Request for guidance on repairs

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bbwolf

Request for guidance on repairs

Post by bbwolf »

We were fortunate enough to purchase our 2014 Born Free "Freedom" directly from the factory. As with everyone else, heartbroken that our favorite manufacturer is not in business.
One of the impacts we are experiencing is a complete change in support from vendors of products on the Born Free. I'm currently on a wait list to even speak to a technical support person for the HWH Leveling Jack system. (2 month wait list..)

My reason for this post is to ask for help on another product. The Black/Grey Tank sewer hose Carry Tube, under the RV. It is a unique tube that opens at the Rear Bumper of the vehicle and goes toward the front. I cracked the end of it when lowering the RV (retracting the Leveling Jacks) and the tube got "squished" on the Campsite cement curb.

How can I locate the Product Manufacturer of this plastic tube holder so that I can replace it? In the past, I would simply have called Kim.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Love the Born Free!
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
jlef123

Re: Request for guidance on repairs

Post by jlef123 »

The company that makes the sewer hose carrier is D & W Inc. Here is a url to get you to the catalog page for the parts you need.
https://www.dwincorp.com/product-catego ... -carriers/
Hope that helps. By the way I find that the Hatch door is a weak link so I ordered an extra to have on hand after my first one broke. Postage is more than the cost of the door.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Thank you for your help and the quick response!
I went out and measured the tube and have more ordered the correct replacement part!
We also experienced that weak access door part, so based on your advice I ordered a second one at the same time.

Thank you again for your help!!!
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

bbwolf wrote:Thank you for your help and the quick response!
I went out and measured the tube and have more ordered the correct replacement part!
We also experienced that weak access door part, so based on your advice I ordered a second one at the same time.

Thank you again for your help!!!
What's going on with your HWH jacks? I live in Tipton, nine miles from the factory and have a number of friends who are employees. I also have them on my '06 32RQ. Perhaps I can help? Or get the answer for you?
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

The Jack's will become stuck when fully deployed.
I had to call them as an emergency the first time. They talked me through a temporary fix where you lossen the fill location nut, releasing the pressure on the hydraulic fluid. This allows the Jack's to retract. They then had me order the replacement unit to permanently resolve it from sticking again.
I was told that once I get the part, they will only need 10 to 25 minutes to talk me through the replacement procedure. They said it is pretty easy.
I received the replacement unit but need to talk to them as I remove and replace the part to be sure I do it correctly.
That is what I am on the waiting list for.

I just don't want to make a mistake.

Our problem is that we take off for a long trip in three weeks...
I let the scheduler know this, but I don't think we get the same high level of support that Born Free used to command.

Just you trying is greatly appreciated!!!!
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

bbwolf wrote:The Jack's will become stuck when fully deployed.
I had to call them as an emergency the first time. They talked me through a temporary fix where you lossen the fill location nut, releasing the pressure on the hydraulic fluid. This allows the Jack's to retract. They then had me order the replacement unit to permanently resolve it from sticking again.
I was told that once I get the part, they will only need 10 to 25 minutes to talk me through the replacement procedure. They said it is pretty easy.
I received the replacement unit but need to talk to them as I remove and replace the part to be sure I do it correctly.
That is what I am on the waiting list for.

I just don't want to make a mistake.

Our problem is that we take off for a long trip in three weeks...
I let the scheduler know this, but I don't think we get the same high level of support that Born Free used to command.

Just you trying is greatly appreciated!!!!
Well, it sounds like you have it well in hand. HWH is an excellent company with really great employees. I recently had a solenoid fail on mine after twelve years' service. They got me in the next day and had the new one installed in an hour. Sorry I couldn't help... but I thought I'd at least ask! Good luck with your repairs!
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

"Well, it sounds like you have it well in hand. HWH is an excellent company with really great employees. I recently had a solenoid fail on mine after twelve years' service. They got me in the next day and had the new one installed in an hour. Sorry I couldn't help... but I thought I'd at least ask! Good luck with your repairs!"

Thank you for the offer of support! Greatly appreciated!
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

My pleasure... I'm glad you have it well in hand though. Please keep us posted on how the repairs go!

Roger
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

Did you resolve this problem?

