2003 26RSB - generator fuel hose degraded and needs replacin

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bannister2014

2003 26RSB - generator fuel hose degraded and needs replacin

Post by Bannister2014 »

Hello to all!

The fuel hose from the fuel tank to the genset has deteriorated to the point where it has multiple leaks and must be replaced.

Does anyone know if there's an "easy" way to reach the top of the tank in order to remove the hose from the pickup?

Unfortunately, my gas tank is "FULL", so dropping it is out of the question at present.

I can feel the hose laying on top of the tank, but the clearance just isn't there to reach the point where it attaches to the pickup.

Does anyone know if it's possible to reach the connection by lowering the tank partially? Is there a "secret" cover in the coach that allows access to the top of the tank?

Thanks!

Bannister2014
Bannister2014
2003 26RSB Casual Elegance
2008 Smart cabrio TOAD
tomzleapin

Re: 2003 26RSB - generator fuel hose degraded and needs repl

Post by tomzleapin »

There's no easy access. When I had to replace my fuel pump I was able to drop down the passenger side of the tank. I supported the passenger side with a jack then loosened the bolts on the driver side being careful not to remove them. I then removed the bolts on the passenger side and lowered that side of the tank.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Bannister2014

Post by Bannister2014 »

Thanks, Tom.

Were you able to reach the top of the tank with clearance to remove the pump without jacking up the coach? Do you recall where the fitting for the genset line was in relation to the pump connections?

By the way, we also tow a Smart - 2008 cabrio.

Bannister2014
Bannister2014
2008 Smart cabrio TOAD
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

When I did this I was in a Walmart parking lot in Mitchell, SD. I would suggest driving up on some blocks to gain some height. I don't recall where the line for the generator is tied in. I think there's a tee in the return fuel line.

Right now I'm near the small town of Jacksonville, GA camped at Horse Creek hunt camp. I'm making my way to Florida and could have stopped by and lent a hand if I had known a few days earlier.

I purchased my coach from a fellow in Gainesville, GA in 2010. Not too far from Cumming.

Good luck.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
Bannister2014

Post by Bannister2014 »

Talk about a small world...we used to live in Iowa and our son, who lives in Cumming, found our BF for us in Cumming.

OK, so do you recall how long the strap bolts are? I can get my hand / arm on top of the tank as it is and am thinking I can just partially lower the tank, either by loosening the existing bolts or by replacing them on one side with longer bolts, and thereby reach the gen hose fitting without dropping the tank all the way. I'd put floor jacks on both ends of the tank for support while I am removing the old and reattaching the new hose.

Do you think that would work? I really hate the idea of siphoning out 50+gallons of gas.

Have a safe trip!

Bannister2014
Bannister2014
2008 Smart cabrio TOAD
Bannister2014

Post by Bannister2014 »

Sounds like we bought our BFs in the same year - 2010.

We flew to Atlanta and our seller (son of the owner who just moved to the Villages) picked us up at the MARTA and took us to the coach.

We liked it, bought it and started driving it home in the August heat, only to learn that neither the generator nor cab A/C worked. That was a hot 1000-mile drive. :twisted:

Turns out, he'd replaced the voltage regulator on the genset but failed to adjust the voltage output (easy fix) and the A/C was low on freon. After a recharge, all has been well ever since.

We've put 40k on it since 2010 and have enjoyed our little house on wheels. Adding the Smart Cabrio as a TOAD was a great thing to do - very convenient, easy to hook up and unhook and gets a lot of looks when on the road. I'm sure you get the same :D

Bannister2014
Bannister2014
2008 Smart cabrio TOAD
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I just took a look at my tank. I have three struts across the bottom of the tank. There are no bolts, but there are studs coming down from the frame with nuts. Three on each side. Support the passenger side of the tank with a jack. Loosen the nuts on the driver side and remove the nuts on the passenger side. You should then be able to lower the passenger side enough to get to the top of the tank.

When I first starting looking for a motorhome I had never heard of Born Free. I needed one that would fit through my 10ft high garage door and Born Free was the only one I found at the time. I found it on RVOnline.com. I talked with the owner and it sounded good. Flew to Atlanta and the owner picked me up. There were a couple of minor issues but all the major things checked out. I drove it home with no issues. It had 12k miles when I purchased it. I have almost 100k now. The fuel pump has been the only major problem. It was the first and only motorhome I looked at.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

Be careful lowering the tank ...I understand that the connections on top are not long enough to completely lower the tank without disconnecting them.
2012 25' rb
Bannister2014

Post by Bannister2014 »

My tank is held by 3 steel straps that are bolted from the bottom - no studs.
I think I'll remove a center bolt to see how long it is and go from there. :roll:

Thanks for all the tips!

Bannister2014
Bannister2014
2008 Smart cabrio TOAD
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

randallrae wrote:Be careful lowering the tank ...I understand that the connections on top are not long enough to completely lower the tank without disconnecting them.
This is true. There should be no problem lowering one side. By lowering just the passenger side, you don't need to disconnect the filler and vent tube.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
Bannister2014

Post by Bannister2014 »

Well, my excursion to the land of lowering the fuel tank led me to make an appointment at Apalachee RV in Auburn, GA.
My 26RSB is comfortably resting there, waiting for a new hose, fuel pump and filter.

The risks of dropping the tank on my pad outweighed the money to be saved.

Thanks for all the advice. :mrgreen:
Bannister2014
2008 Smart cabrio TOAD

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”