Deisel 6.0 or gas V10?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Wildlands1

Deisel 6.0 or gas V10?

Post by Wildlands1 »

Humans, I'm looking at mid to early 2000's BF 26' RSB's. A diesel one is 2004, with a 2003 6.0 diesel. Another is a gas Triton V10. Is the diesel really more economical when one figures in the higher cost/gallon and higher maintenance costs? I've always heard the smaller 6.0 is not nearly as good as the older 7.3 Powerstrokes. Both have similar 100-130,000 miles on them. What is the actual MPG difference normally? What say ya'll?
Dallas Baillio

Re: Deisel 6.0 or gas V10?

Post by Dallas Baillio »

This subject along with gas mileage and tires come up so often, that if you use the search link above, you will be overwhelmed with opinion, facts and personal preference. Here is a link to one I started.

https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... sel+vs+gas
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

The 6.0 can be an excellent diesel . The 6.0 has many serious and expensive issues , especially the early versions . If the one you are looking at has had the improvements done to it you would be good to go . If improvements have not been done a $5,000 cushion in your budget would be wise . Find a good diesel shop with 6.0 experience to help guide you . You could just buy the V10.
2012 25' rb
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

It's simple for me.

Diesels cost more to purchase. General maintenance costs are more. In most states diesel is dramatically more expensive, though not where we are in Washington and Oregon. IN thos two states all forms of vehicle fuel is expensive.

Most RVers drive very few miles in a year. The two motorhomes we purchased averaged 3-5000 miles a year. At least half the population lives in the eastern half of the country where hills are rare and up hill runs are short.

When we had a gas motorhome we made several loops of the USA. It turns out that long up hill runs are relatively rare. True diesels are faster up hill. There's no doubt that some people do not like the lack of low end power in a gas engine.

My view is the long climbs are relatively rare, even our here in the west, happening only a couple of times a day. For me the larger concern is the long downhill runs that follow the up hill climb.

We just purchased a 26 year old Born Free with 73,000 miles on it. This year we are doing a loop of the USA over 8 months. I'm certain we will not travel more than 10,000 miles this year. If we do that 5 more ties the engine will be up to 130,000 miles or so in 10 years and we'll be 87.

Both solutions are good. If you're a 'charger', someone who needs to drive fast, who wants to cover the maximum distance in a day, wants to tow a big trailer with a heavy car inside, get a diesel. For people like me a gas solution works, I like the fact that any where I go I can find a Ford garage to work on my vehicle.

In our road time, I've seen too many diesel repairs that cost a lot.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
John S.

Post by John S. »

If I was looking at that vintage I would carefully check out the Diesel engine for the known faults with that 6.0. Also they are de-rated in the van set up. I have had two v10s and now I have a royal Splendor with a diesel. I love the truck front end vs the van but it was not available in that vintage. I would go with gas as you will get a gas generator as well. It is louder and it screams climbing a hill but it is pretty good. You need to make sure that the plug issue with the V10 has been addressed depending on what year you are looking at. It is not money savings diesel vs gas but longevity and stronger drivetrain. It cost a bit more for more oil but you can do the change yourself. Otherwise a diesel is easier keep running with no coils or plugs to replace. It really comes down to condition on that vintage not really engine type.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
karls

Post by karls »

My gas powered 1998 24RB is running strong at 242,000 miles. Most of the miles have been on interstates cruising at 75 mph pulling a 35', 3000 pound glider trailer. Mileage: 9 MPG. I change the oil once a year at 5 to 10 thousand miles and use synthetic oil.

Until 2003 all Ford engines with aluminum heads (V-6,8,10) had an issue with sparks blowing out (happened to me). (See blownoutsparkplug.com)
Ford fixed the problem in 2003 by increasing the number of threads from 4 to 10.

All other maintenance issues have been the routine stuff you expect to encounter: 2 radiators, spark plugs, new spark coils (10), ball joints, and drive shaft carrier bearing.

If I don't wear out before the mighty Triton I'll have the engine replaced when it does. Love this RV!

Incidentally, an example of the reliability to today's vehicles compared to 50 years ago is this: Those red hot exhaust valves in my engine have opened and slammed shut 242 million times and still perform perfectly!

I'd go for the V-10 rather than a diesel.
4running

Post by 4running »

Hello,

I wanted to respond to this as an auto mechanic and as someone who has now driven both a 6.0 and a 6.8 back to back. I am VERY familiar with the 6.0 as a mechanic. The 6.0 has a poor reputation, and it deserves it, this is not a good diesel in its stock form. For many thousands of dollars you can "bullet proof" your 6.0. But understand you still have a 6.0 that is also prone to other problems in many areas, add to that the fact that the the 6.0 does have some cooling issues in the E series and the 6.0 I feel is a poor choice, unless you are getting it for a steal and the required repairs and upgrades have been performed. The 6.0 tows well in stock form and moved out well in the E series Born Free I drove. (Likely the same Born Free unit the OP is talking about). The engine is louder at idle than the V10 and louder at cruise. I love the turbo sound and I like the diesel clatter at idle these are good noises to me, but you cant escape that this is a LOUD RV. This also forces you into a propane generator which for obvious reasons is not to your advantage.

The V10 on the other hand, is a proven design in its stock form and requires no additional upgrades or repairs to be reliable and has no cooling issues in the E series. In 2005 chassis you can also have the torque shift 5spd. The 2 Valve 6.8 in the E series has a ton of power as well and is cheaper to operate in ALL conditions, towing and empty than the 6.0. The 6.8 can have a synthetic oil change in my driveway for $45. The 6.0 would be about $100. fuel cost, an injector here or there etc etc etc the 6,0 just makes no sense.

I cannot imagine, given the facts, a rational case to own the 6.0. This must be an emotional decision, which is ok! An RV doesn't truly make sense for most people to own either, it is an emotional purchase. If you must have a diesel just be ok with it costing more per mile for very little upside. I of course bought a 6.8 out of Florida and couldn't be happier. It is the second 6.8 in my driveway. Would I rather have a diesel? YES! but I know it doesn't make sense when the 6.8 is so good.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

8) Greetings

We have a 2007 24RB o the Ford E450 chassis. The engine is gas. A suggestion; should you be looking for more torque for the gas engine, you might consider a Banks PowerPack exhaust system. I had it installed on our coach and it definitely provided more torque, which here on the West Coast with all of our various mountain ranges, has made a tremendous difference in climbing the various grades.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”