Wide Body Born Free Models

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bushed52

Wide Body Born Free Models

Post by bushed52 »

My wife and I owned a 32RT Born Free until last summer. We really liked the ceiling height of the wide body. Currently have an '02 Bed and Breakfast which we like but a some point in the future we would like to own another wide body. What models were available in a wide body besides the 32 footer??
Dennis and Deb Bush
Had 2006 32' RT Casual Elegance
Had 2002 Bed & Breakfast
Current 2004 26' Rear Bath
10 Grandkids inside 4 country miles
'98 Santana Sovereign Tandem Bike
Roger H

Re: Wide Body Born Free Models

Post by Roger H »

Hi Dennis!

I think that only the Kodiak chassis models like our 32s were wide bodies. I don't believe that any of the one-ton chassis coaches were over 8' wide.

It's been a long time since I had a conversation with Ed Newman about the Kodiak-based versions, but I think he said there were also maybe 28' or 30' Kodiak-based coaches as well. I think he said there were about 17 32' coaches built, and a few additional shorter ones. I think there's a member here with a shorter wide-body, but I don't remember who it was now.

I check every once in a while to see what's available used, and I've seen a half-dozen 32s come up for sale since I bought mine, but I don't believe I've ever seen one of the shorter wide bodies for sale.

Hopefully someone with more accurate info can help straighten me out?

Roger

On edit... so your post sent me searching, and it appears that maybe the later (2014- 2016) Ford F550 (and perhaps the Dodge 5500) chassis coaches may have also been wide bodies based on the photos in this ad:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2014-B ... 5004401047

And more... I found a thread on the "new for '08" 28' RSB wide body:

https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... php?p=8254

And apparently the 30' wide body was built starting in '04 on the E450 chassis, at least according to this article:

https://familyrvingmag.com/2004/10/01/b ... wide-body/
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I believe they made wide bodies on the E450 chassis.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Newer coaches built on the Ford 550 diesel chassis have the high ceiling and wider body.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
jjhepkin

Post by jjhepkin »

We have a model year 2009, which was actually made in 2008, and it is a wide bodied and higher roof model which was built on the chevy kodiak chassis.
according to the specification information we received when we purchased ours, the 28' was the smallest model featuring the wider bodied design. it is the rear side bed model.

i dont know if born free made any on the ford chassis; but, i believe chevy stopped making the larger kodiak chassis in 2009.

we love course and would highly recommend this model to anyone in the market.

good luck
john hepkin
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”