Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bornnorm

Re: Newbie

Post by bornnorm »

Sleeping.

We spent a lot of time with friends in Tuscon over the last two days. It was interesting to hear Ginny comment on the Born Free, particularly about sleeping. She finds our couch extremely comfortable, do as well.

The couch had been professionally redone by the previous owners. The only failing is there's a v shaped gap between the two sections. I cut a piece of foam to fill that space.

I used to wake too frequently during the night to use the bathroom. Now I usually sleep through the night. I attribute this mostly to our change in diet. We are heavily into eating fruits and vegetables and have cut our meet consumption dramatically.

Since we began RVing, our standard breakfast has been one egg, one slice of bacon, a piece of grain toast and a cup of coffee with half and half. We ate that virtually every day for 19 years. We have now dropped that to about 3 times a week, eating oatmeal and fruit the other mornings. Additionally we rarely have meat dinners, Ginny's been concocting all kinds of vegetarian dishes. Now this is not a religion we do still eat meat and when visiting eat anything however our capacity for food is less and were losing weight on this trip. Over our 19 years I've lost about 80 lbs, unbelievable to me as well since we don't intentionally diet, just more conscious about eating.

I admit to not knowing the cause of the change in my night time bathroom habits but I like them. Of course sleep is important and uninterrupted sleep is the best. We are regularly in bed by 9 PM and I wake at 5 AM, getting out about 5:30. As I say, life gets better on the road. (One Born Free negative is the Born Free does not have as much inside exercise space as our Scamp, at least I haven't found it yet.

We made the diet change because a very good friend wanted to eat heart healthy so we ate the same way in support of his change.

One never knows where little opportunities and changes lead.... all night sleep?????
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

North Ranch, Congress, AZ

North Ranch is another Escapee Park of the Rainbow variety located 50 miles Northwest of Phoenix, $22 a night. Today was a Pickleball day, 7 matches, nearly too much. It broke back memories because I learned to play here some dozen or so years ago.

Yesterday we drove up into the mountains to Yarnell and had lunch at The Ranch, an eclective sort of place, as well a restaurant that is older then me, in business for 78 years.

Whenever we get to the Southwest we always feel like we're re-living a past life.

The Born Free is feeling very comfortable, we're sliding into the Born Free life style, gradually improving the organization. Tomorrow it;s California.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Needles, CA - Price anomaly

In Needles just across the border from AZ, gas $4.34 in Needles, 2.38 in Needles
Born Free running well. We have yet to see another Born Free on the trip.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Refrigerator Light.

Our refrigerator doesn't have an inside light. Does anyone have a solution?
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Perhaps a motion sensing light such as this from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beams-Battery ... way&sr=8-4

Here's one at Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rite-Lite-W ... /202590263
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Tom,

Thank you that's a reasonable solution, and probably a long life solution..

Norm
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

For those of you following along, we are near Sacramento, CA. We will be leaving our Born Free for 5 days, flying home to CT for a funeral.

So far it seems to be working well. The latest bobble is the temperature gauge, it occasionally flutters, though when we crossed the Tehachapi loop and the temps climbed above normal it was rock solid. It made me think maybe the thermostat was misbehaving. Any thoughts?
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Back on the Road.

Flew from Sacramento to Connecticut and Back. Now on the road on the coast of Oregon, in Port Orford, our favorite coastal Oregon town, our 8th visit in Port Orford in our 19 years of travel. We haven't just passed thru this town but have stayed for extended periods. It's far enough away to feel you're free of the world. Interestingly in all our previous visits there was no where to purchase a pizza, no Port Orford House of Pizza.

We have been driving coastal Route 101, just wonderful driving through the Redwoods and by Oregon's ocean side cliffs. The coast road has some dramatic hills and curves, getting near the crest of after a long climb we came upon snow on the road, apparently we were high enough (cold enough for it to snow). We had not expected snow. The roads are lightly traveled at this time of the year, though not traveled enough to melt the early morning snow.

