1999 Onan Emeral Propane generator

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

dtshep

1999 Onan Emeral Propane generator

Post by dtshep »

Hello all, I have a 1999 24RB with a deisel 7.3. It came with an Onan emeral 4000 generaltor, propane. I got it started and ran great for an hour and a half. Pushed the AC with no problem. Has 253 hours on it. It had been sitting for a while. Two days later I tried to start it again. It started but shut right off. It is not the low oil switch. I had a mechanic look at it but did not remove it from the coach. He said that it was not making enough volts and it would have to be rebuilt. I called a generator expert from local RV store. He was acting like it was no big deal to work on it except you need to take it out of the coach. Then i told him the model and year and he told my to buy a new one because you can't get parts.
Anybody deal with the old onan's? David
whemme

Re: 1999 Onan Emeral Propane generator

Post by whemme »

Call a Cummins engine factory shop. Cummins owns Oman and they generally employ an Oman generator service technician. However their labor rates are not cheap!
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
dtshep

Post by dtshep »

Thank you for the info. I will give them a call.
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Go to this site:
https://www.flightsystems.com/troubleshooting/

Download the appropriate Onan troubleshooting guide.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”