Strong Gasoline Smell, intermittently

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

brenda&linus

Strong Gasoline Smell, intermittently

Post by brenda&linus »

Hi. I purchased my Born Free at Thanksgiving 2018, and with it now January 2019, I’ve had it about two months. It is a 2005 24RB. On the first trip I took with it I started smelling a very strong gasoline odor toward the rear of the RV. That was New Years Eve. Since then, it happens occasionally but not every time I drive it. I’ve been on a two week trip with it and it was fine for several days but the last two days it has been happening again. Sometimes the scent is noticeable up in the cab area, but then it is much stronger towards the rear. And even once the smell clears out by running the fan and keeping the windows open, it can still be found when you open the cabinets under the sink and stove. I guess I’d like to know if anyone knows what this most likely is and if it will work to take it to an auto service center or if I need to take it to an RV service center: I know that gasoline is a chassis issue, but since the generator uses the same gas, and therefore the fuel lines to that could potentially be involved, I am wondering if an RV service center would be smarter. Any info and insight is appreciated!
Brenda E
2005 Born Free 24RB (Ford E450 V10)
Purchased Nov. 2018
26,000 miles
DeanPreston

Re: Strong Gasoline Smell, intermittently

Post by DeanPreston »

It could be the gasoline filler tube hose going to the gas tank. I used top off the tank on my 1998 Born Free and the ethanol in the fuel softened the rubber hose and caused it to disintegrate. Now I don't top off when filling with fuel.
Dean Preston
Past President, Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club
2013 24-foot Rear Bath, MOR/ryde Suspension, Twin Inclining Beds and Cab Over Bed
2014 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Flexfuel
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate
perleys

Post by perleys »

I has an issue with gas smell and also leaking and was the low pressure gas line that ran to my generator. I got it repaired at my auto mechanic on that one.
brenda&linus

Post by brenda&linus »

Thank you both for your replies! I have made an appointment at a Ford dealer and service department in Greer, SC and mentioned both of your comments/experiences to the service writer. He made it sound like it wouldn’t be a problem for them to find the source and fix it. I’ll post back her after it’s fixed later next week in case it will help anyone else. Cheers!
Brenda E
2005 Born Free 24RB (Ford E450 V10)
Purchased Nov. 2018
26,000 miles
Dave Rotelle

Post by Dave Rotelle »

Hello Dean,
We visited Mor/ryde several years ago with our 2003 24' RB. At the time they said our 2003 was not a good fit for the Mor/ryde system. We recently had Mor/ryde quote me a price for our 2013 Freedom.

Are you happy with the Mor/ryde system, and did they install it for you?

Thank you,
Dave Rotelle
2013 23' FreedoB
2013 Freedom Front Lounge.
Purchased November 2017.
DeanPreston

Post by DeanPreston »

Dave Rotelle wrote:Hello Dean,
We visited Mor/ryde several years ago with our 2003 24' RB. At the time they said our 2003 was not a good fit for the Mor/ryde system. We recently had Mor/ryde quote me a price for our 2013 Freedom.

Are you happy with the Mor/ryde system, and did they install it for you?

Thank you,
Dave Rotelle
2013 23' FreedoB
Dave,
I heard that the 24-foot Born Frees were not a good fit for the MOR/ryde suspension, so I asked the Born Free factory to leave room around the holding tanks for it when they built my new coach. They said they were an authorized MOR/ryde installer and put it on my 2013 model before adding the coach on top. I really like it. It raises the chassis and body up so that I don't need air bags or Super Springs. The most noticeable improved ride is when the motor home crosses bridge joints and railroad tracks.
Dean
Dean Preston
Past President, Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club
2013 24-foot Rear Bath, MOR/ryde Suspension, Twin Inclining Beds and Cab Over Bed
2014 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Flexfuel
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate
Dave Rotelle

Post by Dave Rotelle »

Good Afternoon Dean,

I apologize that I never thanked you for your response. I must have missed it, I didn't know you had responded until today. I had thought about contacting you directly several times to ask you how you like the Mor/ryde.
I'm still considering installing them, apparently they will work on our coach based on the measurements I gave them.

I have tried several things to improve the ride on our 23rb. with negligible improvement. I added the sumo springs front and rear, Bilstein comfort shocks front and rear and sulastic shackles on the rear leaf springs.

I would be willing to try the Mor/ryde system if it helps with the jarring on the backend of the coach when you cross seams in the road etc.

Hope things are good in Florida!

Thanks again,
Dave
2013 Freedom Front Lounge.
Purchased November 2017.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”