no spare tire

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Re: no spare tire

Post by Dallas Baillio »

On a recent road trip of 7,000 miles I had two flats, one of which was my fault. At the Alberquerque, NM airport, to pick up two of my grandchildren, I got a bit to close to the curb when making a turn and sheared off the valve stem on my front left tire. Within 50 feet the tire lost all air.

The other flat was on US highway 89 between Page AZ and the Grand Canyon. My tire monitoring system prevented a blowout.

Conclusions: Carry a spare and have a tire monitoring system.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

Cordless impact ...+1
perleys

Post by perleys »

Thanks Dallas! A tire pressure monitoring system is on my list to get this summer!
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Last winter while crossing New Mexico one of my duals started throwing tread just out of Pie Town. This is a tiny town out in the middle of the desert with only two businesses, both cafes. Each is featuring 'Pie'. It's an early Sunday morning and both are closed. Asked a local where I could get a tire and was told 20 miles down the road and go to the second of two gas stations. Luckily the tread didn't let loose in one piece. I limped along slowly down the road expecting the station to be closed and if open no way they would have a tire. They were open and had a 'no-name' tire in stock. I went across the street and had breakfast. I didn't ask how much the tire would be. I didn't have any other options anyway. He charged me a total of $130. I was expecting twice that much.

I still don't carry a spare. The way I see it, I have the tools if I need to swap a wheel. If you aren't able to handle the task you can always call for roadside assistance and have them take care of it and then proceed to a town where you can buy a new tire.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
perleys

Post by perleys »

Wow great story Tom, did you go back and least get a piece of pie with your tire savings?! I will need assistance no matter what happens since I can't even lift one of those truck tires. I can roll it but not lift it!
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

[quote="perleys"]Wow great story Tom, did you go back and least get a piece of pie with your tire savings?! I will need assistance no matter what happens since I can't even lift one of those truck tires. I can roll it but not lift it![/quote]

You do not need to lift it to change it? Roll the tire up to the wheel hub; aligned as closely as possible to the pattern of the studs. Y=Then put your legs on either side of the tire while sitting and facing the tire/hub. By slowly moving your legs together you will raise the tire to the height where you can push the tire onto the bub and secure loosely with one nut. After that its easy. Sometimes its hard to find enough height in your seated position because the side of the verge falls away (when mounting a passenger side tire for example) so thats the opportunity to pull some of that "stuff" out of the RV to raise your butt sufficiently to do the scissors thing with your legs to raise the tire.

BTDT and got ants up my rear for the privilege but it works and as far as I have been able to work out, the only way to raise a real tire (19.5 "+) other than using some sort of sloped surface or a series of 2x4s to create a ramp but I find them hard to adjust to the precise height needed.
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

The spare tire carrier in my previous post has a handle and allows you to rotate the spare down to the ground without having to lift the entire weight .
2012 25' rb

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”