I too had the 2 days- to 2 weeks call-back notice from HWH and resolved that my Shuttle Valve had failed. From the emails above, it sounds like this was the part that was sent that they thought you could replace. Mine is inaccessible on a 2014 Triumph as it has a panel screwed to the top of the valve manifold. The crews to remove that panel have only an inch of clearance to the chassis cross member: too small for a stubby screw driver once the screw is partially removed.

I am curious if your set up is the same and how you did the removal. Its cute that HWH provides the exact wrench size to remove this valve but fails to warn its customers that owner may (or will) need access to the these valves for maintenance.

I am also curious as to whether anyone has replaced their HWH hydraulic oil at any time and how they performed that job. Its prone to picking up detrius which is what causes the Shuttle Valve to jam open
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Vlamgat wrote:Did you resolve this problem?

I too had the 2 days- to 2 weeks call-back notice from HWH and resolved that my Shuttle Valve had failed. From the emails above, it sounds like this was the part that was sent that they thought you could replace. Mine is inaccessible on a 2014 Triumph as it has a panel screwed to the top of the valve manifold. The crews to remove that panel have only an inch of clearance to the chassis cross member: too small for a stubby screw driver once the screw is partially removed.

I am curious if your set up is the same and how you did the removal. Its cute that HWH provides the exact wrench size to remove this valve but fails to warn its customers that owner may (or will) need access to the these valves for maintenance.

I am also curious as to whether anyone has replaced their HWH hydraulic oil at any time and how they performed that job. Its prone to picking up detrius which is what causes the Shuttle Valve to jam open
It is the same Shuttle valve you are describing. Based on my research, it is an IO board that sits on the top covering access to the Valve.

No, I have not received a call yet... I did call and ask where I was in the Queue, mainly because we take off for our long trip in a few weeks. They said they have no way of figuring that out.
How I long for the days that Born Free could influence companies to provide support....

I was reading that the reason a Shuttle Valve goes bad is contamination in the hydraulic fluid. Probably introduced during installation.

I also want to ask them how to flush out the system and hopefully remove any contaminates.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

It does look like an i/o board housed in a grey metallic box and mounted to the top of plastic posts with Phillips screws. when I spoke to the receptionist at HWH to get on their list (Kristal) told me that this could be dismounted to get to the shuttle valve. But as i wrote, this will be very challenging.

I use my BF to tow my race car trailer. At the event where this stuck jack first appeared, my Crew Chief suggested the only way to deal with misbehaving hydraulic valves was to bang on them. So I took a punch, placed the blunt end on the valve head, and then both sides of the valve manifold that I could reach and whacked each time with a couple of hammer blows. When I activated the retract mechanism, I found the function was restored. Not really believing this I cycled through another couple of cycles and it worked perfectly each time.

So what can I tell you, race car science is really an art. However I suspect I will have to do this process again (or remove one of the valve caps) to use the jacks before I find a way to remove the I/o box and access the valve. But the real problem is the contaminated oil I suspect so please let us know how to replace or clean this - and i will do the same if I hear from them.
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Vlamgat, an easier way to get it functioning again is to loosen the nut right on top of the unit (just under the IO board). This is a release for the hydraulics. You will get about half a teaspoon of hydraulic fluid to come out, but the jacks will now work. Tighten the nut back again, not too tight, but enough to seal properly.

I have done this procedure way too many times!!!
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

Thanks, thats what I have been doing. But I have to do it every time I need to lower the jacks. Whereas banging on the manifold usually frees up the valve for 4 or 5 cycles.
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Ooh... I did not understand that. My bad.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Alan, we have a 2014 HWH leveling system on our Royal Splendor and it failed last winter. We had it repaired in FL last March and has been working fine but can you describe where the unit is with the lug nut to release the hydraulic fluid? Our problem was a little different, I think, as the motor just did not work at all, but I sure would like to know how to do this fix. Our main problem appeared to be rust. We did have a really quick response from HWH service by email from the service department at that time. BTW, the repair of the system was quick and only $180 at Alliance RV, an authorized repair service, in Wildwood, FL.

We are mechanical idiots!

Thanks, Judy Harris
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”