How to secure water service panel?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Vlamgat

How to secure water service panel?

Post by Vlamgat »

When the hose/cableTV connections are made, our BF access panel has to remain unlocked. Besides the security issue, night time wind gusts cause mine to flap which adjacent to the slide out can make for a disturbed night. I have tried securing the inside lock to the hose using a small shock cord and a few other McGiver approaches but none of them are very effective requiring careful setup to be robust. I have not read that anyone else has faced this challenge or offered a better solution and wondered if I missed it or my problem/sensitivity is unique?

I realize that I can clip it up to the retaining clip that BF provided when its windy and do that from time to time. This leave the innards exposed and offers a temptation to the prankster community that I would prefer to avoid if possible.

Ideally the service door/flap should have an access port with a sliding cover through which the hose and the cable would run when the panel was locked. The cover would be rotated into place to block the port when not in use. This port would have to be cut into the door without ruining it because it probably is irreplaceable without a custom fabrication. Not something I am in a hurry to attempt! :D

2014 Triumph F550
Roger H

Re: How to secure water service panel?

Post by Roger H »

Your coach is several years newer than mine, so I don't know exactly how yours is equipped, but mine has a two-stage tang on the lock mechanism. It can be locked open about an inch and a half so the hose can exit the door, but the door is locked down and cannot be opened. I don't know if those are still available or not. I'll try to get you a photo.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

That makes so much sense but mine hs tone completely open or lies loose on top of the hose as it exits the cavity.

Thanks for the insight.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

My 2004 BFT was like Roger’s. You could lock it open with just enough room for the city
water hose and cable to fit through. The box contained water fill, city water hookup, cable tv and phone hookups, shower wand and hose with hot and cold water handles.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”