Shock absorbers

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tomzleapin

Shock absorbers

Post by tomzleapin »

I've got almost 100k miles on my coach and figure it's time for new shocks. I'm trying to decide between Bilstein or Monroe.

Available at RockAuto:
$47.79 MONROE 555010 Magnum RV Load Adjusting Rear
$48.79 MONROE 555031 Magnum RV Front
$91.79 BILSTEIN 33176840 Rear
$91.79 BILSTEIN 33187563 Front

Bilstein are highly rated but cost almost twice as much as Monroe. Anybody have experience with Monroe shocks and are Bilstein worth twice the price?
Last edited by tomzleapin on Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Steve W

Re: Shock absorbers

Post by Steve W »

I have just had new shocks installed on our 2007 24RB. From what research I did, my choice was either Bilsteins or Konis. From a number of sources, including several mechanics, I learned that while the Bilstein is a great shock, it is stiffer than the Koni and better suited to large trucks. My brother-in-law has had Konis installed on his 2006 BFT and is quite happy with them. To date, I am also. The ride is definitely an improvement on the stock Ford shocks.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
lbow2459

Post by lbow2459 »

Replaced ours at appx 80,000 mi. with Bilsteins. Makes it a real joy to drive, & could not believe the difference!
Larry and Jane
2006 24RB Casual Elegance
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

My main concern is ride quality. Here's a link to a test comparison:
http://www.motorhome.com/tech/diy/shock ... rber-test/

The test was done on a Class A and is a bit dated. The test states that the Koni FSD shocks were a harsher ride than the Bilstein. Right now I'm leaning toward Bilstein on the front and Monroe on the rear. The Monroe rear shock has an added coil spring. I think that my leaf springs have sagged a bit over the years so the added spring may help.

I'm in Florida right now and I'll tackle the shocks when I return home the first week of May.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
Bannister2014

Post by Bannister2014 »

I just installed a new set of Bilsteins on my '04 26RSB. The difference in ride quality, stability and noise was significant. The whole driving experience was transformed for the better.

The original shocks had 68k on them. 3 had lost their pressurization and the 4th was binding up when compressed. This is the best $$$ I have spent on my BF. :lol:

Rock Auto has the best prices for these, along with FAST shipping.

Installation on the driver's side, front and rear, was a pain, but doable. :x The passenger side was easy. A tip...be safe if attempting this yourself. I used a pneumatic jack to get the wheels completely off the ground and then supported the BF with a 12T jack stand.

Since you'll be under the BF while removing and installing, you sure don't want that beast falling down on you. You will need to remove the front wheels for access, so safety is even more critical. You can leave the duals on while doing the rear, so that's not as dangerous, but you still want to be careful.

With the wheels completely off the ground, there's no need to compress the Bilsteins before installing them (a common complaint). The top nut on the front driver's shock can be accessed through a plug in the floorboard. To keep the shock from turning while removing the nut, you can clamp on to the upper shock skirt with a large pair of vice grips. Accessing the nut intended to keep the shock from turning is almost impossible, so this method worked for me. You're going to toss the old shocks, anyway. You can reach the nut on the Bilsteins from beneath the BF, so no issue there.
Bannister2014
2003 26RSB Casual Elegance
2008 Smart cabrio TOAD
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Thanks for the info. I still haven't done mine. I now have 108k on my coach and it's on my long list of things to do. I'm back in Florida again and will tackle it when I return home in the spring.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

To hold the upper shock nut, I used a thin wood router wrench and nylon tied to the coil spring.

Once the frame is securely sitting on jack stands and the wheels have been choked, I use painted cardboard (much less resistance than regular cardboard) to slide under the coach. A creeper is typically too high to allow rolling around.

I installed 4 - Bilsteins-Heavy Duty. The cornering sway is very limited and the wind whip from semi's is also limited. Huge improvement with the new shocks. The coach also has a Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer, MOOG polyurethane sway bar bushings (front & rear) on factory sway bars and Michelin tires. Alignment completed at a shop with Bear Alignment equipment.
Attachments
Thin wrench on shock
Thin wrench on shock
IMG_3308.JPG (29.37 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
Cardboard under coach
Cardboard under coach
IMG_4156.JPG (36.46 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I finally got around to replacing my shocks. I went with Bilstein on the front and Monroe with the coil over on the rear. Good thing I have skinny fingers because a couple of spots are near impossible to get to.

Monroes on Amazon were $99.46 free shipping plus tax = $106.94 for the pair.
Bilsteins from AJUSA.com were $158.28 total for the pair. Free shipping no tax.
Amazon wanted $220.60 total.

Went for a short test drive which included some interstate and rough side streets and the ride is much improved. I will be heading for Montana in a few days which will be the ultimate test. Roads will vary from interstate to dirt forest roads.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

For other readers of this string, know this: shock settings are a function of valving and internal pressures and not the manufacturer. A particular manufacturer model # may vary the valving and pressures at any time without notice. so you cannot rely on what others have experienced or in fact what you have found with an identical ore predecessor model bought 6 years ago for the same application. All you can hope for is that they give you a life that is worth the cost. I know this because I used to make them and I race cars with 3 way adjustable capabilities meaning that I can adjust compression, rebound and gas pressure. 2 clicks of adjustment can be the difference between a shock that works for a track and one that does not. Of course "ride" and "control" are much wider dimensions of the same issue but the manufacturer does not disclose enough about the shock to determine the difference between a Munroe, a Koni, a Bilstein or stock for anyone to guess at what will work best. with that said I have Bilsteins on both my BF and Sportsmobile and find them firm (probably compression) and sway resistant with a heavy load on the hitch.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”