Cab over ET Conversion to Cab over Bed

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

LGH

Cab over ET Conversion to Cab over Bed

Post by LGH »

We are attempting to convert our Cab Over ET to a Bed. Does anyone happen to know if any other support are needed except the front end where the "flip over" portion needs to be built?

I've seen the double bed conversion on the site, but we are looking to make a single.

Any thoughts on whether a regular builder/contractor can do this vs. an expensive RV shop. We're planning on removing the ET Center ourselves to save big $$.

Thank you,
Laura & Bryan
dtshep

Re: Cab over ET Conversion to Cab over Bed

Post by dtshep »

Hello, I don't have any answers for you but would like to know if you found a way to complete the overhead bed. If so do you have any pictures. I have a 24' RB. Thank you.
Dean Gradwell

Post by Dean Gradwell »

You should look at my overhead bed. I changed what the factory had and it works very well.
I'm in Jacksonville, Or.

Dean Gradwell
944-6446
2013 Triumph
LGH

Post by LGH »

We removed the ET center, which took about an hour and a 1/2 and then worked with a local RV repair shop to make the modifications.

We still need a matress as the 3" toppers only provide a certain amount of cushion; Found on Amazon ordered in XL for $75 each.

The RV shop cut the wood surrounding the extra storage areas on either side of the cab, allowing for a "lip" which provides the support and stability to hold the wood above. They then used a "piano hinge" so the board could completely flap over as an option. We flapped it over once, and then found that the sleeping bags and other travel bags were to bulky and this area acted as good storage between locations as well as extra insulation from over cab noise.

You can probably do this for way less as we paid about $400 for the carpentry to ensure it was being done right.

Hope these images help with any of you trying to make a conversion!

If you need more images, I can email them, as I can only upload three.
Attachments
You'll notice this isn't perfect since the topper fits over the wood lined area, but didn't want to take out the support & integrity.  It's such a long area, pillows usually cover the wood anyway.
You'll notice this isn't perfect since the topper fits over the wood lined area, but didn't want to take out the support & integrity. It's such a long area, pillows usually cover the wood anyway.
BF 5.JPG (63.03 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
BF 3.JPG
BF 3.JPG (79.81 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
BF 1.JPG
BF 1.JPG (75.26 KiB) Viewed 3398 times

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”