT “Lucy”
Purchased Oct 2017
RV newbies, but not new to the road.
40 states down/10 to go
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

ackermari wrote:When we bought our 1996BFT back in October I had an acquaintance, with a brand new 5th wheel, tell me that I was going to have problems because private parks don’t allow anything after 10years, “except maybe places like KOAs because they let anything in”. We previously had a 1990 Chevy G20 MarkIII conversion van that we drove from PA to CA and back, then down to GA and FL and never were turned away. Go figure.....
I have a 1995 Coachmen B van and frankly, except when I'm in need of a shower, I just guerrilla camp with it. I've never had anyone question its age at a campground though, either. I think that's a bigger deal at the $100/night campgrounds than the $30/night ones I typically stay at.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

You have to add RV class discrimination to age discrimination. A few years ago at an FMCA SEA event I won the grand prize. It was for 4 free nights at the Bella Terra of Gulf Shores RV Resort in AL. Very fancy class A only resort. I met the age limit, but of course I wasn't classy enough. Believe it or not I tried giving the prize away to folks in my FMCA club with class A's and they didn't want anything to do with the place even though some of them were going right by it in their travels. Dallas should be familiar with this place as it is near Mobile.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
hornbake

Post by hornbake »

Well, it is really a very funny kind of discrimation, no? It assumes that people who own Class A motor coaches would want to be with their own. And their own must be better than us. The whole concept is hilarious. Are there any other such obvious distinctions in society?
Larry and Helen Hornbake
2013 27 ft RSB
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

hornbake,

Color?
Class?
Education?
Wealth?
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
hornbake

Post by hornbake »

Yes, there are such distinctions for sure. Just not as blatant as the Class A campgrounds, I mean camping resorts.
Larry and Helen Hornbake
2013 27 ft RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”