Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bornnorm

Re: Newbie

Post by bornnorm »

I just found a program that resizes photos easily however it seems that the requirement for 720 pixels wide by 2160 pixels high is backwards. I would find my typical picture is wider than high.

Just a thought.

Norm
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Toad Modified.

This morning I mounted the tow brackets to the Scion. Almost the final major step before we are ready to go. Just the fuel pump to go.

I recall that on my previous motorhome the pick off point for the generator was higher in the tnak than the pick off point for the engine. I assume they were separate fuel pumps. Does any one know if there are two separate fuel pumps? Are there two ports for the fuel pumps on the tank?

Thank you.

Norm
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Now in our 19th year of retirement and travel.
Ginny and I were talking about the benefits of our traveling retirement. Of course we've been all over, seen wonderful places at a truly relaxing pace, but the real benefits are the unplanned for results.

We were 58 when we bought our first RV, and began the great adventure. We started with a reminder of the shortness of life when my college roommate died. We happened upon a Florida State Park, Bahia Honda and instantly decided we'd retire,. I said to Ginny, "when we get home we'll buy an RV and hit the Road". She said "Ok". We bought an RV and to travel for 3 years. The 3 years turned into 19 and hopefully another 10.

It turns out to produce marvelous results. Suddenly your life and your mind are unburdened by others and their lives. You Escape, in a measure transported to an inner space, the inner space of two and a rig.

Though previous to RVing we had very good, successful lives and a strong relationship, everything became stronger. I fondly say it was like becoming 16, when the focus was each other.

A wonder for us is that we've become healthier, losing significant amounts of weight, and most miraculously gradually having problems slip away.

Just feeling happy on a rainy day in Florida. No Born Free work today.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Just bought a new Converter. Simply tired of the hum from the old one and the fact it occasionally over heats and cuts outs. I'm sure there is a fan in there however it has not run in the last 10 weeks.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
whemme

Post by whemme »

Norm, the reason for the fuel pickoff for your generator to be higher in your fuel tank is so when and if you run your generator to the point it quits due lack of fuel, there still will be enough fuel left in the bottom of the tank to start and run your chassis engine and be able to drive the coach to refill the tank. The generator fuel pickoff is located at approximately the 25% remaining fuel level of the tank.

There are separate fuel pumps. The one for the chassis engine is located inside your fuel tank and the fuel pump for your generator is located with the generator itself.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I knew that the generator will not crank if there is less than a quarter tank of gasoline remaining and I knew why. I had never heard the tetm “pickoff point” so I learned something, but I do have to ask myself: Did I really need to know this? The answer must be that all knowledge is valuable although we could ask as others often do, what about algebra.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
whemme

Post by whemme »

Dallas, actually your generator would crank, it just would not start without fuel.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Received the converter today. A nice up grade from what I had. !0 AC breakers counting the main and 11 DC fuse positions. I have disconnected all the wires from the old one.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

WFCO WF8955PECB Black 55 Amps Power Center Converter Charger - $145 - AMazon

Just completed the install and testing of our replacement Converter. It took about 8 hours. Actually very straight forward, just a lot of wires to move.

It's an improvement over what I believe was a 26 year old converter, ac distribution and DC distribution.

First it's quiet, so far no hum where the original hummed continuously.

Second it's lighter, way lighter due to the use of plastic and modern electronics.

Third it produces 55 amps of 12 volt power, has locations for a main breaker plus 9 additional breakers (the original was a main breaker and 5 additional breakers resulting in double wires on all breakers).

Fourth the DC Distribution panel has 11 fused circuits versus 9 on the original. Each DC distribution point displays a red LED on fuse on Fuse Failure.

Fifth it fit in the same hole as the original.

Getting near the end of our preparation.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Amazon Purchases.

I counted 54 purchases from Amazon. The most expensive was the converter mentioned in the previous post.

In addition we made about 4 small purchases from e-trailer.

We began by buying the 1993 Born Free 21. Immediately put in in the garage for a checkup and a flushing plus a new battery, spending about $350. From there we were off for 6 tires, we kept the best of the old tires and purchased a new rim to create a spare.

From there it was off to Walmarts to get bedding and an electric blanket. The BF came with most normal household items.

Over the last 3 months we purchased and installed the 54 items from Amazon.

Most recently we purchased our tow vehicle, a 2006 Scion xB, jokingly called by many a Bread Box. We love it and so do most people who have seen it. We have added tow brackets to the front, pressure sensors to the tires and are ready to roll.

As we travel cross country over the next 8 months we'll post notes on our travels and particularly the Born Free.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

For the Curious
The following is the cost of Amazon Purchases and a list of Purchases.

