No power to outlets when connected to shore power

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

admoffat

No power to outlets when connected to shore power

Post by admoffat »

We have a 2016 Royal Splendor with an FX2012MT Outback inverter, a MATE2M System Controller, and two solar panels. Things were working fine on shore power for the last day. Today, after disconnecting power, moving the coach a few feet and then reconnecting to shore power, we found we had no AC power to the outlets. The microwave still received power. We were using only one 25' shore power cord, i.e. no extension cord.

Here's the behavior we're seeing. For all of these scenarios, the cut-off switch by the generator (the one that sends power to the inverter) is in the ON position.

No shore power: AC IN light on inverter controller is NOT lit. INV light on inverter controller is lit. No microwave power. 120V to outlets.
Shore power connected: AC IN light on inverter controller is lit. INV light on inverter controller is NOT lit. Microwave is powered. 120V to outlets for 15 seconds, then no AC power.

Have I messed up some settings on the controller? Is there a problem with the inverter or controller? When I read through the controller manual, the menus and buttons are explained, but there's no indication as to how the controller should be set up.

Thanks for any advice and help.
2016 Royal Splendor
Verona, WI
davids.moffat@outlook.com
shilohdad

Re: No power to outlets when connected to shore power

Post by shilohdad »

Try unplugging from shore power, then turn both the inverter and battery switches to the off position for a minute. Then try plugging in to shore power, turn on the battery switch, then the inverter switch. This is in essence trying the equivalent of a Windows 3 finger salute!

If all else fails, call Outback support. The number should be in the manual. For stuff like this they are pretty responsive.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Just a guess.

The outlets in my Born Free were all connected to a GFI breaker. In the past I've found that they can trip easily. I removed mine and replaced it with a normal breaker. When I replaced my power unit I virtually doubled the number of AC breakers with all circuits having their connected them to regular breakers when I doubled the number of AC breakers.

I suspect that if you check your breaker panel you'll find the GFI breaker has tripped.

Good luck.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
admoffat

Post by admoffat »

Thanks.

I spent some time with Outback support and the conclusion was that we had a welded relay in the inverter. This can happen if you switch from shore power to battery power, or vice-versa, with a load to the inverter, for example a 1.5kW heater fan. Because the inverter is only 2kW, this can cause arcing in the relay, ultimately fusing the contacts. The support person directed me to Photon Electric in Millersburg, IN for a replacement and installation. https://www.myenergywarehouse.com/.

We felt we were done troubleshooting so the support person hung up. (Earlier in the conversation I had connected the coach to shore power and experienced the same symptoms as in my original post.) I figured, what the heck, so I pressed the INV hot key on the controller. There was nothing terribly useful on the screen, so I pressed the OK soft key (I'm not 100% sure that this was the key I pressed, but it's the most innocuous choice). As I was getting up out of the stairwell, I noticed that I had power to the outlets. I cycled through the screens and saw input and output voltage to/from the inverter and current flowing to the circuits and the battery charger. I felt that this confirmed my original suspicion that the problem lay in a configuration issue with the controller, despite what the support person said.

I'm not exactly sure what happened and I'm not completely convinced that there's not a problem lurking somewhere. For the time being, though, we have power so we can head to warmer climes. (It's not fun troubleshooting with temperatures in the high teens.)

The important take-away from this was make sure you have any high wattage appliances turned off before connecting to or disconnecting from shore power.
2016 Royal Splendor
Verona, WI
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

See my later posts on similar electrical questions.

I had exactly the same aha moment, thinking my gfi had failed. It was because I had the inverter master switched off while on shore power. Some of my circuits (probably like yours) are wired to run through the inverter and it has to be ON for those circuits to receive shore power after powering on the inverter. Once the relay in the inverter is closed, you can turn the inverter off at the Mate2 without losing power in the inverter circuits.

I do find that I need the Mate2 inverter ON activated when running on the generator to handle the start up surge of the a/c otherwise the TV goes into retune mode after an a/c cycles on in hot weather.
admoffat

Post by admoffat »

Today we have no AC to the outlets while on shore power. The inverter is on, at least according to the summary screen on the MATE2.

Maybe there's something not right with the inverter. Perhaps the relay isn't fused, but sticky (and the weird weather we've been having probably isn't helping). I think we'll bite the bullet and order a new relay and see about getting it installed on the road (we're leaving tomorrow).

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find where the inverter is mounted? I have no idea. I don't know if it's in the coach or under it.
2016 Royal Splendor
Verona, WI
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

My 2015 Splendor (E450 Chassis) has the outback inverter mounted behind the rear axle on the drivers side, as I recall. Haven't seen it since I picked up the coach at the factory. Not sure where it is mounted on the F550 chassis.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

It's in the same place on my 550 Triumph. Looks like a black football. But I don't think it has any replaceable components. I think you may have a transfer switch problem; or a problem at your main inverter switch.

JIC, did you try to start your connection from an all OFF status. As follows:
1) Switch on 12 v
2) Connect to shore power
3) Switch on Main inverter
4) Switch on Mate2 inverter.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”