First Long Trip in Born Free Elsa

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bill Erhardt

First Long Trip in Born Free Elsa

Post by Bill Erhardt »

Howdy to the Born free gang from Bill Erhardt in Helena, Mt.

I was called to a wild land fire as a Communications Technition in Meeker, Co about 30 days ago. I loaded up my gear and had a safe trip via Palisades Dam in Idaho and Rock Springs, Wy. I stayed just 4 days to take down communications equipment and return to NIFC (National Interagency Fire Center) Boise, Id.

I was heading back home to Montana when I was re-assinged to the Klondike Fire in Agness, Oregon!!! So, I turned left on interstate I80 and drove to Winnemucca, Nv. Next morning I took 95 north then caught Oregon 140 west (what a beautiful drive through Oregon) finally 199 around the Rouge Rive Country to 101 then Gold Beach, Or to check in at the ICP (Incident Command Post). I was assigned as a ABRO (Air Base Radio Operator) at the Helicopter Base near Agness, Or.

I spent the next 17 days doing communications at the Helicopter Base and flight following for 5 Helicopters. I worked with fixed wing and helicpter Air Attacks that directed the helicopters where to do water/retardant drops.

Finally, I headed back to Montana via 101, 126 through Redman, Or, 197 to 84 Columbia Gorge, 395 to Interstate I90 and home to Helena, Mt. Whew !! 21 days on wild land fire and 5.5 days of driving my 2005 Born Free.

I really enjoyed sleeping on a nice bed instead on the hard ground in a tent!! Most important was I could stand up to put on my pants!! Some of the mornings were very cool in the 40 degree range and I just started up the engine and was toasty within a few minutes and it charged the battery.

My unit as a Roadmaster Rear Sway Bar and it really kept her stable. I am going to put the Roadmaster Front Sway Bar on next week before my next trip. The front stabilizer shock is also in consideration.

I put on a EEZTire TPMS system before leaving and it worked perfect.

I did discover several of the cabinet doors need new latches as some of them opened when a good bump was encountered. In particular the sliding cabinet next to the refrigerator (hold small items and slides out) came open a lot. So, I put an ink pen at an angle to keep it from sliding. Worked great but will make a nice wood wedge.

One other really nice thing for this 71 year young explorer is I took my mountain bicycle with me and that proved most valuable. Showers and Food unit were about a 1/2 mile from the helicopter base. I got some excellent exercise riding it twice a day for breakfast then shower/dinner.

All in all she performed excellent for the 2700 miles and 26 days. Next long trip is to Las Vegas for the IWCE show next March. I will take my motorcycle on the trailer to complete some bucket list items around the SW on two wheels..

Cheers everyone and happy/safe motoring in a life style we call "" Born Free ""
Attachments
GlacierParkSmall.jpg
GlacierParkSmall.jpg (89.28 KiB) Viewed 5051 times
Roger H

Re: First Long Trip in Born Free Elsa

Post by Roger H »

Thanks for the trip report and the photo Bill! Glad to hear you're enjoying your coach. Born Free is a GREAT traveling command post for someone who WORKS in a command post!!!

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I spent the month of August mainly in Washington and Oregon. It's hard to beat NW US in the summer (except for the fires in recent years). Bill, thanks for your service.

Here's a photo of a rest stop I stayed at overnight on my return through Idaho east of Lewiston on Hwy 12. I was the only person there.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
JeffatJacks

Post by JeffatJacks »

Bill Erhardt wrote:Howdy to the Born free gang from Bill Erhardt in Helena, Mt.

I did discover several of the cabinet doors need new latches as some of them opened when a good bump was encountered. In particular the sliding cabinet next to the refrigerator (hold small items and slides out) came open a lot. So, I put an ink pen at an angle to keep it from sliding. Worked great but will make a nice wood wedge.
Bill,

First, Really enjoyed reading your story and thank you for your fire service. We toured the smoke jumper base in McCall ID in August They were very busy this summer.

Second, some of your latches might not to be replaced. In case you haven’t seen them, there is an adjustment screw on each side of the cabinet part of the latch that will tighten up the holding power. Also, on the sliding drawer next the the fridge you can add a simple sliding door latch to the drawer that protrudes down into the floor of the cabinet. The previous owner of our coach had done this.

Let me know if you think a picture would help and I’ll send you one.

Enjoy the journey.

Jeff
2004 Born Free 26 RB
Towing a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
BobnGail

Post by BobnGail »

This was our solution to pantry slide and other cabinet doors bouncing open. The two panels under sofa particularly drove me crazy. These slide bolts came from local Ace Hardware and husband added the matching oak block.
Attachments
425490B9-E92A-4AC5-8521-F2404DDC4A80.jpeg
425490B9-E92A-4AC5-8521-F2404DDC4A80.jpeg (33.98 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
Bob n Gail
2005 26RB
Oxford MS
Bill Erhardt

Post by Bill Erhardt »

Thanks Everyone for the replies,

I am working on fixing the issues I mentioned thanks to your assistance.

Yes, the adjustments helped on two of the doors but I replace two that were worn out !!!

Yes, the two doors under the couch also opened a few times and I got the broken snaps replaced and all is well.

I sure enjoyed the trip on wild land fires with Elsa and look forward to a month or so trip to Las Vega next March to the IWCE convention and visiting friends in Nv, AZ, and NM. Plan on taking some side trips on the motorcycle for sure.. Woo Hoo !!

Cheers Bill
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Welcome! That's a pretty good break-in voyage. You mentioned my favorite drive, Hwy 140. Not too far off of Hwy 140 in the SW corner of Oregon you will find the Alvord Desert. I keep going back. https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... hp?id=3356
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”