Sirius Satellite XM Radio antenna location.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dave Rotelle

Sirius Satellite XM Radio antenna location.

Post by Dave Rotelle »

We recently activated the XM Satellite radio in our 2013 Freedom and our reception is not very good. Does anyone know where the receiver for the antenna is located.

I traced the antenna wire from the back of the radio, it goes behind the glove box and into the side wall in front of the passenger door but I'm not sure where it goes from there?

Thank you!

Dave
2013 Freedom Front Lounge.
Purchased November 2017.
whemme

Re: Sirius Satellite XM Radio antenna location.

Post by whemme »

It is not the location of the XM receiver that is important. It is the location of the antenna that affects good reception. I have a portable XM system in my Born Free and thru trial and error I mounted the antenna to the upper ceiling wall of the cab over. Good reception in that area.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
stevek

Post by stevek »

This may not help you?
Pic is of my sirius/xm radio antenna installed by the Born Free factory on my 2011. My reception is great. Good luck. 8)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 4.40.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 4.40.09 PM.png (319.48 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Dave Rotelle

Post by Dave Rotelle »

Thank you Bill and Steve. Steve the photograph you sent of your antenna is what I was referring to as my (receiver). I found the wire for the antenna but I don't know where my Antenna is, It's not anywhere obvious like yours. I didn't have a lot of time to investigate, your picture should help me locate it.
If I can't find the antenna and it's buried somewhere I think I'll take Bill's advice and run a new antenna, I found some online for $14.00.

Dave
2013 Freedom Front Lounge.
Purchased November 2017.
midnightpumpkin

Post by midnightpumpkin »

Like Bill, I mounted the XM radio antenna on the ceiling of the cabover. The antenna must be mounted with the magnetic side down (don't ask how I know). A small patch of velcro holds it nicely to the ceiling. The signal strength display on the Onyx Plus shows 100%. I routed the cable up the rubber door molding and tucked it behind the fabric never leaving the interior of the coach.
XM antenna location
XM antenna location
20210226_131648.jpg (40.53 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
stevek

Post by stevek »

I don't listen anymore to XM. Why pay a monthly fee, when a lot of the same is free on my phone?
What do you listen to that is worth the $$? Sports maybe?
Steve
CA/OR border
midnightpumpkin

Post by midnightpumpkin »

stevek wrote:I don't listen anymore to XM. Why pay a monthly fee, when a lot of the same is free on my phone?
What do you listen to that is worth the $$? Sports maybe?
Willies Roadhouse!
stevek

Post by stevek »

Oh yes... Willie, I am big fan too. Lots of classic country on my phone. My favorite on Sirius/XM when I had it, was Old Time Radio. Now I listen to all that on my phone too.
Steve
CA/OR border
ebaron

Post by ebaron »

I guess I took the more difficult route and mounted mine on the roof above the front roll bar. Never any reception issues though. Believe I found a route from dash, A pillar, console, then up roll bar. I was also adding a rear camera and rear floodlight , with switches in upper console, plus an airbag controller, so already had everything apart.
Ed
2008 27RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”