Wintertime - 2002 RB 24 foot

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bonnie McDowell

Wintertime - 2002 RB 24 foot

Post by Bonnie McDowell »

It's that time of year again. I live in VA, but I have short trips planned for mid and late October. If temp drops below freezing overnight before then (or even during the trips), will it be ok if not winterized if I am plugged into shore power, open cabinet doors, and keep an oil-filled radiator plugged in? I'm most concerned about the pipes that run down between the back wall of the shower and the outside wall (no cabinet doors to open there!).
Also, I read this recently:
I have a Born Free and I leave the motorhome plugged in all the time at home. I can shut off the house batteries if I want to, but I use a little maintainer for the engine batteries. I just plug the charger into the always alive DC plug on the dash, and plug the AC side into any handy plug in the motorhome. Does the Job!
Can someone recommend "a little maintainer"?
If I leave the knob turned for the coach batteries, will it also maintain those batteries as well?
Bonnie McDowell
2002 Born Free 24' RB on Ford E450/V10
My first RV - purchased September 2012
shilohdad

Re: Wintertime - 2002 RB 24 foot

Post by shilohdad »

Bonnie,

We have used our coaches (2006 24RB and 2017 Spirit (24RB)) in weather down to 17 degrees Fahrenheit. We just use a 1500 watt electric heater in the coach, run the hot water heater, and keep all the rear cabinet doors open. So far we have had no problem. As a matter of fact, when we picked up the 2006, that night it went down to 24 degrees with sleet, and Kim said it would be OK. He was right!

In our 2006, the shower pipes were well wrapped with insulating foam, and they never had a problem. Of course, we did NOT try to take a shower when the temperatures were below freezing. Evidently PEX pipes are quite flexible and forgiving, so temperatures a little below freezing should not be a problem. One time we thought we would have temperatures around 9 or 10 degrees. Kim would NOT say that would be OK, so we traveled a bit south to get to more reasonable temperatures.

As for the batteries, I wouldn't worry too much. October in VA is not really all that cold! You should probably be OK. Lower NY state is a lot harsher, and we have not had problems using the coaches well into late October. We go to the New York State Sheep & Wool Festival each year in mid October and never winterize before it.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
John S.

Post by John S. »

In the winter I pour some pink antifreeze into the holding tanks. I am in Virginia as well and will camp all year and do not winterize.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Bonnie McDowell

The question about the battery tender wasn't really specific to winter, except that I use the BF less and have to remember to start it and exercise the generator. I've read others mention about trickle chargers, but didn't realize that I could plug the coach into the outlet in my garage, and then have a device that would plug into an outlet in the coach and kept the coach batteries (and maybe also the Ford battery?) charged that way. Would I have to have a connection from the battery minder into the cigarette lighter in the Ford to keep a charge on the Ford battery? And would the battery minder also charge the coach batteries if I kept the knob for the coach batteries rotated up to the on position? Any and all input appreciated - I've learned so much from this site. Never had an RV before buying Harvey.
Bonnie McDowell
whemme

Post by whemme »

No, plugging a battery minder into a cigarette lighter socket on the chassis dash will keep your chassis battery charged but not your coach deep cycle coach batteries. You will need a 2nd battery minder with alligator clips hooked to your coach batteries (which generally are two 12 vdc batteries connected in parallel.

However if your 2002 Born Free happened to have in the past been upgraded with a modern 3-stage charger/converter, then you could leave your coach plugged into shore line power and leave the battery master switch ON. That will also keep your coach batteries charged while in storage.

