Ladder for cabover access

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Lwest

Ladder for cabover access

Post by Lwest »

We have (2) 26' 2006 RSB Born Free Casual Elegance RV's (it's a long story as to why we have 2 - lol). We just realized yesterday that the ladders which are used to access the cabover areas are not the same length on each of the RV's?? In fact, one of the ladders is so short that it is only useable with the swivel chair turned to precisely the exact rotation to allow the ladder to attach on the grab bar and still touch the floor without pressing against the chair. There is absolutely no sign of alteration on the ladder which is almost too short. Anyone have any ideas or comments on this?

I would be very appreciative if some of you would share with me just exactly what length your ladders are? So I can figure out which one seems to be the standard size and which one is not?

Also, anyone out there have a ladder for sale - I would love to replace the short one as it is driving me crazy!!

Thanks Lisa
hindeb

Re: Ladder for cabover access

Post by hindeb »

We have a 2004 26 RB Casual Elegance and the ladder length from the inside of the hook to the short side of the side rail is 67 1/2 inches. The side rail is 1/2" longer on the front of the ladder because the bottom is slanted to sit flat when it is in place. Depending on how much length needs to be added to your short ladder you could either add a wooden foot piece to the bottom of the ladder or you could put a spacer between the cabinet and the hook rail to lower it.
Bruce & Teresa Hinde
Steamboat Springs, CO
2004 26RB Diesel
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Lwest

Post by Lwest »

Thanks Bruce and Teresa
Both very good ideas for a fix! I'm just now seeing your post and of course that RV is not here right now or I assure you I'd be out there comparing my measurements to yours! Like I mentioned in my post we have 2 born frees and I still can't figure out why they are different lengths - very puzzling?
Thanks
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I’ve been meaning to give you my take on why differences ladder lengths. On my 2001 RSB the jackknife sofa is on the left side and the metal bar to which I attach my ladder is on the right above the forwardmost passenger seat. I found that when I had the sofa in sleeping position the ladder did not fit correctly. The hooks on the top of the ladder stood above the metal bar because the couch blocked setting the correct angle of the ladder. I cut off the ladder (an inch as I recall although it could have been more). This resulted in a steeper angle for the ladder but the hooks that fit over the metal then could be correctly placed. I also removed a rung of the ladder but as this was several years ago I can’t remember why
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”