Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tomzleapin

Re: Newbie

Post by tomzleapin »

bornnorm wrote:Our biggest issue is creating an end table and eating table solution different from the standard Born Free solution.
Check out the Lagun Table System. I have a cheap Chinese knockoff version that I paid $69 and works well.
The real version is made in Sweden.
Here's one available from RVupgrades: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Lagun-Sw ... /30605.htm

Image Image
I also plan to add a plastic pipe with end caps under the body for sewer hoses.
I replaced mine with a section of 5" square vinyl fence post. Another section of vinyl gutter acts as a tray.

Image Image

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

randallrae wrote:Is your entry door out the back or on the side?
We have a side door 21.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Tom.
We use the same square fence posts for our sewer hoses. We have two on our Scamp. They're nice because the plastic connectors fit well.

Like the table idea.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Day 8, made it to Florida with virtually no functional problems. Each day at the end of our drive I would test and/or repair a system. Things not working are : Fridge on gas not working when driving, Propane heater fan not activating, broken latches on some cabinets and drawers.

I've looked for these edge latches. I anyone knows a source please let me know.

Our first full day back I used 30 Second Off on the roof to clean off the mold. Than we washed the entire unit in preparation for waxing. Also washed the carpet and walls, particularly around the door.

Installed an Oxygenator shower spray, removed clothes hanging pipe from shower. Basically we don't hang clothes in the shower or even in a closet. After 18 years we've excepted the wrinkled look. Started removing the florescent lights replacing them with LED lamps.

Began taking out the converter, the existing one works but hums.

If you know where to get the latches.....
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-19522 ... re+carrier I purchased one of these carriers it works well and keeps you from having to lift the tires.
2012 25' rb
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Thanks for the spare tire carrier information.

I'm clicking off my list of 30 some items to repair.

Apparently the previous owners blew out a tire that took out the lines to the air bags and I suspect something that switches between the converter and House batteries. The house batteries were not charged when we bought the unit and their water levels were low, as can happen in today's fake sealed batteries, batteries with hidden fill holes. WE took off the label and top cover to find capped very small holes for adding water. We did and the battery charged. Unfortunately when the Ac is disconnected there is no automatic switching to the house batteries. There are still a couple of hanging wires and presently tracing them out.

I did find the cabinet latches , part number H227, about 6 to replace.
The cabinet near the driver's door where I store tools, cords and hoses has been split in half horizontally. Active power cord and water hoses stored on top. Tools and spare cords and hoses stored on bottom.

I added a 32x18x14 plastic bumper box to the rear bumper. It is turquoise, matching our stripes. It will hold our 3 wooden leveling blocks ( Jacks haven't been tried but I believe they will need some work), compressor, and Bottle Jack.

Working to replace all exterior plastic pieces. Purchased stainless exterior cabinet latches and installed all new LED exterior lamp fixtures.

Washed the roof with 30 Second Off using a hand sprayer. 30 Second really works. While up there inspected for potential leaks found none. Found a crack in the AC cover and sealed it with Eternabond tape.

After washing the roof Ginny 'Dawn' washed the exterior. Now waxing the outside.

Washed the rug and walls removing grime in use areas, like wall carpet around the door area. using Folex spot remover available at Amazon. Again good stuff.

Installed two fans in the rear of the refrigerator, seems to improve the efficiency of operation, at least it does in our little trailer.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Bill thanks for the information. It turns out that the previous owners totally redid the jack knife couch replacing it with an extra thick high density foam. Ginny and I have slept well on it.

I replaced 6 cabinet latches. For those having a tough time finding the latches, here's the source I found. RV and Auto Parts, Ramona, CA. Part number H227 by RV Designer, priced less than $3. They come with plastic catches that seem to work more smoothly than the metal.

for a tow vehicle, we have pretty much decided on a Honda HRV with a manual transmission allowing flat towing. Weight under 3000 lbs

I've decided to replace the converter with something that doesn't hum, probably a 35 amp more modern unit.

I have shelved one outside storage compartment . Next I'll tackle shelving the bathroom closet.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Our Hot Water heater was gas only. Bought a Camco electric conversion kit and installed it today. Excellent instructions, cost $79.50.

The isolation relays for the batteries are not working, I believe because the blowout destroyed some wires but possibly just 25 year olditis. I decided to bypass them via a selector switch that selects between the battery outputs. It seems to work well. Cost $20.

