Inverter not powering 12 volt system

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Richard

Inverter not powering 12 volt system

Post by Richard »

I replaced the 12v house batteries now the only thing that lights up is the MATE2M display panel. There is not power to anything else ,no lights, no 120 v outlets, no refrigerator. Does anyone have any suggestions?
shilohdad

Re: inverter not powerig 12 volt system

Post by shilohdad »

Dumb question: do you have the battery switch turned on? If you only have the Outback inverter/charger turned on, you will not get power to the lights or the DC input of the refrigerator (although you should have voltage to the 120 volt inverted outlets).

It is also possible that you don’t have the batteries connected properly. It is also possible that your new batteries were not really charged when you bought them. Does your control panel above the entry door show what the battery voltage is?
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Richard

Re: inverter not powerig 12 volt system

Post by Richard »

No the voltage indicator above the door does not work. That whole panel is dead.
whemme

Re: Inverter not powering 12 volt system

Post by whemme »

Richard, the title of your post is a little misleading. An inverter does not power your 12 vdc system. The 12 vdc system supplies power to the inverter which generates 120 vac power to selected outlets and ac appliances generally when not connected to shore line power or when running the generator.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

I too have been having issues with mu Outback 2012MT leading me to believe its failed. So putting this out there in case anyone has seen similar or the program is helpful.

I started with working Mate2, Inverter charging, new batteries fully charged and replaced 90 days previously. Drove through heavy rain and thunderstorms. Reached camp, started generator, all working correctly. Hooked up to 50 amps, all working correctly but approximately an hour later, no AC in and no inverter green/on light. Checked 50 amp input but OK. Cycled inverter and 12v manual switches, reconnected 50 amp, and all OK. An hour later, 12v still working but no 110v anywhere. Watched the system for an hour. Occassionally the orange/AC on light would come on, the green/inverter on light would flash and the Mate2 screen would light. The system would stay up for about 15 minutes and go off/dark. This cycle became shorter and shorter, less time on more time off. Eventually I switched the Inverter manual switch off, which shut down the Mate2. 12v remained operable and the generator/50 amp input continued to power the A/C and Microwave.

Discussed this with Outback Power Systems Tech Support. They need a S/N to effect any warranty and to get that you have to remove the Inverter. My Inverter is installed on a shelf welded to the the inboard chassis rail, inboard of the generator. Its too high to view any of the top of the Inverter which is covered by a weather protector and a fan housing requiring the removal of 4 unviewable bolts/screws. There is also not enough cable running from the 12v supply to lower the inverter to the ground because the distance between the inboard edge of the shelf onto which the inverter is bolted and the drive shaft, is too small to lower the 60 lb inverter perched on a floor jack. So it has to be slid forward and off the front edge of the shelf but there is not enough cable to do that. I have to find a way to remove the upper covers of the Inverter; then remove the 2 X 12v power cables, all without being able to see what I am doing. Outback understood this challenge. However until I have done all this, and assuming there is 12v going to the inverter (which I will test before disconnecting the batteries) they cannot help.

Once I have the Inverter removed, opened, I Have to call back and they will run me through some tests on the 2 circuit boards inside that can fail. If one is at fault, they will repair or replace on exchange under the 10 year warranty (I presume) and I would reassemble and coax the whole ting back onto its shelf.

My coach is a 2014 Triumph Royal (F550), I am curious as to whether all the series had their Inverters mounted the way mine has been. It seems they installed it before they put the body on the chassis, and no one ever dealt with an Outback failure/replacement? Is this theory correct?
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

Update:

With some valuable help, I removed the Outback today after doing the only check requested by Tech Support: that 12v was being received by the unit - which it was. The first challenge was removing the turbo/fan cover. Its secured with 4 Phillips head bolts, two of which sheared off and one had been cross threaded. With that off, all the cables were accessible as I had raised the coach on its leveling jacks which gave me enough room to sit up and look rearward across the top of the inverter. Everything then came apart and I was able to slide the unit towards me and lower it onto my legs and then the ground. The replacement was the reverse but there is an arcane statement in the Installation Instructions that says do not connect the Mate2 until you perform the instructions in the Mate Installation Manual. There are none. I guessed that it would be a good idea to test the install before connecting the Mate2 to be sure that the problem really was the Outback. The test verified that the old unit was faulty. I then powered it down (12v off and manual inverter switch off), connected the Mate2 RJ plugs, powered it up, and the Mate2 screen and lights came on showing normal operation. Secured everything including putting anti-seize on the fan cover bolts. Now to strip down the old unit, remove the circuit boards and send them back to Outback for repair/replacement.

Moral of the story - its replaceable but if you are on vacation somewhere you are going to need a lot of tools, some decent ground or material to lie on and the HWH leveling jack system. Then the question is how long can you stay there without any power. I guess a less expensive solution would be to ask Outback to send you new boards (there are 3) and try to get a credit for any you send back unused. But thats huge work removing, stripping, installing, assembling and replacing up to 3 times. OR drive to an RV service center and check into a hotel for up to a week.

Edits: Tech Service does not call back like they claim on their 866 answer service. You must keep calling. Better late in the day. Email responses take 3 days. I also disconnected the battery terminals when I did this job not just the 12v Master.
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

Problem with the Outback turned out to be corrosion of all the innards from water ingestion. The water was coming from the front wheels and is a latent problem I believe for all BF Outback installations.

Here is the thread:
https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... f=4&t=6409
Dogweaver

Post by Dogweaver »

Vlamgat wrote:Problem with the Outback turned out to be corrosion of all the innards from water ingestion. The water was coming from the front wheels and is a latent problem I believe for all BF Outback installations.

Here is the thread:
https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... f=4&t=6409
I too am having problems with my OutBack. How did you get it out? The mounting issue is a real problem. Thanks, Brenda
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

First I jacked up the rig and put some safety stands underneath to give me room to drop the inverter. Next remove the retaining nuts. I cannot recall exactly where they are but none presented a problem. Then remove the front panel which hides the power cables. Then I was able to access the power cables and the data cable on top by sliding the inverter forward a little. Last came the guy thing: I slid the inverter off its mountings onto my chest and then lifted it off my chest onto the ground. It goes back in reverse. I had considered using a floor jack to to remove and replace but it seemed easier to handle it rather than lift and balance on a jack. First time took 30 minutes, second time less than half that.

Have since sealed all the many holes with silicone calk that allow moisture ingress from direct spray and so far, no problems.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”