Don't use this method however if your coach is still equipped with it's original single stage Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter as extended charging of your coach batteries using this method will result in overcharging the batteries, cause loss of battery acid and eventual distruction of those batteries.
Last edited by whemme on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
BobnGail

Post by BobnGail »

We lived in our 2005 BF in NE Mississippi while building our house from Sept-Feb experiencing several hard freezes. We put a piece of attic insulation inside the outside access door to the water lines to shower & used either coach propane heater or small electric space heater with cabinet doors open and no problems! After house built we stored the BF hooked up to electrical with trickle charger for coach batteries but recently upgraded to the Progressive Dynamics PD4655 unit recommended by Bill Hemme. Hope to do a few more trips that might require dry camping so feel it was money well spent. It is sooo much quieter than the old Parallax converter!!
Bob n Gail
2005 26RB
Oxford MS
Bonnie McDowell

Bill, you are always such a wealth of information. I just got 2 new batteries for the coach. When I took it in for state inspection, I had them check the coach batteries, because they were no longer starting the generator and I would have to start the truck and then I would start the generator after the truck had been running awhile. Anyway, they said that one cell was bad in one of the batteries, and two cells were bad in the other. I was going to go with AGM, but their Interstate supplier said they would not available until November and they didn't want to go with another brand. I had decided that I would wait until spring to deal with this, but the garage called Interstate and they replaced my batteries for free!
So if the 2 batteries are connected in parallel, how do I connect the battery minder? And can I leave it connected all the time, even when I am using the coach batteries? I am such a dunce when it comes to this stuff.
Bonnie McDowell
whemme

Post by whemme »

Since the two Interstate batteries are connected in parallel, just hook the black (negative) battery minder alligator clip to one of the batteries negative (-) terminals which one will not matter and the red (positive) alligator clip to one of the batteries positive (+) terminals which one again will not matter.

Yes you can run your coach's battery powered appliances while the battery minder is hooked up.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Bonnie McDowell

Thanks, Bill. Can you recommend a battery minder for me? My coach is parked about 20 feet away from my garage, which is where my electrical outlets are.
Bonnie McDowell
whemme

Post by whemme »

I would recommend this unit. BatteryMINDer Model 12117: 12 Volt 1.33 Amp (12V 1.33A) Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator

It is available at Amazon.com for $29.99 plus shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Mo ... 5355717334
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I've had a Schumacher brand that I've had for years. I went down to pick up another and it looks the same but is lighter, the older one was significantly heavier. Both made in china as all are I suspect. Pick those up for $20 and the old one was a good maintainer, see if the newer ones are.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.
Bonnie McDowell

Ok, now for the logistics of connecting, since coach is parked 20-25 feet from garage. Would I run an outdoor extension cord from outlet in garage and plug the box part of the BatteryMinder into the extension cord? And just keep the BatteryMindar in the compartment with the batteries? Would it fit, and would that be safe?

Just to clarify, if I would upgrade to the 3-stage charger/converter, I could plug the Battery Minder into a coach outlet, plug the coach into shore power, and not need to attach to the batteries with alligator clips? Would an RV place be the one to do that upgrade (I am NOT a DIY), and how much would it cost?
Bonnie McDowell
whemme

Post by whemme »

Since your are parked 20 to 25 ft from your garage outlet you will need an extension cord. The Battery Minder should fit inside your coach battery compartment on top of one of the batteries.

If you want to upgrade to a modern 3-stage charger/converter the one I highly recommend is the Progressive Dynamic PD4655V model. the coronet price for that unit from BestConverter.com is $197.50 but will cost more if you buy and have it installed by a RV service center.

See the unit at this BestConverter.com website link: http://www.bestconverter.com/PD4655V-55 ... bqsBhTxZj4

You can read more about this upgrade by reading my post about it at the following link to a post of mine in the Coach Modification section of this forum: https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... =14&t=2482

With this upgrade, you then could use a single Battery Minder plugged into the cab cigarette lighter socket to keep the chassis battery charged and the PD4655V Charger/Converter powered by hooking up to shoreline power with the battery master switch left turned ON to keep your coach's batteries charged.
Last edited by whemme on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Bonnie McDowell

Thanks again, Bill. If I want to start the generator (which I do every 2 weeks in the winter for "exercise") do I need to disconnect the BatteryMinder? If so, can I just unplug the extension cord in the garage, or do I need to disconnect the alligator clips?
Bonnie McDowell
whemme

Post by whemme »

I added more to my post above.

It is OK to start your generator with either a Battery Minder connected to your coach's batteries or with the 3 stage charger/converter upgrade used to charge the coach's batteries.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”