Tomorrow I plan to take a shower, first in the Born Free, after installing a shower curtain. Also start on shelving the Bathroom closet and installing the stainless compartment latches.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
Alpenliter

Post by Alpenliter »

Norm, as a new Born Free owner, I've been enjoying your posts; please keep them coming, very informative!
Jim Schrankel
2002 24RSB
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Alpenliter, I see you are in Chimacum. We plan to be at the Chimacum Escapee park in late March/early April, our grandson is getting married in Seattle on April 6th. I've had a slow time this past week, both of our sons were here for Thanksgiving week providing a little break from the BF. also Pickleball started in our park, a nice weekly break for us, actually I'd be happy to play everyday.

Last week I took apart the blower to find a lot of mice were living in the blower, absolutely full of stuff. I would have happily paid someone else to clean it out, but did it anyway. I have finished shelving the bathroom closet, now onto the over the cab space. (There are no signs of mice at this time in the BF, I guess they were Maine mice.)

Today's project is installing two sewer hose pipes in the rear bumper area and strengthening the rear bumper box I installed last week, unfortunately the original result was a little too floppy,but looked nice.

The biggest 'thought' project is the breakfast table. We've had a lot of inputs on this project. The rig came with two tables, a 4 person and a 2 person tables.

I like projects and this has been fun.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Shelving Pictures.

Apparently my pictures did not appear due to size restrictions. I'll have to take pictures with a different resolution and will.

Today I finished off the rear bumper box and two fence posts that each contain a 15 foot sewer hose.

Yesterday I replaced the TV booster with a spare module my son had, talk about tight fits. As well I cleaned the inside of the propane furnace. The previous owner had mice problems and there was a fair amount of fiberglass insulation in the heating area and blower. I was able to get most of it out using a coat hanger followed by a few hours of running the rest came out the air vents.

Getting mentally ready for tackling the table.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

I surrender to picture addition to posts. I've posted for decades on another web site and have never had a problem posting a picture. Apparently every picture has too many pixels even at the camera's minimum setting.

We have added two square white plastic posts under the bumper. Each holds a 14-15 foot sewer house. On top of the rear bumper on the right side we've added a turquoise 32x18x18" or so Bumper Box.

The plan for the center of the rear bumper is the spare tire.

We spent some time deciding on the table for two. Our plan is an approximately 30 inch square table with rounded corners. During meals it will be between the couch and the passenger chair, other times it will be behind the passenger chair.

Between the navigators chair and the passengers chair their will be a 26 foot tower that will have a collapsible bracket as shown in the following link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9 ... UTF8&psc=1

There will be a similar structure on the couch side. When both arms are raised, the table top will slide over the arms and lock in place.

Additionally there will be a small version of the table that could lock on one arm and serve as a writing table.

When I figure out pictures I'll show them, particularly if it works.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

bornnorm wrote:Between the navigators chair and the passengers chair their will be a 26 foot tower that will have a collapsible bracket as shown in the following link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9 ... UTF8&psc=1
I can't quite grasp what you are trying to say. Are the chairs mentioned the front driver and passenger seats? And what is the 26 foot tower?

If you have a Windows computer, you can use Paint to resize your photos. Once they are the appropriate size you can attach them to your message.

Attached is a photo of the brackets you mention.
Attachments
Brackets
Brackets
Bracket.jpg (39.07 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
perleys

Post by perleys »

Bill has a post on how to do photos but I am not sure where it is. I have recently taken photos and act like I am going to email (to myself) and the program would give me a choice to make the photos small. Then the attachments are reduced in size which has helped me. I am enjoying you posts as a new owner, Starts all kinds of thought processes for me! Are you all going to try to come to the Rally in the Amanas in Iowa. Would be a great place to connect with other owners.
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

We are not going to the May Rally in Iowa. This March we leave Florida for our Grandson's wedding on April 6th in Seattle followed by a second family wedding in California in August. As a result we'll stay in the west coming back to Florida in October.Normally we head to Newfoundland in May returning in July. Newfoundland is our favorite place in North America, we've been 10 times.

I am not a Microsoft user. For the last 5 years we've used a Chromebook, virtually no moving parts, no viruses, no traditional virus protection, long battery life and low cost.

As to pictures I'll take them more seriously. I spent the last 8 years on FRV.com where this restriction does not exist but I'll deal with it.

26 foot...yikes how about 26 inches, each located on the aisle corner of the front two chairs.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”