Can I run my AC on 110 volt 15 amp at a campground?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Can I run my AC on 110 volt 15 amp at a campground?

Post by stevek »

I am thinking of going to a CG, where only 110 volt 15 amp may be available.
Or maybe might be 20 amp? Not sure.
Will the AC work OK? How long of a drop cord can I run? Assume 12 ga wire.
Any other words of advice? Thanks.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
shilohdad

Re: Can I run my AC on 110 volt 15 amp at a campground?

Post by shilohdad »

At home I run our air conditioner on a 20 amp circuit. If you do try to run on a 15 amp circuit (we may have done this at a campground, but can’t remember for sure), get a good 30 to 20 amp adapter and put it on the end of your shore line. Do not use a 20 amp extension cord. If you must use a 20 amp extension, get as heavy-duty a one as you can. Do not run anything else on AC when running the air conditioner. Do not use the microwave. Run the refrigerator on propane. Do not run the hot water heater on electric. Don’t plug in your coffee maker. Run NOTHING else on AC power. You get the idea, right? Doing this, with luck, you won’t trip the pedestal’s circuit breaker. If all else fails, run your Fantastic and sweat a bit. It’s good for the soul!
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

I am our resident non tech techie and know only what I have read and can understand. Our air conditioners draw 10 to 15 amps, depending on the cycle of the air conditioner - initial cooling draws the most. With the phantom loads in the coach, I think you are looking at a problem with only 15 amps, and could damage your ac unit. Just my amateur opinoin. I never want to risk breaking what I cannot fix! Good luck and let us know if you try it!

Judy Harris
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
whemme

Post by whemme »

For the last several years I have camped at the Knoxville, IA airport for the 10 days of the Knoxville Nationals sprint car races. Only service there to plug into is 115 vac, 20 amp. I run my A/C on that circuit. But any added load such as the microwave or a hair dryer will blow the 20 amp breaker for that service hookup. Don't know if a 15 amp circuit will work - you will have to give it a try. If the 15 amp breaker blows when starting the A/C, you will need to find a 20 amp circuit to plug into. I use my normal 25' yellow shoreline power cable with a 25' extension.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Check for low voltage too. CGs are notorious for circuits with too many campers and the ones at the end of long runs can get dragged down pretty low. Don't even try it if it's below 110VAC. It can be really hard on AC compressor motors.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
jjhepkin

Post by jjhepkin »

we had a breakdown last summer and had to park in the repair shop parking lot waiting for service to our born free. the only power available to our coach was a 15 amp circuit and it was hotter than hell !!
we tried everything we knew but could not keep the breaker from tripping when the ac kicked in. the fan was no problem, but the ac just drew too much current, even with everything turned off inside.

20 amp would work as long as nothing else was turned on.....but no 15 amp !!

john
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

The big challenge with a 15 or 20 amp outlet is the a/c startup demand which can reach 30 amps in hot weather. The Airstream and Sportsmobile guys have been getting success running their a/c on a Honda 2000 generator using the Micro Air Easy Start modification to their A/C units. I have no vested interest just a satisfied customer.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

While connected to shore power would starting the generator switch over to the generator providing 20+ amps to start the roof ac and handle that startup drain? Then turn off the generator and go back to shore power? I am an electrical novice and expect this would not work but I have to ask!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
whemme

Post by whemme »

May or may not work. Would have to get it a try I guess.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Dallas’s idea would probably depend on how fast the transfer switch goes back to shore power. It would probably have to be instantaneous or else the air conditioner would stop and need the startup surge again. To make things worse, if the air conditioner stops suddenly, normally there is a time lag before it can start again. Maybe the best thing would be to drive off to a parking lot someplace and run the generator and A/C and come back at night :-)
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

What Shilohdad wrote. I don't think any transfer process would allow that unless there was a common 110v bus. Something not very common in SMB.

I think Class A rv wiring would allow this.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”