Generator questions

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BobnGail

Re: Generator questions

Post by BobnGail »

Storing our 2005RB with ethanol gas in our Generac generator caused the carburetor to gum up. Symptoms were similar to yours. After trying to unsuccessfully to clean it, mechanic called manufacturer to learn that their carburetor could not be cleaned but must be replaced Very expensive lesson! ETHANOL gas is bad, bad, bad for small engines. While we will use ethanol while traveling, we now get tank almost on empty and then put in about 1/2 tank of NON ethanol gas for winter storage. That gives us enough gas to exercise the generator every 2 weeks. We use Seafoam additive and not Stabil. Several mechanics, including the boat mechanic my husband uses, said to use Seafoam, never Stabil. That was about 8 years ago and we’ve not had a problem since.
Bob n Gail
2005 26RB
Oxford MS
SteveLombardi

Post by SteveLombardi »

The Onan 40KYFA series generator in my 2012 B.F. suffered from the same problem in that it would run for less than a minute and stop. The restart, run less than a minute, stall cycle would continue on and on. It had only 60hrs on the clock so some would say I didn't use it enough and they might be right on that point. I repaired it myself by replacing the fuel pump and now it's OK. The pump replacement was an Airtek part from Amazon and since I was digging into it I replaced the inline filter too. The two parts totaled in the $55 range. It was about an hours job to finish the replacement mostly because a number of other unrelated parts limit access and have to be removed. The nice thing was that none of these parts were what I'd term scary like linkage adjustments etc. I went into the project thinking I might have to replace the carburetor but started with the simpler/cheaper parts first. No special Onan knowledge was required and I would think any small engine mechanic could easily replace the fuel pump if your investigations lead you in that direction.

I guess my whole point in this discussion is that the generator was not gummed up but obviously had an inferior quality fuel pump from the factory as evidenced by the low hours on the unit.

Hope this info is useful and Good Luck
2012 25RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

My experience with my 4.0 KW Oman generator seems to indicate that the fuel pump has a fairly high failure rate. I have had to replace my fuel pump twice with about 575 hours on my Onan in a 16 year old BF coach.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
JeffatJacks

Post by JeffatJacks »

I have my generator serviced at my chosen RV service garage. They are an independent large truck and RV service garage. They are familiar with all brands of generators. You might do some internet research for local RV service providers, check their reviews, and call to see if they have experience with ONAN. You might also question other RV'ers in your area for referrals. That is how I found my service.

Good luck!
2004 Born Free 26 RB
Towing a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

My Cummins dealer (Omaha) couldn't find my problem until the 2 year warranty was up . Then suddenly they diagnosed a bad fuel pump and filter . That cost me $522.51 . I will not do business with Cummins again .
2012 25' rb
TomP

Post by TomP »

I let my genny go dormant a while back. After exercising it and doing all the specified procedures and getting it maintained it still gave me problems with <200 hours on it. I've never quite understood how my lawn mover can sit the garage all winter and start up on the first pull come spring time with no maintenance whatsoever but a darn genny gives me fits no matter how much I baby it. I'm not a fulltimer and i think i've only needed to use it once in 7 years. I suppose if the day comes where i will use it regularly, i will get it serviced then, replaced or buy a quieter portable one.

My .02
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

To add insult to my injury . I purchased a 3200 watt portable generator for my father in law in 1985 . I bought it from him about 7 years later . I tried to run it at least once a year when I would change oil . I drug it out last summer for my daughter who had a 4 day power outage to run her refrigerators . It has never failed to start and will start on the second or third pull if the old gas is dumped and replaced with fresh gas . The only thing I have ever done to it is change oil . I believe that Onan wants their (your) generators to need repair .
2012 25' rb
TomP

Post by TomP »

I hear you.

It is a bit absurd to know that we put robots on another planet that can send photos back to us on earth and communicate with people on the other side of this planet via our watches but we make generators that need more maintenance than a trophy wife.
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
karls

Post by karls »

I'd try a local RV place first. I see a number of them when I Google "Scranton RV repair." Talk to the service person at one and see what they say.

Karl Striedieck
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

It's been my experience that if there's a Cummins/Onan shop within a hundred miles, RV shops won't touch generators.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

I know everyone has their favorite gas treatment products. I was introduced to Startron fuel additives several years ago. I use both the gas & diesel additives in various vehicles and small engines. Very pleased with the results.

Read the testimonials on their website.

http://www.starbrite.com/startron

Startron is a major sponsor to the Coastal Conservation Association (national recreational fishing organization), of which I'm a member. The Marketing Manager informed me that the original formula was created during WWII to preserve fuel in the navy ships.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
John S.

Post by John S. »

The issue will probably be the carb and ethanol varnish in the system. You need to run these generators every month for 20 mins or you will foul the carborators with the ethanol. I use only pure gas in all my small engines. Oh when I had my 24mfoot I fount this issue out as it cost me a new carb to get it to start and stay running.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”