Wannabe One of You

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

John n Jane

Wannabe One of You

Post by John n Jane »

Greetings! I don't see a forum to introduce myself, so I guess this will one will do. Wife and have been RVing for over 30 years and have always had a Chinook class c, which I consider to be on par with Born Free. Had a few class b's sprinkled in the mix over the years. I'm retired and looking for a little more room in an RV than we have in our Chinook. A cab over sure would be nice. I'll post my desires in the Wanted Forum. I see just what I'm looking for in Oregon, but the dealer has it so over priced beyond NADA value I don't see any need to talk to him. But as soon as I find what I'm looking for and make a purchase it I can be one of you. Looking forward to that day and then attending some of your gatherings and meeting some of you.
Dave Rotelle

Re: Wannabe One of You

Post by Dave Rotelle »

Sounds exciting John and Jane hope you find a Born Free that meets your needs. We are on our fourth Born Free and couldn't be happier. Currently we're spending the night in our BF at our Daughter and son in laws, 12 degrees with snow on the ground...…. :)

Good luck keep us posted.

Dave and Roberta.
Attachments
Joy and Kyle's 1-25-19.png
Joy and Kyle's 1-25-19.png (540.81 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
12 degrees in Guys Mills.png
12 degrees in Guys Mills.png (263.24 KiB) Viewed 7582 times
2013 Freedom Front Lounge.
Purchased November 2017.
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Old but good.
We've owned our 1993 Born Free 21, for two months and our very impressed how well it's stood up after 26 years. I've been getting it ready for an 8 month trip to the Northwest, parking it in my front yard while I work. As a result we've had about 100 tours, everyone is impressed and those in the 'RV know' often comment that Born Frees are known to be solidly built.

Of course our Born Free is none too large though it's at least 50% larger than our Scamp 16 fiberglass trailer. We were not looking for bigger but were always interested in the Born Free and opportunity knocked.

Outside of new tires our biggest repair will be the fuel pump replacement.

Wish you well in your hunt for a Born Free. By the way the thread titled Newbie describes our journey getting the rig ready.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
John n Jane

Post by John n Jane »

Thanks for the welcome Dave and Roberta. Your coach sure looks warm and inviting, at least inside. Have to love those thermo pane windows. No reason why more owners can't get out more in the winter time. Just be prepared.
BornNorm, you're a man after my own heart. Tear it apart and make it better. However, my wife says this his coach, when I get one, must be 100% road ready. Just add fuel and a maps. Yes dear, whatever you say. :wink: Btw, I do still use paper maps. The grandkids think they're comic books.
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Maps.
Ginny is a map person as well, when we started not so much but is really good at it now. Our 1993's first owner made it to all the states and then sold the rig to the second owner who only used it a few times a year. We found a box with maps of virtually every state from the early 90's.

We've owned 4 different RVs. No matter their condition I' always making it our own. As you travel, like living in a traditional home, you learn what you need to be comfortable or to make road life easier. There has never been a year without a significant modification. If we keep the Born Free we'll add solar panels, lithium batteries, and a larger gray tank. On our way back east we'll stop and have the jacks upgraded.

Best to you.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
Dave Rotelle

Post by Dave Rotelle »

I made some modifications (tore it apart a bit) to our 23 Freedom after we purchased it in an effort to make it similar to our 2003 RB.

Enclosed are a couple before and after pictures.
Dave
Attachments
k5.png
k5.png (616.85 KiB) Viewed 7485 times
2.png
2.png (516.96 KiB) Viewed 7485 times
Purchased November 2017.
Dave Rotelle

Post by Dave Rotelle »

Before and after of the cab area.
Attachments
k21.png
k21.png (588.34 KiB) Viewed 7484 times
4.png
4.png (353.88 KiB) Viewed 7484 times
Purchased November 2017.
jjhepkin

Post by jjhepkin »

Hi John
I enjoyed reading your message. especially in light of our shared experiences:

Our first coach was a chinook and we loved the quality and freedom of going pretty much anywhere we wanted due to the size and ease of parking and handling. We found it on one of the online sellers and after much discussion with the dealer, we decided to buy and flew to Pennsylvania (we live in denver) and drove it home. As I said the quality was first rate, but it was just a little too small. (we had the 2004 Destiny 24' model). As you know it has the fold out bed ; but, just not enough room for the two of us to sleep comfortably.

After a couple of years we found a 2009, 28' RSB Born Free listed on Craigs List down in the Orlando area. Again, we talked it over and ended up driving down and bringing it home. This one proved to be a perfect size and the extra 4' really worked out great for us. The quality and workmanship of the Born Free compares to the Chinook very well.

So I would encourage you to not leave any stone unturned as you look around the country. The Born Free is worth the wait and trouble you may spend as you look.

Good luck in your search.

john and janet hepkin
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
John n Jane

Post by John n Jane »

Dave, all I can say is WOW! Your changes have taken your coach from what appeared to be a TV viewing room on the road to a very inviting coach. I'm sure Roberta gets much of the credit for the décor. Only thing missing is a fireplace. Did you do the table woodworking? If you did it looks like top notch work. Adding a few "stickies" to the cab area gives it some real class.

BornNorm, you have quite a "to do" list. Making changes and mods, at least to me, are a large part of the fun of owning an RV. Make it your own! Do need some pictures Norm of your progress.

John Hepkin, thanks for your post. Glad we both enjoy quality builds. I did try two Pleasure Ways and a Roadtrek over the years, but the wife was not happy with the small space. And we all know how that goes. 28' is more that I'll wiling to go to, but after seeing Dave's coach I'll consider 23' and 24'.
And yes, flying to get what you want seems to be a requirement. I once flew to Melboure, Fl to buy a Chinook form a private party that didn't turn out to match the pictures or the talk. Rented a car and for a long unhappy drive home. Buying used can be tough.

Thanks to all.

John and Jane
Dave Rotelle

Post by Dave Rotelle »

John I was able to use the material from this slide out table and cabinet to make our current table and cabinet. I built a sample cabinet out of some old plywood first to get my size and shape correct.

If I wasn't a farmer I think I could really enjoy working in an RV factory, I've been intrigued by them since we owned our first 1997 Minnie Winnie. :D
Attachments
k23.png
k23.png (811.84 KiB) Viewed 7413 times
Purchased November 2017.
Dave Rotelle

Post by Dave Rotelle »

Picture of slide out table cabinet.
Attachments
Cabinet.png
Cabinet.png (537.74 KiB) Viewed 7410 times
Purchased November 2017.
John n Jane

Post by John n Jane »

Evening, Dave. I'm with you when it comes to building furniture or cabinets for an RV, do a mockup. Kinda like measure twice, cut once. With a limited amount of matching material
you don't want to make any mistakes. Even with matching material it still takes skill to end up with the finished product that you have.

BTW, stick to farming. I tried working in a factory when I was very young, it wasn't any fun.

Stay warm. John

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”