Replacing running lights on 2002 26' Rear bed.....

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Fourwinds

Replacing running lights on 2002 26' Rear bed.....

Post by Fourwinds »

Don't laugh. We've not died. It's the real me typing this. Long time no-RVing activity....lots of issues. Now I have a broken red and one broken amber running light. All new replacements I can find are wired with two wires (Black & White). Our RV has only a single (1) line to a single bulb.

Are there any Born Free replacement lights or light covers? Or are there any replacements that can be fitted to work with a single line?

Anybody have ANY solution to my problem?

While I'm at it, I might as well include needing the hinges on the cupboard doors. They do NOT last very long! Remember this is a 2002 model. Thank you IF anyone can give any help.

Thank you. Meanwhile may you be blessed with PAGL : Peace, Assurance, Gratitude, and Love.
Sincerely Jess & Bonnie Dixon, Bakersfield, CA. JDixon1@bak.rr.com
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
2002 Born Free, 26 ft rsb
Roger H

Re: Replacing running lights on 2002 26' Rear bed.....

Post by Roger H »

If the bulbs still work, and it's just the amber or red lens cover you need, you should be able to find them online... and likely from multiple sources. RV dealers may have them, as will large truck stops. It's been a long time since I sold my '01 23RK, but it seems like it had Bargman clearance lights... I could be wrong though. Do you know what brand clearance lights Born Free used on your '02?
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

Roger H wrote:If the bulbs still work, and it's just the amber or red lens cover you need, you should be able to find them online... and likely from multiple sources. RV dealers may have them, as will large truck stops. It's been a long time since I sold my '01 23RK, but it seems like it had Bargman clearance lights... I could be wrong though. Do you know what brand clearance lights Born Free used on your '02?

I do not know the name of the lights on the RV. I'm at a loss in trying to replace them all with current LED lights. But the newer lights, even "Partsam oval oblong" have two wires.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Fourwinds wrote:
Roger H wrote:If the bulbs still work, and it's just the amber or red lens cover you need, you should be able to find them online... and likely from multiple sources. RV dealers may have them, as will large truck stops. It's been a long time since I sold my '01 23RK, but it seems like it had Bargman clearance lights... I could be wrong though. Do you know what brand clearance lights Born Free used on your '02?

I do not know the name of the lights on the RV. I'm at a loss in trying to replace them all with current LED lights. But the newer lights, even "Partsam oval oblong" have two wires.
Yes, LEDs have electronics in them that make them work, and require that the polarity is correct, whereas old bulbs just want juice and don't really care which side is 'hot". Rather than replacing the entire interior fixtures in my 19' B-van I bought LED bulbs and found that about half of the fixtures were wired "backwards" requiring an R&R and reversal of wiring to them.

I'm not sure that the work necessary to pull new wiring to replace the clearance lamp fixtures is worth the effort to convert them to LEDs. That's why I asked whether they're Bargman. If it's just the lenses that are broken or missing, replacements are generally pretty easy to find. Perhaps someone here has replaced them with LEDs and knows something I don't about them.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jess,

There is a topic in the Techical Library section on our forum that has a source for replacement cabinet door hinges. Click on this link to go to that topic: https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... =18&t=6193
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

whemme wrote:Jess,

There is a topic in the Techical Library section on our forum that has a source for replacement cabinet door hinges. Click on this link to go to that topic: https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... =18&t=6193

Oh thank you Bill, so much. I've ordered some already. And printed off this company. Great info. Do you have a different plane? Looks good. GOD bless. Old Jess.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
whemme

Post by whemme »

Yes, may partner and I sold the Beech S35 Bonanza about 1-1/2 years ago since he was moving to South Dakota. So I then joined a flying club that has a 1979 Piper Dakota that you see in my signature. I took me awhile to get used to the loss of 30 knots of airspeed!
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

whemme wrote:Yes, may partner and I sold the Beech S35 Bonanza about 1-1/2 years ago since he was moving to South Dakota. So I then joined a flying club that has a 1979 Piper Dakota that you see in my signature. I took me awhile to get used to the loss of 30 knots of airspeed!
At least you can fly still. A good friend of mine used to sell Bonanza's in his company in Burbank, CA. He owned jets, helicoptors, etc. all which he was licensed to fly. Retired now in Chino Valley, AZ.

