Speakers and Amplifier for TV/DVD?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Taobeemr

Speakers and Amplifier for TV/DVD?

Post by Taobeemr »

Hope someone can help me. I installed a Sharp Aquos LCD TV on the closet wall , hooked up to the DVD player and the Directv receiver. All are powered by an inverter. I would really like better, louder sound when watching movies. Circuit City says I have to get a Surround Sound System with AMP, and that I would need a larger inverter. It seems I can't use my front radio (original equipment) to channel the TV sound through my existing RV ceiling speakers because the radio doesn't have a jack.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

I added some powered computer speakers to the TV/DVD/CD syatem in our BF. They have their own amplifier and only require about 35 watts. This includes two small speakers and a small subwoofer. The wire for the audio input to the speaker system has a miniature stereo jack that plugs right into the female stereo headphone output on your TV.

In the small space of the BF, computer speakers make a pretty big sound. Actually, they sound great. It might be worthwhile to go into some place like Best Buy and listen to their various computer speakers. Some of them really sound good. It's likely you can run them from the inverter you already have.. Larry
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

rv4fun: Can you post some pictures of where and how you mounted your speakers and subwoofer? Does anyone make a 12 volt powered speaker system so you could eliminate the inverter?
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

All automobile stereo systems are 12v and therefore, no inverters are required. Yes, there are powered speakers, but the choices are limited. Most work with a separate 12v power amplifier. Yes, there are also 12v surround systems out there.

One way to listen to your TV via the chasis stereo would be to use an FM signal transmitter, if your TV has a mini output jack. One can buy a relatively inexpensive FM transmitter at any stereo store. It simply plugs into any output jack and transmit the audio signal via an FM sginal. Any FM radio can then be tuned to that signal. You want to be sure that it can transmit the distance from your TV to the chasis radio.

We solved the volume problem by having two sets of wireless headphones, connected to our TV. They are made by Senheisser and they work great!
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

Roadtech, We're taking off tomorrow morning in our BF for a week and I haven't figured out yet how to post pictures. So, I'll give you a rough description instead of pictures. The left and right speakers are small speakers held up by mountable stands. I mounted these speakers underneath the each of the long overhead BF cabinets. All I had to do was mount the stands on the horizontal surface below the front of these side cabinets. From there they provide left and right stereo sound. My 2001, 22ft Rear Door has a built in box for the TV just behind the passenger seat. I placed the small subwoofer on top of this box. At full power, the whole system runs on 30 watts AC. I have a small inverter plugged into the 12VDC power point that is standard on my BF. This power point is conveniently located above and behind the TV. I run the audio in cable from the speaker system into the stereo headphone output on the TV. Like I mentioned earlier, the sound is remarkably good in the small living space of our BF. This description is not as good as some pictures, but I hope it helps.. Larry
BornFree_n_Now

Speakers & Amp "Boston Acoustics" BA4800

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

We mounted one of these systems in the back of our RSB for the flat screen we mounted in the “bedroomâ€
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”