Caster BFT

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Escape

Caster BFT

Post by Escape »

Has anyone had to replace the caster in the rear of the RV? Mine is just a metal wheel - it tears up my driveway

Thanks

Steve
BFT 22 foot 2008
Steve & Sally
2008 Born Free BFT Cabover
nebraska built 4 two

Re: Caster BFT

Post by nebraska built 4 two »

1998 Built for Two, 21'
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I’ve replaced mine twice. Was surprised to find a local store that sold only casters! Second time Home Depot.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
DeanPreston

Post by DeanPreston »

"Has anyone had to replace the caster in the rear of the RV? Mine is just a metal wheel - it tears up my driveway"

2008 and newer models just had steel wheels to protect the bottom of the Born Free. There weren't any castors.
There are two things you can try to not drag on your driveway.
(1) Enter the driveway at a forty-five degree angle.
(2) Put some boards at the curb to smooth the angle of the approach.
Dean Preston
Past President, Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club
2013 24-foot Rear Bath, MOR/ryde Suspension, Twin Inclining Beds and Cab Over Bed
2014 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Flexfuel
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

The castors on my BF drag often, not just when entering my driveway. So often that I ignore it. Evidently highway engineers and civil engineers face situations where they cannot avoid short steep entrance/exits. I try to use the 45 degree angle Dean Preston recommends but often you are in heavy traffic and have committed yourself to a turn lane or either don’t see the angle before it is too late to avoid. Is the 26ft length model more likely to drag than shorter BF models? Also my BF always has a max load on the rear axle so it probably sit closer to the pavement.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Dallas, our 2017 Spirit (a.k.a. 24 Rear Bath) drags frequently also. Perhaps a bit more than our 26RB did. We also notice that some intersections are worse than others (also the bottom of our driveway since getting it paved). We just go with the flow and take turns slowly. ‘Tis the way life is. And, yes, we are pack rats with a fairly heavy rear axle.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”