I often wondered about your flying time and experiences each time I saw the photo you posted here.

It is good to hear from you and I'm happy for you, still enjoy the Blue Skies! :)
J.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

2012 25' rb
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Two things I did not like about that video showing how to replace a marker light. He used Eterna Bond Tape and silicone sealer to mount the new light. Both products are extremely hard to remove if he should have any future problems with the light. I have always used the putty tape for mounting stuff. It is pliable and molds to the surface and never hardens. Also easy to remove if that becomes necessary. If you want to use a sealer there are lots of choices that are as good as silicone and a lot easier to get off.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

jlef123 wrote:Two things I did not like about that video showing how to replace a marker light. He used Eterna Bond Tape and silicone sealer to mount the new light. Both products are extremely hard to remove if he should have any future problems with the light. I have always used the putty tape for mounting stuff. It is pliable and molds to the surface and never hardens. Also easy to remove if that becomes necessary. If you want to use a sealer there are lots of choices that are as good as silicone and a lot easier to get off.
My problem so far is my inability of finding the plastic running light covers. And new lights all come with two wire LED lights, and this old BF, has a single wire to a single bulb.

But I shall make note of your recommendation and experience with the sealer. I'm unfamiliar with "putty tape". Have no idea what that is. Do you still agree with using "something" to stick over the inside portion to help prevent moisture from entering?

Thanks. Jess
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Fourwinds wrote:
jlef123 wrote:Two things I did not like about that video showing how to replace a marker light. He used Eterna Bond Tape and silicone sealer to mount the new light. Both products are extremely hard to remove if he should have any future problems with the light. I have always used the putty tape for mounting stuff. It is pliable and molds to the surface and never hardens. Also easy to remove if that becomes necessary. If you want to use a sealer there are lots of choices that are as good as silicone and a lot easier to get off.
My problem so far is my inability of finding the plastic running light covers. And new lights all come with two wire LED lights, and this old BF, has a single wire to a single bulb.

But I shall make note of your recommendation and experience with the sealer. I'm unfamiliar with "putty tape". Have no idea what that is. Do you still agree with using "something" to stick over the inside portion to help prevent moisture from entering?

Thanks. Jess
Your statement that you have only a single wire to a bulb makes no sense to me, unless the fixture itself is grounded somehow. Electricity has to pass through the bulb filament, and that can’t occur with a single wire.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Here is a URL for RV Putty Tape available from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Universal- ... ty+tape+rv

It is very sticky never hardens and can be stuck together and you should cover the entire bottom of the light with a thin layer. This would seal the light to the coach just like depicted on the video using Eterna Bond tape. I replaced a front clearance light on my 2002 RB and it had 2 wires running to it. When I did that I did not even have to run any sealant around the edge of the light. Perhaps the other wire is broken off and is under the fiberglass. You may have to fish around for it. For a replacement lens or entire light check one of the lenses for a number on it and take it or the number to one of the RV parts supply stores that you have in Bakersfield. I'll bet that they will have the exact replacement. I believe they were Bargman lights.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
stevek

Post by stevek »

Bill. I think like this.
One wire/ positive. Neg is thru ground/ metal base.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 12.17.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 12.17.20 PM.png (128.07 KiB) Viewed 9029 times
Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 11.42.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 11.42.33 AM.png (49.78 KiB) Viewed 9032 times
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

stevek wrote:Bill. I think like this.
One wire/ positive. Neg is thru ground/ metal base.
Steve, if the base is grounded, that is functionally a 2-wire system, and a 2-wire LED light can be adapted to work. No such thing as a one wire circuit. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”