We continue to appreciate the Born Free. Making little additions to make life easier. WE had rain at the stop before Port Orford and had to put our raincoats on to disconnect. We have now added two Command hooks to the end wall of the shower to allow us to dry our raincoats. As well we've added a command hook above either side of the doorway to hang our caps.

In our previous motorhome on the flat surface in front of the passenger's seat I built a desk with a slide out drawer and a slide out top. That would be a good addition for a wasted space volume while allowing storage of envelopes, stamps, .... things needed for full time travel. The top surface provides a good surface for our laptops, we both have Chromebooks, partially because they have no moving parts, other than keys, and after 6 years seem to be virus immune.

We're carrying a 1K Honda Generator. Thinking seriously of adding a 1k Inverter and 2 Lithiums batteries as part of our next upgrade.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Lithium Battery - 50 amp-hr on sale

Amazon is having a sale. I suspect two of these would be adequate for our rig however I wouldn't be surprised if the larger sizes were on sale as well. One 50 amp-hr battery only weighs 14 lbs.

We've decided to stay another two days in Port Orford. Ginny's writing that they may need to move the wedding here for me to be in attendance.

Love is funny, it some times makes you blind. I feel so comfortable in Port Orford even though we are spending a rainy day here.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Port Orford, Day 6.

The main coastal route is route 101. Today we drove from route 101 following roads along rivers east into the mountains, really an isolated, beautiful drive. There are Forest Service camp grounds on these roads. Also in Port Orford itself there is a camping area overlooking the Harbor where you can park for $10 a night. If you come here there are two excellent places to eat, The Crazy Norwegian and TJs.

We had planned to spend 1 night in Port Orford but have stayed 6 nights It's a joke at the campground office, here comes Ginny to pay for another night. We're off in the morning, onto Seattle for the first of the three weddings.

Our campground is Cape Blanco RV located on 100 in Port Orford. It is full service with great wi-fi. Less than $20 q night for Passport members at this time of the year. About 5 miles south of town is Cape Blanco State Park, $24. It is beautifully located on the western most point in the lower 48. We've stayed here as well, an absolutely beautiful location, the only drawback is no dump station.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

bornnorm wrote:Lithium Battery - 50 amp-hr on sale
Amazon is having a sale. I suspect two of these would be adequate for our rig however I wouldn't be surprised if the larger sizes were on sale as well. One 50 amp-hr battery only weighs 14 lbs.
I couldn't find anything on Amazon. Can you provide a link?
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Tom,
Here's the link to the battery: https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Lithium-I ... 30MRDAG3NN

I'm a big AMazon purchaser, particularly because I buy for our RV park and specifically our WiFi system.

Since I've been looking at Lithium batteries and haven't bought they may have offered me a special price of $450. I've noticed direct deals on occasion from Amazon. I guess it pays to shop. They are paying attention.

Ginny told me about something that happened to her when a teenager, a funny story about a boy friend bringing her perfume, actually Arpege. The story revolved around "Promise her anything but give her Arpege. Literally within minutes I was getting ads for Arpege. Similarly when we were looking for a used Scion xB for a tow vehicle, we received ads for months, including after we bought one. It's amazing how well and quickly we are watched.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Tom,

In the last few minutes I've received 3 ds for the battery.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Wandering.

I know this thread is wandering, as I am. We reached Washington, 100 miles from Seattle. Spending two days here so we could catch the run up to the NCAA Women's Final Four. We are big UConn Husky fans. So far we've put about 6,000 miles on our Born Free.

Today I added a quick disconnect to my water input, now to figure out how to close that door.

Our experience with an old Born Free, 26 years old as I write this, is very good. Since we've purchased the Born Free we've only had two age related issues, both easy to fix.

On an aside, we're loving our 2006 Scion xB tow car. Really fun to drive, great having a stick shift vehicle , it handles well.

After a week at the wedding it looks like Washington's Olympic peninsula is next.

Norm
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Lake Pleasant, Bothell, WA

We're staying at Lake Pleasant RV In Bothell Washington, I believe the closest RV park to Seattle. This is a really nice RV park around two small ponds, a very nice park if you need to be in the area.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”