Remodeling help, please!

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Christi

Remodeling help, please!

Post by Christi »

Hi all! We're about to start some interior remodeling to our 2000 26'RSB. Our family is growing and we decided to remove the entertainment center over the cab and install a bed. We're thinking some wooden cleats mounted to the edge of the cut out space over the cab, where we can then put a plywood mounted mattress to match a custom mattress over the rest of the cab-over. This would allow us to remove the cut out area when driving. My hubs is a home remodeler and carpenter, so can handle the project, but we wondered how much space there was between the coach's interior walls and the exterior shell. We'd hate to accidentally drill all the way through when mounting the bed platform.
Christi and Mark, plus 2 kids and a cat
2000 Born Free 26ft RSB
2008 Toyota Corolla toad
randallrae

Re: Remodeling help, please!

Post by randallrae »

2012 25' rb
Christi

Post by Christi »

Super interesting, randallrae! Thanks for linking!

My question still stands, regarding mounting things to the wall, though. Even if we could find a bed to put in to the cabover, our next project will be to build the back bed into a bunk. Kids gotta have a space, too. :)
2000 Born Free 26ft RSB
2008 Toyota Corolla toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Here's a link to a conversion from queen to twin bed that club member Eric Sandstrom did:

https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... =14&t=1550
The article may give you some ideas for your project.

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Christi

Post by Christi »

Thanks! Thanks definitely helpful!
2000 Born Free 26ft RSB
2008 Toyota Corolla toad
Torque

Post by Torque »

Christi,
You are welcome to look at our 1998 Born Free. It came with the above cab bunk and I am in the process of rotating it so you sleep lengthwise, I removed the upper cabinet over the Flexsteel swivel seat. The mattress (Ikea) is off-center toward the door. I like the setup much better, not so claustrophobic and each person is independent of one another. I suppose kids could care less. We just bought the Born Free this spring and I did a quick mod on the bed for Ragbrai, hope to find time before next spring to refine it. In answer to your specific question, I am unclear as well. Somewhere I had nice photographs from the factory showing them assemble a unit, we may be able to glean from them how thick the wall is.

Patrick

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”