Microwave Replacement

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Hugh

Re: Microwave Replacement

Post by Hugh »

I ran the new microwave as a convection oven this evening, and after about 20 minutes it died. The circuit breaker is still closed. I will pull it out after it cools & check for power. I think I am going to have a warranty claim soon.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Bcope, I have not installed my microwave yet. I cannot lift it high enough to slide it in the cabinet. I have maintenance to be compieted so I will ask my mechanic to install.

Looking at the photo I initially posted, you will see two metal “sleeves” and two wood supports. The original Panasonic model that Born Free installed fit between these two metal pieces and was supported by the frame extensions shown in the photo below. Why did they not use the wood supports? My guess is this method was a shock absorber. I wish I could call Kim!

Hugh states in his first post that he put in new wood supports of a different height. I had been contiplating doing the same but I had intended to find some method of cushioning. The new frame does not have the frame extensions and evidently I am to screw it to the sides of the microwave with no cushioning method.

If Hugh reads this post please tell me if you drilled holes in the side of the microwave to attach the frame. If any other helpful info please let me know.

Attachments
25617CC1-338B-452C-8295-8BDD54FA3F11.jpeg
25617CC1-338B-452C-8295-8BDD54FA3F11.jpeg (72.97 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Hugh wrote:I ran the new microwave as a convection oven this evening, and after about 20 minutes it died. The circuit breaker is still closed. I will pull it out after it cools & check for power. I think I am going to have a warranty claim soon.
The typical BF installation (built into a small cabinet) makes me suspicious as to whether they are getting adequate ventilation especially for the convection mode.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Mike & Jean Bandfield wrote:
Hugh wrote:I ran the new microwave as a convection oven this evening, and after about 20 minutes it died. The circuit breaker is still closed. I will pull it out after it cools & check for power. I think I am going to have a warranty claim soon.
The typical BF installation (built into a small cabinet) makes me suspicious as to whether they are getting adequate ventilation especially for the convection mode.
Hence the vented face frame. My home has almost the identical installation as did my BFT. Never had a problem with either caused by alleged restricted ventilation. However, the bumping and jarring in a mobile environment may have an adverse affect on any electrical component.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

The microwave has holes in the side for mounting the face plate to. I am waiting on a warranty replacement for the convection oven that shut down after about 20min. When I install it I am also going to add a 3" muffin fan behind the oven for additional cooling.

OK, the replacement oven arrived. I installed a 3" fan behind the new microwave/convection oven. I cut a 3" hole behind the stove hood for the fan. I have used the convection oven twice at 400F for 50 minutes each time without any issues. The fan I used is:
AC Infinity Axial 8038.

The fan moves enough air for me to feel the warm air from the vents above the oven. I do not know if the first oven was faulty or if the space behind the microwave is too small, but this little fan (or the new oven) has solved my issues.

I have a thermostat to install so the fan does not run any time there is 120 volts (as it does now) but I have not installed it yet.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”