Replacing running lights on 2002 26' Rear bed.....

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mike&linda

Re: Replacing running lights on 2002 26' Rear bed.....

Post by mike&linda »

:D Since the Born free is a fiberglass design all light circuits require a two wire lighting fixture. On an aluminum motor homes the body provides the second path for the circuit (12 -), the wire provides the (12 +) Hope this helps to clear up your question. :D fiberglass is an insulator and aluminum is a conductor
1990 26' RSB Diesel
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

bcope01 wrote:
Fourwinds wrote:
jlef123 wrote:Two things I did not like about that video showing how to replace a marker light. He used Eterna Bond Tape and silicone sealer to mount the new light. Both products are extremely hard to remove if he should have any future problems with the light. I have always used the putty tape for mounting stuff. It is pliable and molds to the surface and never hardens. Also easy to remove if that becomes necessary. If you want to use a sealer there are lots of choices that are as good as silicone and a lot easier to get off.
My problem so far is my inability of finding the plastic running light covers. And new lights all come with two wire LED lights, and this old BF, has a single wire to a single bulb.

But I shall make note of your recommendation and experience with the sealer. I'm unfamiliar with "putty tape". Have no idea what that is. Do you still agree with using "something" to stick over the inside portion to help prevent moisture from entering?

Thanks. Jess
Your statement that you have only a single wire to a bulb makes no sense to me, unless the fixture itself is grounded somehow. Electricity has to pass through the bulb filament, and that can’t occur with a single wire.

Well only one wire is attached to the bulb! ???? for me also. But I have NO knowledge - - not really - - re: electricity and wiring. A neighbor who does, told me it puzzles him! So....???? I'm stumped. There is an RV repair shop I've never tried, that is recommended. I may ask if they would look at it and give me some idea OR can they find covers or replacement units that will work. VERY confused and puzzled and yep....frustrated. But I'm working on lessening my frustration/worry "center" with my wife's help! :)

I do appreciate the response from you all. No matter what you write. My father was killed 10 days before I was born....no male in the family EVER took any interest in giving me some male/friend/training in such things. I've had to learn the limited amount I now possess, by asking ????, reading, and observing all my life. And electricity is one area I ...well...."NEVER GOT!" :) :)

J.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
2002 Born Free, 26 ft rsb
whemme

Post by whemme »

Some lamps only have a single center terminal such as shown in the photo below.

The single wire lead is connected to the center terminal at the bottom of the lamp via the metal lamp holder. The return or ground connection to the lamp is via the metal frame of the lamp holder which is most likely riveted to the metal frame of the clearance light assembly itself. There will be a 2nd ground lead connected most likely to the back side of the metal frame to complete the two connections needed to power the lamp.

An example of this type of lamp socket is shown below.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 11.37.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 11.37.21 PM.png (36.57 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

whemme wrote:Some lamps only have a single center terminal such as shown in the photo below.

The single wire lead is connected to the center terminal at the bottom of the lamp via the metal lamp holder. The return or ground connection to the lamp is via the metal frame of the lamp holder which is most likely riveted to the metal frame of the clearance light assembly itself. There will be a 2nd ground lead connected most likely to the back side of the metal frame to complete the two connections needed to power the lamp.

An example of this type of lamp socket is shown below.
Still a 2-wire system Bill, the wire provides the power and the base provide the ground. Electricity will not pass across the filament without power to one side and the other side to ground.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Post by whemme »

There will be a 2nd ground lead connected most likely to the back side of the metal frame to complete the two connections needed to power the lamp.
Bill, I think that is what I said.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

WELL, again I have to say a big THANK YOU for this explanation. I've printed all this off. I can't physically climb up there, and have no personal "knowledge and understanding" of all the details you guys are sharing; but perhaps I can find someone who WILL and DOES and can do "something" to get the two lights working with covers that fit.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
2002 Born Free, 26 ft rsb

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”