Refrigerator on propane or using an inverter to provide elec

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Vlamgat

Re: Refrigerator on propane or using an inverter to provide

Post by Vlamgat »

And it's the detection of good power from the shore or an external generator that allows my Outback set up to support the generator. Same thing with the Xantrex. But only for 6 hours or so with one generator and the Xantrex. The BF Onan takes over when the battery is depleted by the a/c cycled starts. I have to start the engine to augment the generator and restore the battery. That takes between 3 and 5 hours depending on how many cycles take place during the restoration process.

My deepest apologies for the substitution of investor for inverter. Predictive spelling can hinder more than it helps but I understand how hard it is for some to read in the correct meaning and don't want to overstay.
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Holy crap. Now we have a Xantrex inverter in the picture as well as an Outback inverter/charger. Then it also appears we have an Onan generator and, if I remember correctly, a Honda generator someplace. If you REALLY want help, you have to give us a complete electrical picture here. This sounds like a really screwy setup. How in the heck is all this stuff wired in?????
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Vlamgat,

Is this the Outback inverter/charger you have in your Born Free as shown in the two attached photos? If so, in the description it states that when connected to shoreline power or when running a generator, a transfer switch switches all 115 vac power from either the shoreline connector or the generator to main 115 vac bus disconnecting the inverter function. The charger function is then initiated to recharge the batteries. If the battery changing function has been properly programmed, this unit should be capable or rather rapid recharging of your batteries while either the Onan or remote Honda generator is running.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 10.17.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 10.17.42 PM.png (240.7 KiB) Viewed 7045 times
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 10.18.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 10.18.02 PM.png (161.32 KiB) Viewed 7045 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I think that what Vlamgat is trying to say is that his inverter/charger is set to do what is called "generator assist". Outback calls it "Support Mode".

Quote from Outback manual:
The Support mode is intended for systems that use the utility grid or a generator. In some
cases the amount of current available from the source is limited due to size, wiring, or other
reasons. If large loads are required, the FXR inverter augments (supports) the AC source.
The inverter uses battery power and additional sources to ensure that the loads receive the
power they demand.

Not very many inverter/chargers do this. Even so, the Outback should have no problem keeping the batteries charged if using the onboard generator.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
whemme

Post by whemme »

Tom,

If that is the case I wish Valgmat had so explained that clearly. It would have prevented so many confusing reply posts.

Again if that is the case then his Outback inverter/charger never fully transfers only the output from the remote Honda generator to the Born Free's 115 vac power bus powering the A/C. Therefore the Outback does not revert to the battery charging mode to recharge the batteries. If the Honda does not have the capacity to run the A/C by itself so that the Outbacks Suport Mode can be shut off allowing the Outback to revert to battery charging mode, then I guess the solution to his problem is to get a higher capacity Honda and shut off the Support Mode.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

[quote="tomzleapin"]I think that what Vlamgat is trying to say is that his inverter/charger is set to do what is called "generator assist". Outback calls it "Support Mode".

Quote from Outback manual:
[color=#0000FF][b]The Support mode is intended for systems that use the utility grid or a generator. In some
cases the amount of current available from the source is limited due to size, wiring, or other
reasons. If large loads are required, the FXR inverter augments (supports) the AC source.
The inverter uses battery power and additional sources to ensure that the loads receive the
power they demand. [/b][/color]

Not very many inverter/chargers do this. Even so, the Outback should have no problem keeping the batteries charged if using the onboard generator.[/quote]

Yes indeed. And I made a mistake. The SMB is a TrippLite and it has the same switchable feature. I have it operating in this mode as I write and ran the Outback in this mode all yesterday. The Outback and the TrippLite do fine on 30 amps but both struggle with 15 thus eventually depleting the battery (s) and shortening their lives by about 50%.
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

[quote="whemme"]Tom,

If that is the case I wish Valgmat had so explained that clearly. It would have prevented so many confusing reply posts.

Again if that is the case then his Outback inverter/charger never fully transfers only the output from the remote Honda generator to the Born Free's 115 vac power bus powering the A/C. Therefore the Outback does not revert to the battery charging mode to recharge the batteries. If the Honda does not have the capacity to run the A/C by itself so that the Outbacks Suport Mode can be shut off allowing the Outback to revert to battery charging mode, then I guess the solution to his problem is to get a higher capacity Honda and shut off the Support Mode.[/quote]

Agreed but I do not have the space or strength to lift the bigger 3000 watt generators or would have acquired one. Only 60 dB at 50% output.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Vlamgat,

Well I guess the laws of physics have shown they are true in your case. Your A/C and battery recharging requirements exceed what your 2000 watt Honda generator can supply so battery recharging suffers.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Vlamgat wrote:The SMB is a TrippLite and it has the same switchable feature
I have no idea what an SMB is.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

That’s his 2000 Sportsmobile he referenced in an earlier post. He has the same problem with it. In that post he referenced both his Sportsmobile and his SMB interchangeably.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

Correct. The company that brought the Vanawagon to the US that may have invented the Class B (or is it C, I am never sure) as possibly the first affordable mobile RV.

Anyway have spent some time reviewing the Easy Start thread on the Airstream forum and now believe that my problem is also the aging effects on the Honda 2000. The combination of infrequent use, our poor quality fuel, and the limitations of the Honda have conspired to make this problem very challenging with a lot of moving parts.
I am dropping off this thread until I get it fixed.
Thanks all.
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Vlamgat wrote:The combination of infrequent use, our poor quality fuel, and the limitations of the Honda have conspired to make this problem very challenging with a lot of moving parts.
Thanks all.
The Honda 2000 is rated for 1600 watts continuous. It's unlikely that any of the above would be a factor. If it's running fine and doesn't go into overload, it boils down to you are simply drawing too much current to keep your batteries charged. One option is to purchase another 2000 and parallel the two.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv- ... gL1l_D_BwE weighs 25 lbs more with 2 handles to carry and 53 db noise level.
I am impressed that the outback inverter can automatically detect that load assistance is needed and then phase itself with the incoming power . The little generators need to be linked with a cable to parallel each other , it takes a more sophisticated system to automatically do the the parallel link . I would think that would make the outback on the expensive side . I therefore would be careful to make sure not to overly tax the outback power output and thereby possibly shorten it's life .
2012 25' rb
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Wow! I'm tempted to erase all my posts here just to help make this rabbit hole less of a maize for the archive.

One point, I would not be surprised to find all this power management equipment loading the overall power draw to the tipping point. By itself, the Honda 2000 would probably run the air conditioner just fine! And if it still has trouble starting the compressor the Easy Start would help. Just remember to turn the a/c to fan only when running the microwave! :)
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”