Awning problem

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

walkyourway

Awning problem

Post by walkyourway »

I regret that I keep asking questions but as a newby to Born Free who else can I ask? I do appreciate all your assistance in this steep learning curve.

The latest and last, (hopefully) problem is the awning. It was working last December when I bought this 2015 Freedom but now nothing. I have changed the batteries in both the fixed and remote operators and still nothing. I have checked the 12 volt Firefly breaker. I am assuming that there has to be a fuse in the Girard (RV Awning Products) systems control box, but where is it? I have contacted Girard and they have told me its probably in a base compartment but to speak to ARG/AV. Who are ARG/AV? - can't find any link.

Any ideas please or is there a detection system that tells the awning not to work for dummies?

Chris

2015 Freedom
JBolick

Re: Awning problem

Post by JBolick »

I am currently working on a 2014 model and am having the same trouble locating the receiver box. this model has a dometic cassette awning with no physical switch, but only the remote which I find quite annoying. Two of us spent about an hour going over the coach, taking off panels and pulling out drawers in a futile attempt to find this receiver. With this company now out of business and no help in web searches, I am at a loss on how to find this very hidden receiver.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Not knocking the automatic appliances in the newer model Born Free Coaches but I am glad my early model coach has manual awning, manual window shades, etc.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

It might make sense to research this on other RB sites like Airstream or Winnebago? Our install cannot be unique.
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

BIll: I agree with your comments on the automatic appliances somewhat. I think you have to take each item and consider it independently. For example I would prefer not having automatic shades as they are problematic to adjust them if they go out of sync but it is great to just push one button and see all the shades in the coach go down at once. So manual vs auto in this case is a tie for me. The multiplex lighting is really nice also but I see a big bill if they ever go bad so I would prefer the old fashioned switches. The electric awning can also be a problem but it it really makes it easy to close the awning quickly in the event of adverse weather conditions and it is easy to close it every night to be safe. So I vote yes for them even with Chris's problems. Induction cooktops may be great but since I have to have propane in the coach I would choose the propane cooktop. Mine was replaced twice after it would not work in the coach and the factory finally gave up and put in a propane cooktop. No more having to start the generator to heat up my lunch while traveling. My 2015 Splendor coach has a Dometic awning so I can't be much help to Chris with his receiver problem.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
whemme

Post by whemme »

A long time Class A coach owner once gave me a piece of awning care advice when I was a new Born Free owner. He said to never, never leave the coach with the awning extended for example when leaving to go out for dinner in the the evening. He said a 15 mph wind is enough to fold up and damage or destroy an extended awning.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

Really good advice IMO.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”