Microwave Replacement

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Microwave Replacement

Post by Dallas Baillio »

7F3CCC9B-D723-464F-92D8-B4F553DB5775.jpeg
7F3CCC9B-D723-464F-92D8-B4F553DB5775.jpeg (149.16 KiB) Viewed 11072 times
The Panasonic microwave in my BF was struck by lightning while camping at the Grand Canyon. If you have replaced the microwave in your BF please let me know what brand and what size you used. The microwave was original equipment in my 2001 RSB. It has a frame that helps hold it in place and gives a finished look to the cutout. I’ve searched several sites and have not found one in a comparable size to mine.

I have included a photo of the cut out. It is 22” X 15”. What are the two sheet metal pieces that are perpendicular to the cutout used for?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Roger H

Re: Microwave Replacement

Post by Roger H »

The microwave in my '06 had been replaced prior to me buying it. The new microwave apparently came with its own installation frame as it is a different size and used different holes. I had to fill the old holes in with appropriately colored wood putty as whoever replaced the microwave didn't bother. I don't know whether the original was some non-standard size, or there is no "standard size" but apparently there are frames available for other microwaves.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Dallas,
For what is worth, your cabinet looks identical to ours and our microwave is a Panasonic Microwave / Convection Oven (NN-T888S)
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

2012 25' rb
nrmcclain

Post by nrmcclain »

About 3 years ago our Tappan microwave/convection oven stopped working in the BF and we were unsuccessful in getting it repaired.

Our search for a replacement unit led us to a 1.1 CF High Pointe microwave/convection oven found at Burnstine’s Distributing Corporation located in Elkhart, Indiana.

After several calls to the distributor to verify dimensions they shipped us the following unit and it was a good fit in the existing cabinet cavity:

Model: B-ECO28BMR-B
Trim Kit: B-KITB2801 – B
Vendor: Burnstine’s Distributing Corporation
Phone: (574) 848-1118

We hope this helps.

Nick & Dee Dee
2006 BF 24’RB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

nrmcclain wrote:About 3 years ago our Tappan microwave/convection oven stopped working in the BF and we were unsuccessful in getting it repaired.

Our search for a replacement unit led us to a 1.1 CF High Pointe microwave/convection oven found at Burnstine’s Distributing Corporation located in Elkhart, Indiana.

After several calls to the distributor to verify dimensions they shipped us the following unit and it was a good fit in the existing cabinet cavity:

Model: B-ECO28BMR-B
Trim Kit: B-KITB2801 – B
Vendor: Burnstine’s Distributing Corporation
Phone: (574) 848-1118

We hope this helps.

Nick & Dee Dee
2006 BF 24’RB
Here is a link to the unit on their website:

https://burnstines.com/collections/micr ... ec028bsc-b

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
nrmcclain

Post by nrmcclain »

Bill,

Thanks for posting the link.

Additionally, the 1.1 CF High Pointe microwave/convection oven specified above cost us about $228 including shipping and handling and plugged right in to the existing 3 wire outlet.

Nick & Dee Dee
2006 BF 24’RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Thanks everyone for all the helpful posts. I’ll post the solution I find.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Dallas Baillio wrote:Thanks everyone for all the helpful posts. I’ll post the solution I find.
Dallas, nrmcclain’s suggestion won’t work for you? Seems to fit you cutout perfectly.

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Bill, It is a half inch wider than the existing opening. The height is .1 shorter than the existing opening so that should work. I am not certain about depth. If you look at my photo above you will note that the depth varies as the back curves inward as it rises. I have misplaced the depth measurement. My BF is in storage so I will have to drive there and measure again.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Dallas, you are referring to the cutout dimensions. IMHO, a half inch short in recommended cutout width is no big deal. The microwave itself at 20.5” should easily fit in your 22” opening.

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Bill, no I just made a mistake. Thanks for the correction. I make lots of mistakes now that I a senior senior.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

My sincere thanks to nrmcclain (Bil and Dee Dee) for taking the time to respond to my microwave search. And thanks to Bill (bcope01) keeping me focused. I ordered the subject microwave today. Should arrive on next Wed or Thur.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

I just replaced my Panasonic microwave / convection oven with the High Pointe Bill put a link to. Thank you Bill! It fit after we removed the two wooden blocks and the aluminum supports. We installed two blocks 1-1/8" high by 12" long for the High Pointe microwave to rest on, and the face plate is identical in size and location to the Panasonic. (2004 24RB)
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Dallas, how did it work out for you?

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”