My first leak, how to fix?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

My first leak, how to fix?

Post by stevek »

Well, my 1st leak in my 2011 :shock: .
Leak is on the rear corner, passenger side.
So, I need to remove the vinyl "tape" covering on the joint? and then what? Take out screws?
I notice the "tape" is continuous all around the back of the Born Free. So I will need to to remove 6-8 feet.
Should I buy new "tape"?
I am on the road. Raining very hard here. About 2 inches today.
Of course need to wait for dry weather before I fix.
I know there has been previous post on leaks, but was never really sure in my mind what to do? Thanks
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 7.11.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 7.11.47 PM.png (256.66 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
whemme

Re: My first leak, how to fix?

Post by whemme »

Steve, is it wet in that area shown in your photo or is it just gray in color but not wet?
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
stevek

Post by stevek »

Bill, its wet.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
whemme

Post by whemme »

You will need to remove the vinyl tape clear across the top back seam area. Don't know if you will need to remove any screws but if any are rusted they need to be replaced with stainless steel screws. Anyway, the seam area will need to be re-chalked all the way across the top of the coach, not just in the corner of the leak.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
SteveLombardi

Post by SteveLombardi »

Steve K, I had the same problem in my 2012 25 RB when it was 2 years old. The leak was in the seam between the rear wall end cap and the roof. Substantial water could be seen in the carpet on the inside around the rear roll bar area. I was lucky to have the factory fix it.

I found the leak while on the road so I took temporary measures to stop water from entering by using regular old duct tape. I applied it over the exterior white trim strip covering the actual seam. I used a double width of tape and started about a foot down the seam on the sidewall and went completely across the roof top and down the other side another foot. That stopped the leak for about a week until I got home and removed the tape.

I don't know exactly how the factory fixed it but I do know the 1 inch wide white trim strip on the outside is only decorative and is held on with double stick tape. The real seal is underneath where the rear wall fiberglass cap overlays the fiberglass roof top. It is held together with screws and a sealant. Bill was the fella that worked on it at the factory and in his words he said he dug out some old sealant, put in some new sealant and then tightened and added some screws. I suspect one could just slap some Eterna-Bond tape over the seam but I would resist doing that for no other reason than it's ugly.

The aspect of the repair I didn't understand was how he got the white trim strip refastened to the surface. It appears to be the same trim that was originally there but I'm puzzled as to how it was reattached without fresh double stick tape. It looked as good as new.

They did an interior air pressure test with bubbly water on the outside to prove the repair was effective. I still do this myself once in awhile to be satisfied everything it tight.

Hope this info helps you.
2012 25RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”