Item QTY $
Breakers 2 30
Phone Charging 3 30
Converter 1 145
Tow Straps 2 10
Bag Dispenser 1 15
Valve Extension 2 10
Scion Headlights 2 90
Trailer Conn 1 6
Scion Seatbelt 2 9
Tow Bar 1 63
Scion Arm Rest 1 50
Mud Flaps 2 68
Gold Striping 1 7
TPMS Sensors 1 40
Water Check Valve 1 20
Gold Striping 2 18
Turquoise Striping 1 26
Turquoise Striping 1 26
Running Lights 12 32
Table SLides 2 23
Thermometer 1 11
Table Brackets 2 22
AC Cover Plate 1 11
Drawer Org 1 21
Trailer Light 1 7
12 Volt Outlet 1 7
Bat. Switch & Conn 1 29
Door Holder 1 6
Cabinet Holder 10 30
Anti Slip Tape 1 7
Ovhd LED Fixtures 1 14
Roof Tape 1 29
Air tube conn 1 15
Bathroom SInk 1 38
Fans 2 16
Ice Bin 1 8
Ice cube trays 2 10
Breakers 1 15
Ovhd LED Fixtures 5 45
Cabinet Keys 2 15
AC Connector 1 11
Porch Light 2 17
Wax 1 19
Rug Cleaner 1 11
Shower Spray 1 32
TOTAL $1164
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

The Little Things.

We're doing the little things on the Born Free today because we're mainly preparing for the Super Bowl. Normally we have Prime Rib on Super Bowl however for about a month we've been on a life style change, focusing on eating more plant based meals. Change is fun,

Installed a double phone charger and two cell phone mounts, the magnetic variety that mount on a air vent.

Today I washed the front and decided that the fake eye windows need repainting. It seems they have seen a lot of branch scratching.

I took apart, with great effort the stepped ball mount that came with the trailer to paint it and to attach the ball on the other side of the stepped mount. This will result in the tow bar being flat within a half inch.

Also worked at reaching the 80% point on clothing. We don't worry too much about stuff we've forgot, Ginny says we drive by 100s of Walmarts.

We are Pickleball players and in the last two years have taught over 50 people in our park to play. We always carry our rackets with us because places to play are everywhere. It's a great sport for RVers because the equipment doesn't take up much space and is inexpensive.

We are now planning to leave February 19 or 20. We have to reach the Seattle area by April 2nd. That give us about 40 days to get there allowing time for weather. Our plan is to basically follow the track of I-10 though we do avoid Interstates. We generally follow Route 90 along the Tex/Mex border and practically always deviate to Rusty's RV park in Rodeo, NM. This provides the opportunity to redo the Chiricahua Mountains. We like both the NM and AZ sides. From there we head to the West Coast, pretty much following the coast roads of CA, OR and WA. We have a favorite cathedral like Redwoods trail to hike.

Can't wait to go.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Weighing our Born Free.

This post has two purposes. One to show that it's possible to estimate Born Free weight. Second to expose my thinking to critical judgement by others. I admit the Born Free is not fully loaded but I would say nearly so. The water tank is half full and the grey and black tanks empty. In all three cases the way we travel. I did not have the our 2500 lb tow vehicle attached but expect it will add not more than a 100 lbs to the rear.

I estimated the weight of our Born Free yesterday. I parked the Born Free on 2 x 8s measured the area of the tire patch, corrected for the tread pattern and multiplied the corrected area by the tire's air pressure.

The front tires have an air pressure of 55 psi and the rear tires are set to 60 psi. (Is this normal for your BF 21?) The area correction factor is 0.67. On the fronts the length of the tire patch is 6 3/4 inches, on the rear the length is 6 5/8. The width of the tire patch is 6 inches the tires are LT225/75R16 E. At 55 pounds they are rated for 2060 pounds, at 60 psi as dual tires they are rated for individually at 1990 or 3880 for a pair. As a result the front axle can support 4120 pounds at 55 PSI and the rear axle can support 7960 pounds at 60 psi.

My calculations based upon patch area and tire pressure place the front axle load at about 2500 pounds and the rear axle load at 5400 pounds. Both estimated axle weights are significantly less than the axle design loads of 5000 front and 8000 rear.

As well tires at the psi and calculated weights are at about 60%F/68%R of tire capacity. Increasing the fronts to 60 psi and the rears to 65 psi improves these numbers to 57%F/63%R.

My method of measuring the tire patch is to slide a piece of paper between the tire and 2x8 until I can not push it forward on both the front and rear edges of a tire and measure the separation of the pieces of paper. Similarly on the sides of the tire to get the width. The correction factor is the percentage of the tire that touches the 2x8, a visual estimate.

Sometime in our travels I'll get an actual scale weight and post the results. 3914
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

https://pilotflyingj.com/stores/1128/ This store has a scale that you can use to weigh your BF . On these scales you pay like $10 for the first weigh and then like $2 for each additional weigh . These scales are set up to weigh each axle giving you front, rear, and total. If you desire you can position your BF to weigh just one side .
2012 25' rb
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Thank you Randall, I'll give it a try somewhere in our travels.

I also received a post on a suggested camping place near Deming, NM at Rockhound SP. Thank you.

As well we're looking for a spot near Camarillo, CA around Aug. 28th for a couple of days.. A nephew is getting married there. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”