Generator questions

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ackermari

Generator questions

Post by ackermari »

We are new to RV ownership. I have read through the generator topics in this forum, and understand that the gas tank must be at least half full to run the generator. We have had the RV out twice, and we were able to start the generator both times AFTER we drove it for a while (at least an hour). When we try to start the generator while sitting (not having been out on the road) it runs for about 20 seconds and then stops. No way can I get it to run. Now its covered for the winter, plugged into shore power to keep the batteries charged, and its winter here in PA so we cant take it out on the road. I know I need to run it, and to exercise the generator periodically, but despite running the RV for 40 minutes in my driveway today I still could not get the generator to run beyond 20 seconds. Any suggestions as to how I can exercise the generator when I cant take the RV out for a drive? And is it normal to not be able to get the generator to run without taking the vehicle out for a lengthy drive? I am wondering how I will use the generator when parked when we take it on a vacation. I dont want to have to go for an hour long drive around town just to be able to start the generator. I hope I am making sense as the technical terms are not something I am familiar with. Thanks!!

Marianne
Marianne & Ron Acker
Scranton PA
1996 22’ BFT “Lucy”
Purchased Oct 2017
RV newbies, but not new to the road.
40 states down/10 to go
randallrae

Re: Generator questions

Post by randallrae »

What brand and model of generator do you have?
2012 25' rb
ackermari

Post by ackermari »

Onan 2.8KVFA261100K
Marianne & Ron Acker
Scranton PA
1996 22’ BFT “Lucy”
Purchased Oct 2017
40 states down/10 to go
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

There are several possibilities.
  • Choke stuck open
  • Throttle stuck
  • Low oil level
  • Fuel filter
  • Fuel pump
  • Clogged fuel line
  • Clogged carburetor
  • Bad control board
Some generators will shut down it they rev up too high. I don't know if the opposite is true if they rev too low. I believe Onan generators have an altitude adjustment on the bottom of the carburetor. Try different settings if you can. Having to drive for an hour to get it started is not normal. Gas tank at least a quarter full is fine. If the carburetor is gummed up, about your only option is to remove it and soak in a can of carburetor cleaner then blow it out with compressed air. My Generac has a primer button that needs to be pressed prior to starting if the generator has not been run in a while. Some people have had good luck adding SeaFoam to the gas, but the generator needs to be running for it to do any good.

Link to download manual: Download manual
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
ackermari

Post by ackermari »

Thank you Tom. We did add OnaFresh when we were winterizing, and let the generator run for 2 hours. I did check the oil level and it is fine. I will have to read up on everything else since it is way beyond anything I have ever dealt with.

We did take a trip over to the “local” Onan service center (about an hour away) only to find that they no longer have a service tech onsite. The closest one is several hours drive from us. (I did learn from that not to trust online info as their website says they do have a generator tech onsite).

I feel like a dummy asking all these questions, but I am a retired Human Resources professional and have never even laid eyes on a generator until now! Where would I look to find a tech who could take care of this for me?

Marianne
Marianne & Ron Acker
Scranton PA
1996 22’ BFT “Lucy”
Purchased Oct 2017
40 states down/10 to go
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Sorry but I can't help with finding a tech. I have the mechanical and electrical skills to be able to work on most things myself. Good luck.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
whemme

Post by whemme »

Since Onan is owned by Cummins Engines, take it to a Cummins shop. Not cheap but you do want your starting problem fixed.

Driving or not driving your coach should not make any difference in being able to start you generator. My guess your problem may be an electric fuel pump problem.
Last edited by whemme on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
ackermari

Post by ackermari »

whemme wrote:Since Onan is owned by Cummins Engines, that it to a Cummins shop. Not cheap but you do want your starting problem fixed.

Driving or not driving your coach should not make any difference in being able to start you generator. My guess your problem may be an electric fuel pump problem.

Thank you!!! I guess when the weather gets better we will have to make an appt and take a trip to Harrisburg. That’s the closest Cummins shop that has a generator tech - 125 miles.

So let me ask - can I reasonably expect that if the generator is running properly I should be able to go outside at any time and it should start up?

Thanks!
Marianne
Marianne & Ron Acker
Scranton PA
1996 22’ BFT “Lucy”
Purchased Oct 2017
40 states down/10 to go
whemme

Post by whemme »

Yes
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

YES
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

For what it's worth, I have a '95 Coachmen b-van with the same Onan 2800 you have. It's kind of persnickity about when it'll run. When it's really cold (like winter-cold) I have to start it and let it run 'til it dies a half-dozen times before it'll run without dying. And six months ago I had the generator gone through at Cummins to the tune of $1200 worth.

The 7.5kw genset in the 32RB, on the other hand, never hesitates to start on the first or second try even after sitting in storage all winter.

My guess is that everything is so small (carburetor jets, fuel pump, etc.) on the 2800 that any kind of varnish or dirt will cause a temporary problem, and that it just doesn't get enough vaporization in the really cold temps to start easily. That said, your generator should still start any time of year, even if it's finicky about how cold it is.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

May be the generator is running on propane and the tank is low ???
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
ackermari

Post by ackermari »

Roger H wrote:For what it's worth, I have a '95 Coachmen b-van with the same Onan 2800 you have. It's kind of persnickity about when it'll run. When it's really cold (like winter-cold) I have to start it and let it run 'til it dies a half-dozen times before it'll run without dying. And six months ago I had the generator gone through at Cummins to the tune of $1200 worth.

The 7.5kw genset in the 32RB, on the other hand, never hesitates to start on the first or second try even after sitting in storage all winter.

My guess is that everything is so small (carburetor jets, fuel pump, etc.) on the 2800 that any kind of varnish or dirt will cause a temporary problem, and that it just doesn't get enough vaporization in the really cold temps to start easily. That said, your generator should still start any time of year, even if it's finicky about how cold it is.

Thank you for your insight Roger! $1200 is a steep price if nothing is resolved, since a new 2.8 can be purchased for $2400! Am going to wait for the weather to break and play around with it some more. I don’t anticipate having to use the generator much, if at all, but we figured it would be nice to have “just in case”.

Marianne
Marianne & Ron Acker
Scranton PA
1996 22’ BFT “Lucy”
Purchased Oct 2017
40 states down/10 to go
ackermari

Post by ackermari »

oliverpsmile wrote:May be the generator is running on propane and the tank is low ???

It is not a propane generator. It runs on gas, and the tank is full.
Marianne & Ron Acker
Scranton PA
1996 22’ BFT “Lucy”
Purchased Oct 2017
40 states down/10 to go
Fantom

Post by Fantom »

Perhaps you have airlock in the fuel line, between main and generator, because sounds like fuel starvation.
Try to connect your generator to a outside fuel tank and see if it will run normally
Alek
2002 Born Free 26' RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”